Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

604bullet

how can I patch up a composite sole?

hey guys,

I was just wondering....I have converted RBK 9k skates to inline skates.

So my question is...if I ever wanted to install a different chassis than the one that I have now (Mission MG)...how would I go about patching up the holes that were drilled to mount the current Mission MG chassis?

I've read on another topic where they use 2 part epoxy or quick dry epoxy...but wouldn't that be for a plastic sole and not a composite sole like the 9k? or would epoxy still work on a composite sole?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

-Marco

Epoxy.

It's not like you're going to buy a composite patch and fuze it together with the current composite sole -- take what you can get. The epoxy will work to fill in those holes -- although I have to say, it's not really necessary to re-seal previously drilled holes unless you feel the integrity of the boot is being compromised.

For what it's worth, I mounted a chassis on an old Bauer 5000 that almost lined up with the exact same holes to the point where I felt the chassis would actually have some play in the boot. I used DevCon, which is a two-part epoxy and just put masking tape over the holes on the inside of the boot, then just used a popcicle stick to push the epoxy through the hole. It worked perfectly and I still skate on it on occasion probably 8 years later. It's probably stronger now than it was.

epoxy sounds good

but when using a 2-part epoxy...which one should i get? 5-minute? 10-minute?

there's so many out there

ScottMan - which DevCon two-part epoxy did you use? i looked on DevCon's website and there's so many types of 2 part epoxies.

604bullet I do not have experience with this application of epoxy, but I used to work on golf clubs. In my experience the slowest cure time is the one that usually provides the strongest bond.

^^^

that makes sense

what epoxy brands are good? and where would i go about purchasing it?

home depot a good place?

I always got my epoxy at golf shops, but I would think Home Depot would have something that would work. The package has the information on what types of material it bonds to. Just make sure you mix it per the the instructions.

You can find it at almost any hardware store, HD will have it for sure, as for brands in shouldn't matter to much really, I've used a bunch of different brands and they all worked out fine.

ive also heard thay white/clear epoxy will turn out yellow overtime.

So black epoxy would be best?

it will have a yellowish tinge, but it's on the bottom of the skate so who cares right? If you can find a black one that is good for plastics, go for it.

epoxy works really well with composite outsoles. Once its cured, the epoxy can be drilled like your existing outsole.

Like some of the guys here have mentioned, some clear epoxies will turn yellowish over time, but its on the bottom of the skates so not many people will really notice/care. Use masking tape on the inside of the boots to give it a little more eveness. Make sure you let it cure overnight (24 hours would be great) to achieve full strength.

ScottMan - which DevCon two-part epoxy did you use? i looked on DevCon's website and there's so many types of 2 part epoxies.

I'm pretty sure this is the one I used, or at least it looked like this, with the syringe or whatever.

AE00003_lg.jpg

I don't think the local Home Depot, Lowes, or whatever equivalent will carry 20 different kinds of DevCon, so you should be able to just look at the one or two and go from there.