Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foppa21

Turco suspended

Guest phillyfan

What's with all of the recent suspensions? I guess the NHL took a lot of the hype from the media from the Bert incident, and have to be consistant when handing out suspensions.

Did you see the play? He took a full swing at Smyths face. I'd say four games is a fairly mild punishment considering what Belak got.

Players seem to be doing more stupid stuff since the Bertuzzi incident. Every action will be addressed and I like it.

Guest phillyfan
Players seem to be doing more stupid stuff since the Bertuzzi incident. Every action will be addressed and I like it.

I'd say it was the other way around, players have always been cheap-shotting each other, only now after the Moore-Bert incident, and all of the negative publicity, it sort of forces the NHL to take quick and severe action which is better for the game.

I don't disagree that the NHL is doing a better job of policing the actions but I think a lot of guys are losing their cool becuase of the pressure of the playoff run.

Guest phillyfan

Without a doubt they are, but it's not something that started to pick up after the Bertuzzi incident. They have been doing these things for years, the NHL is just now recognizing it, and trying to put a hault with suspensions. But, if the Bert incident did not happen to occur, players would still have become explosive and more desperate, playoffs for one, but the last playoffs for awhile most likely.

I think that the NHL is doing an excellent job at handing out the proper suspensions to these events. They are not really proving that there is no tolerence for stupidity in the league.

I'm glad that the league is finally addressing some of the cheap shots. It wasn't fun to see any player mauled out there because the other guy knew he wasn't going to be held accountable.

Back on the original topic, should have been two games. It wasn't nearly as bad as Mess's spear.

I was sittin in the fifth row, and it was a bit of lumber, but looked like he was swatting the biscuit. None of us knew he was already holding it until later.

As for 4 games, I'd say more like 1-2 at most

What a great, quick game. To bad the oil had to collapse in the last minute. damn

but points in 17 of 18 of their last games isn't too shabby

Edit: Just heard that Shelley only got 3 games for his sucker. That is mixed justice. :rolleyes:

Back on the original topic, should have been two games. It wasn't nearly as bad as Mess's spear.

Turco could have taken Smyth's eye out with his careless hit, and he came pretty close too. It's good that the league took action, and I think 4 games is appropriate suspension time. I can understand players being frustrated and aggressive with the tight playoff races this season, but there's been too much careless stickwork lately.

From th ereplay it looked like a normal goalie play, getting the stick up to protect himself from a hard charging forward. Smyth got too close, the stick got too high and he got clipped.

If that's the way goalies protect the puck against charging forwards then forwards would be clipped more often. Smyth was practically standing straight up when he was struck. Turco's didn't control himself adequately and his stick got too high.