Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thefelixculpa

Humm'r chassis questions, hi-lo user for life

I have been skating my whole life on skates that use the Hi-Lo setup, the past 10 years I have been using Bauer skates, went from the old green chassis Bauer Vapors to the old Gold chassis Vapor 3 i think, to the Bauer Vapor XR, and today I am skating on the Nike Bauer Supreme Excell Lites...

I have grown to become a very strong skater, I am capable of outskating every person I play against in rec. leagues and I am capable of outskating the majority of the players in the high level league I currently am playing in. I can go from full speed to stopping on a dime on most occasions, however on many occasions when I go to plant my right foot for a stop at full speed, it will not grip at all and I will end up sliding onto the floor.

I've been told by a teammate that this would not happen as often if I were not using a hi-lo set up, that having the different sized wheels makes for a less consistent grip. Is this true?

Also...How much of a difference does the Humm'r chassis make with speed?? My current NB Supreme Excell Lites are in good condition, they feel fine when I skate in them, but I feel like they are holding me back when it comes to speed...I have powerful legs, fine skating technique, I don't see what separates my speed from the very best like guys who play for team USA. The only thing I can think of is the chassis...I am under the impression that the majority of "pro" level players do not use a Hi-lo set up.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, for someone who currently owns a servicable pair of skates and is capable of outskating the majority of his competition, would paying 299 for some code-1 skates and switching to a Humm'r provide results worth the money? Will it help me rise from my current spot as above average to the very top?

I don't know that I can answer your questions as far as making you a better skater, but I can offer my own personal experience:

I was in your situtation several months ago. I had owned a pair of Mission VSi skates with the Hi-Lo chassis (older 72-80) for several years and had become a fairly proficient skater (I wouldn't go as far as to say that I can hang with the Team USA guys, but I could hold my own). It was suggested to me that I try the Tour Code 1 skates by a good friend and long-time teammate. So, I gathered the testicular fortitude and forked over the $300ish for a new pair.

First skating impression: why does it feel like I'm falling backward? At first, I thought it might have been the change from the Hi-Lo to the straight-80 chassis thinking that my equilibrium had adapted to my heel being inclined with respect to my toes. However, in comparison, the orientation of my foot to direction of travel was not not much different. After talking to a couple guys who had similar experiences, we agreed (being supported by research) that the straight-80 chassis is much faster than the Hi-Lo.

After getting used to the feel of the new skates, I can definately say that I feel as though I am skating much faster than before and definately less fatigued when skating. It may be a combination of several factors, but I do believe that a majority of it is in the skate.

It took a little time to get used to the overall feel of the skate having been in the same pair for several years, but the change was, by and large, for the positive.

*edit for spelling*

thanks for your input.

I certainly am not claiming to be able to skate like a Team USA guy either, but I feel that my technique and leg power is at a point where I shouldn't be extremely far away from them. In terms of speed.

The main reason that guys will tell you that you get a more consistent grip on the straight 80 chassis is that with a larger circumfrence you will have a larger contact patch with your playing surface. This causes higher levels of grip than with a typical Hi-Lo setup, particularly on the balls of your feet.

I have been in my Code 1's now for about 2 years and have ZERO regrets after switching from my years of Hi-Lo experience. I'd recommend the switch to anyone in a heart beat.

Good luck....and keep us posted.

Everyone I've spoken with loves the Hummer and talks about the speed they get.

I skated Hi-Los for years and have recently switched to an all flat set up in the sprungs... while it's not the same, I find that I have a bit more control with my feet than with my Hi-Los, maybe it's the sprung, maybe it's the flat chassis -- who know?

For the last few months, I've been experimenting with a few different chassis (Hilo, hum'er, vanguard and the sprungs). I completely agree with the fact that on a hilo you do not have as much grip as the other setups, hence why you might be slipping so much. Even though I did find, using the hum'er helped with my speed, I felt the overall stability and grip and superior cornering of the sprungs made it my chassis of choice.

Would I be better off just buying a new chassis for my Bauers? Can anybody give me a link to a site selling chassis that I can send my skates to and they will attach it for me? I have no knowledge on how to modify skates.

You should just buy the Code 1s. If you mount a Hum'er chassis to any other skate, you'd have to remove material to provide a channel for the bigger wheels.

97BL-big.jpg

Plus, they look cooler! :D

You should just buy the Code 1s. If you mount a Hum'er chassis to any other skate, you'd have to remove material to provide a channel for the bigger wheels.

97BL-big.jpg

Plus, they look cooler! :D

Great idea.....if they were still made. :( If you can find a pair of the Code 1's in your size then I would pick them up as quickly as possible.

I havn't been able to find any code-1s in my size.

Would I be seeing any positive impact if I just switched to a better skate that still uses the hi-lo? I know Nike Bauer inline isn't really a top quality skate. If I were to go for a high end mission skate would that produce results?

Why, if the Hum'er makes you skate faster, better, do so many people choose to wear mission, RBK, CCM inline skates?

I only had been wearing NBH with the hi-lo because I was ignorant of the Hum'er.

Don't forget that THE most important part of skate selection is boot fit.

A boot that doesn't fit your foot will be much worse than a frame that isn't what you're looking for.

Boot selection is why people wear all different brands of skate, every boot is cut differently.

Make sure you have your foot in it before you buy anything!

Don't forget that THE most important part of skate selection is boot fit.

A boot that doesn't fit your foot will be much worse than a frame that isn't what you're looking for.

Boot selection is why people wear all different brands of skate, every boot is cut differently.

Make sure you have your foot in it before you buy anything!

yeah I learned that the hard way when I found a great deal on the code 1's. I'm at the point where I just can't wear these anymore they hurt my ankles so much. I'm going to use the chassis and get fitted for some vapors tomorrow.