Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeyplayer778

Time for new skates... Again...

Which Skate should I get?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, i am in need of new skates for this new season, my foot is growing way too much. Right now i have the RBK 6K 07 model skates. I like them but the Tri-Di chassis is a little awkward for me stop on a dime like i was able to with Hi-Lo.

I am really liking the Boss Skates, but the ankle pain is concerning me, hopefully baking them will get rid of that. The Nike Bauer skates i have really looked into, seems like a very nice boot, but I'm not sure about Nike/Bauer's chassis. And then theres the 9K 08 model.

Im not sure on which skate to get, price is up to $550 thats how much i have... I really dont want to go through the hassle of getting an ice skate and mounting a chassis on it, unless someone can really convince me on it.

I hate tour skates worth a passion. Most of my teammates have them and the boot has fallen apart on them, as well as the chassis cracking.

If anyone has any reviews on any of these skates, i would love to hear them... Thanks

I'm skating on the Boss right now and I really like them a lot. I did experience a little ankle pain initially but after having them baked and skating in them for a couple of skates they have broken in really well. Also, from my experience even when I first skated in them the ankle pain went down once I started moving. When I was lacing them up it hurt but once I started skating I didn't notice anything.

Really my only complain for the Boss is the wheels. The Trinities lasted about 5-10 skates and then they were done. I went back to my Revisions and noticed a huge difference in grip.

The RBKs look like solid skates but I haven't been able to see them in person so I can't pass judgment yet.

Happy with the Boss seems like a good blend of stiffness and comfort. I personally don't like slippers out of the box feel but have only worn Tour and Mission

Personally I would go for something like a XXV or XXII on a Sprung Chassis. Get some hardy skateboard bearings (ABEC 7's or Titaniums) and maybe some RR HotShots if you are playing indoors. That is more than likely going to be my setup when I upgrade come May.

Missions I will never touch after half a dozen various products (skates, girdles, elbow pads) failing on me over the years. In most cases prematurely.

The XXr's aren't going to last any serious amount of time.

Im not a fan of the RBK Roller approach to quality V's cost. I also seem to have allot of guys go through them quickly around these parts.

To me, it seems like other brands top end skates arent nearly as good as their high end ice skate. NBH's highest end rollerskate, while it may fit your foot, it seems like theyve cheaped out on it compared to their high end ice skate. That kind of bugs me. Id rather buy a good nbh ice skate and slap a roller chassis on it.

I dont feel this with missions, though its an entirely different skate. Ive always had good luck with missions, a bit of a break in period though. But once broken in, absolutely great skate. I'll most likely never buy anything else. Ive beat the hell out of ( and played a lot of games on ) my wicked 3s and theyre still going.

Ive seen some tour skates, they seem very well built as well. But ive never tried any on.

I say go with missions.

To me Tours will always be that dirty and cheap alternative that was available when I first started out. My TR4000's were my 1st pair of hockey skates and really just awful in the grand scheme of things. I know that Tour HAS come a long way but still seem very low end regardless of their leaps and bounds.

Mission has made a pretty good skate the last 3 yrs and I hope the trend continues. Mission upper end is actually an upper level feeling skate.

Tour continues making solid products year after year, the achilles heel is the single axle system that seems to eventually strip on everyone. Otherwise if they fit then you're set.

RBK and NBH are both guilty of watered down skates compared to their ice offerings. RBK boots at least seem solid, though the components under the boot usually measure up a bit sub-par, and freak accidents with the pumps leave me wondering.

NBH is the worst offender of rebadging lower end models and skating by on name alone instead of trying to offer something significant that might not get every little profit point. We will see if the trend continues once NBH is sold to whoever.

With $550, you can build a good skate out of an ice boot with all the top models going on closeout and get yourself back on a 72-80 Hi-Lo setup. If you're really interested in RBK or NBH, grab a pair of upper end ice boots on closeout now and an old Generator or Red Star frame and have at it.

I personally love the new Boss skate as I had the AHHHH moment the other night where the cuff loosened up enough to allow my foot to sit all the way into the boot, and they're extremely comfy now. I haven't skated them more than an hour and have a couple hours wearing them around the house, pretty quick break-in, but a solid skate.

To me Tours will always be that dirty and cheap alternative that was available when I first started out.

Coming from a lifelong Mission user, i'd put the Code 1/Carbons above anything Mission has put out in the past couple of years.

To me Tours will always be that dirty and cheap alternative that was available when I first started out.

Coming from a lifelong Mission user, i'd put the Code 1/Carbons above anything Mission has put out in the past couple of years.

I would respectfully disagree with the HE10000 and this yrs Boss. Last yrs Wicked 1 and 3 skates really required the wearer to endure some pain or have an ideal Mission foot. Every other yr seems to be a good one across the board for Mission. Tour the last couple of yrs has really stepped up to the plate, after having the heavyweight Beemers and company. I usually don't complain about weight, but damn. The E2's I tried on were a much better skate, but the fit just wasn't there for me.

It also comes down to what style of boot you like. I've been moving away from the ski boot feel that the old Nexed Stingers had which the Code Carbon would be the best possible replacement for construction wise. If my heel didn't swim in the last few yrs of Tours I'd probably have a pair right alongside my Missions as both are truly roller focused companies, and I would have no worries about this yrs offering from Tour or Mission being bad choices. It's all in the fit. I have heard the Cobalt line is going to be a touch narrower than the previous Code line-up, maybe trying to get closer to the average foot fit?

Whatever fits the best is THE right choice for the TC though.

Thanks for everyones help and input on each skate/option... Now its a tough decision between the Boss skate, and either a Supreme One90, Vapor XXXX, Easton S15, or Easton

S11 ice skate and slap a chassis on it. The question is, i have a size 11 Wicked 3's with the Vanguard chassis... Would that work for a size 11 ice skate?

Skates

If your using an ice skate conversion I would go down 1 to 1.5 sizes

I wear a Mission roller 11 and a 10 Graf ice skate

I'd bet you wear an 11 Mission ice boot though. It's all in the brand, my feet finally settled down last year, as they seem to vary a bit due to how active I had been, how hot/cold it was, etc. All of these can affect how a boot feels at a given time, like I said mine seemed to finally calm down in the last 8 months to where things are fitting consistently again.

I take an 8.5 in newer Mission, 9 in the pre HE series, 7.5-8 in Tour (model dependant), 7.5 in RBK, 7.5-8 in CCM (line dependant), 8-8.5 in Bauer (model and line dependant) and all of this in a size 10 Adio shoe. It really goes across the board depending on brand and model, but usually you'll find a range that you stay within.

I skate on a pair of Vapor XXV converted to roller and its easily the best pair of skates ive ever had. The XXXX will only be better than XXV im sure, so thats where my vote would go