Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lee92

tough decision

alright, i need a little input here boys, and it'd be greatly appreciated. this yr for hockey, i have a chance to either play major midget for my first time ever, or play high school again. i've been doing heavy thinking and weighin each decision out and can't come to a conclusion on where to play. major midget would be better hockey than high school, but the major midget team will probly end up losing the majority of their games while my high school team has a decent shot at provincials again...major midgets about 4 time more money than high school...and this is my last yr for playing hockey here as i graduate this up coming year, so itd be my first and last yr to play major midget and i dunno if thats enough exp to get drafted or scouted to any junior teams. as well, id most likely be a 2nd liner in major midget and a 1st liner in high school.

if you were in this position, where would u choose to play? this has been driving me nuts for the past couple weeks now

Why can't you play both? If you can only play one I'd go for Midget because It's a higher calibre, scouted more so than high school generally, and it should be a more intense schedule. May I ask where you are going to school? I made it to the SOSSA finals 3 years in a row froms grade 9-11, then it started sliding.

cant play both becuz of commitment issues to the teams...plus major midgets around $1200 i think plus 900 in sponsors, and high schools 300 lol...a bit too much money lol.

i go to middleton high school, nova scotia. we only won provincials becuz the major midget team last yr folded, and we picked up 4 players from it so we had a pretty stacked team

Living in Nova Scotia, I'd go for the Major Midget as you will be scouted a lot more and have the opportunity to go to the Midget AAA nationals in April which would be pretty cool is you could.

Well that must be a new team that is being put together or it sucked in the past so they got rid of it for last year.. I am on the Nova Scotia Major Midget website and there is nothing about Valley.

its not a new team...but they did fold the team for the 2003-2004 season becuz a lot of players quit and such

I was in the same situation as you last year. Granted i'm a lot younger since i'll be a sophmore next year, I think I can help you out since i already expirienced it. I could have played midget majors or high school, both which were hockey at high levels. I would have developed and played more in midgets, but everyone thought the HS team would win the state championship. I chose HS, we lost in the state semi-finals, and I regret my decision, so i hope this helps.

yeah. we were pretty much expected to win provincials becuz of the amount of talent we had on our team, and luckily we did.

anyways, the midget tryouts start this upcoming saturday so i think i'm gonna go and see where i end up. would any of you recommend talking about all this to the coach of the midget team, or would u say thats a bad idea?

It never hurts to talk to him. Just remember a lot of coaches are going to tell you to do whatever benefits them the most. Talk to your HS coach, the midget coach and some of the other players before you decide. More information is always a good thing.

If it were me I would go for Midget Majors. I would just for the reason at the chance of more exposure, more scouting, and all the good stuff that comes with high level's of travel hockey.

In my experiences, a couple of years ago I was one of those no name kids out there that would always get passed up in travel tryouts, so that year i decided to go out for bantam AA instead of the select team. I ended up being one of the kids that had to work harder to really play on the AA team but i worked and proved myself to the coaches that I could play at the AA level. We ended up going to districts that year. Great hockey and it made me better. Now around here more coaches are interested in me so maybe you will have some luck with teams in the future after the season if you went for midget major.

But you have to decide what is going to be best for you. I just thought I would share how playing at the higher level has helped me not only as my skills and abilities, but opened more coaches eyes to pick me for more teams now. I say just go out for major and if you make it great but if you don't go ahead and play HS and make your last year great and give it your all and maybe you will infact get noticed by scouts.

Sorry for this being so long. But thats just my opinion and advice.

Hope this helps.