Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Chadd

Mission Intake Fusion

Fit - I needed a large stretched most of the way out, very unusual for me. I'm usually a medium guy or a large on the smallest setting. The EPP on the sides makes it a bit too narrow for an optimal fit. There are some pressure points but nothing painful, just not quite right. 7/10

Ventilation - Seems ok. I really don't notice much difference between my old 690s, my 8k and the Intake Fusion. I'm actually wearing it while I type and it isn't making me warm, so it must be at least half decent. I just don't really feel any difference on the ice. Many of the vent holes are partially or fully blocked by padding making them somewhat less effective. I'd rate it good but nothing really all that different from anyone else. 7/10

Protection- I have yet to take a hit and I'd like to keep it that way. The pressure points and the EPP pushing on the sides would concern me a bit, but I don't play in a checking environment. N/A

Weight - Feels a bit heavier than my 8k, but not a brick by any means. I don't really feel any weight up there whole playing and it certainly doesn't require any attention, exactly what you want in a helmet. 8/10

Durability - I've only been using the helmet a month or so, therefore it's premature to make any type of decision on durability. N/A

Conclusion - Considering the comfort of the padding, it's not a bad lid at all. The fact it's much cheaper than most other high end lids, doesn't hurt either. I would have preferred it without the EPP or solely with a thin VN padding. I'm not a big fan of the fact that the top/back padding is held in place by the screws securing the ear flaps in place. Once I removed the ear flaps the padding would move a little bit, requiring regular adjustment. All in all, It's not bad but I will most likely be replacing it with the new Vector VN helmet as soon as I can lay hands on one. Overall 7/10

Update after 8 months of use.

I've taken very good care of the helmet, removing it from the bag as soon I get home and giving it a chance to air out. Despite all that, every screw has lost the finish and most have rusted. I've been seeing a pattern with Mission gear over the last few years. Good designs, good products, but they always seem to cut corners on some part or component that results in a less than stellar experience with the product.

I didn't hate the helmet while I had it, but I am happy to have moved on to something else. Your mileage may vary.

Mission Intake Fusion

Fit: Their sizing didn't go with my head too well. As a reference, the V08 helmet fits my head perfectly. Back to the Intake Fusion though, small was way too tight for me while the medium was a little loose front and back, but if I adjust it smaller, the sides would pinch my head pretty bad. Almost like these helmets were made for people with very narrow heads. I also didn't like how the ear peice and the cage snaps were designed. It took up too much volume and pushed into the foam. The extension of the ear protector also isn't contoured to the helmet. The first couple minutes with it on, it would pinch pretty bad. Major pressure point is right behind the ear. After a few minutes, it gets a little better. I have to say, it is one of the most uncomfortable helmet I've ever worn. If they would lessen the profile of the area behind the ear, I think it would be a better fitting helmet for me. 5/10 because its does go on to my head after a little shoehorning.

Protection: The foam is pretty padded, like other helmets and the shell doesn't feel flimsy. Looks like it'll protect like all the other comparable helmets out there. 9/10

Weight: Middle of the road. Not super light but not heavy by any means. 8/10

Quality: Other than the not so good design I mentioned in the fit, which may just be me, the quality of the helmet is good. It was well made, not flimsy or anything, foam seemed to be pretty good quality, ..etc No issues with that. 9/10

Ventilation: Some of the vents are blocked off by the foam. You can feel a little bit of draft when you're skating but while standing still, it feels warm to hot like any other helmet out there. Its not hot or horrible like the S9, but its a helmet. It is what it is I guess. Everyone feels things differently. 8/10

Overall: If you have to deal with pressure points or it doesn't fit the shape of your head well, then it can be a headache. Its not a bad helmet at all. Does it job, vents, protects and isn't heavy. So it all comes down to if it'll fit you comfortably. To me, a helmet is a helmet given we're not talking about some no name or low end single density foam type ones. If it fits you, then its not a bad helmet at all.