Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Christian Torch

I'll start off with the personal stuff - I'm 18, about 6-feet-tall and around 165 pounds (soaking wet). I'll have the stick on the ice anywhere from four to seven days a week.

The stick in question is Harrow/Christian's (the companies have merged) re-vamped "Torch" - I am told that this is next year's stick and so, obviously, it's not on shelves yet.

Stick Specs: 100-flex, Pattern #1 (Christian's take on the Easton Forsberg).

Initial Impression

Obviously, the first thing I noticed about the stick were the graphics. Very clean, simple lettering on a nice silver-fade-black shaft. There is a very subtle rubberized (non-textured) grip on the stick which I think is absolutely fantastic. Coming from my AK27/CNT Z-Carbon combos, the stick has a bit of weight to it, but it is by no means "heavy." I think the stick might be a touch hefty in the blade, but I personally don't have a problem with that. The shaft is rounded and the dimensions seem a TAD bit smaller than a lot of other sticks. Shaft tapers (slightly), then flares a bit just above the fuse point (which is visible). The carbon in the blade is done with a tight-ish weave. The curve and lie is bang-on with my Forsberg Z-Carbons.

It should be noted that it appears that Christian will be employing the same serial-number system other companies like Easton are currently putting into play.

After First Use

I just got back from the rink, and...

Unfortunately, I do feel like I lost a considerable amount of pop on my slappers. I can't really explain it, but the puck just feels a bit harder at impact than it does with other sticks I've used. I guess the best I can put it right now is this: if you think of a slapper as a battle between the puck and the blade, it feels like the puck is winning. It's something strange that I hope I'll be able to further nail-down after a few more uses.

My snappers and wristers (which I use FAR more than I'll ever use the big boomer) are spot-on. They come-off quick and hard and accurate; there were even a couple shots which I thought got away far better than they probably should have, given whatever situations (awkward look, rushed...)I might have been in at the time.

When it comes to passing and handling the puck, I'm going to have to say that this stick is just awesome. I did not have one single problem controlling a pass (of any kind, coming from any direction) or rolling or spinning puck all night long. The puck hits and it sticks. Absolutely no problems with vibrations at any time - not even when one-touching a hard pass with authority. Terrific feel for the puck on every part of the blade - heel-to-toe, forehand and backhand. I'm impressed.

My only complaint in this department is that I made a few saucer passes (which usually aren't a problem for me) that fluttered/wobbled a bit. For now, I'm going to blame it on bad ice - but this is an issue I'm going to be sure to keep my eye on in the long run.

It's early, I know, but I can say that this stick feels quite solid and that I don't THINK durability will be an issue. I put a beating on this stick tonight - one-timers, one-touch passes, tipped/blocked shots, some work on the boards, etc. - and, aside from some chips in the paint. The blade hasn't lost any stiffness at all, and the shaft feels great. I've had sticks broken by much less, much quicker.

First, I apologize for letting this much time pass between written reviews. School sucks.

I’ve used the sticks for a number of weeks now; I’m usually on the ice anywhere from four to seven times a week.

First off, I have to say that this stick is holding-up very, very well. The shaft still feels very solid – the graphics and grip have chipped a little down toward the bottom of the shaft, but that’s to be expected with any stick. No deep nicks, no cracking and no softening.

Amazingly, the blade is still as it was on the day I received the stick in the mail. It’s just as stiff; no twisting, no internal crumbling…nothing. Probably the single most durable stick I’ve ever used.

The stick’s feel is slightly above average as most of today’s OPS are concerned. I like the way the puck feels on the blade – I find it to be a very tactile stick. The reception of passes is consistent and smooth; as I said before, I have no troubles controlling passes of any kind and speed from any given angle in any position.

My passing issues that I had when I first tried the stick have been alleviated. The problem wasn’t in the blade, but in the way the shaft works for me (something I’ll go into deeper detail on when I talk about shooting). I had to make some minor adjustments, but my passing with this stick is now as crisp, clean and precise as with just about any other stick I’ve used.

The main issue I have with this stick is the way it shoots the puck. In a word, it doesn’t. I feel like I’m left to do all the work myself where other sticks I’ve used have seemed to have “shot themselves.” I’ve made it a point to switch back-and-forth between my AK27/Sherwood 905 combos and the Torch during any intensive shooting sessions (on and off ice), and the difference is like that of night and day. “Loading” and “kicking” is minimal – I’ve tried everything from hand position to swing speed to weight distribution to the amount of ice I take…the shaft just doesn’t quite have the pop I like.

The shots are, however, relatively accurate – thanks in large part to the stiffness of the blade. Shot velocity isn’t terrible, but the difference is noticeable and the puck just doesn’t feel as good coming off the blade.

Overall, I’d have to say Christian has a decent stick here. If it’s durability you’re looking for, this stick is probably the one for you. The thing is a tank. Unfortunately, I think a little bit of performance might have been sacrificed for this remarkable durability. It lacks the pop of some of the sticks in the $180 - $240 range, but I think this stick would probably serve as a great alternative to some of the “tougher” sticks on the market like the Easton ST and the Bauer Endure. I'd definitely recommend this stick to someone looking for a decent OPS that's going to last them awhile.

After using this OPS, I'll DEFINITELY be looking to get my hands on some of Christian's composite blades some time in the near future, and will likely be paying closer attention to the company's foray back into the world of the high-end hockey stick.