Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

CCM Vector

Product is a CCM Vector helmet (V10) size large. Used maybe a dozen times. Paired with my salvaged 4000 TruVision cage.

Background - I'm a low lever player, coming from a Bauer 4000 in XL that's opened less than half way. I got the Vector since the current NikeBauer 4500 in XL is narrower than the Bauer, and I wasn't comfortable in the RBK 6k/4k, Mission Intake, M95 or NBH 5500.

Fit - Initially had a slight problem with my hair being pulled out. Turns out I needed to put the back on first, not the forehead like I was used to. Gel-like memory foam is very nice, it provides my head with a secure and comfortable hug. This helmet feels like it's contoured to my head and contacts my skull in many more spots than the 4000. It's very snug and opened all the way, takes a moment to get the fit right so no hair is pulled. The temples are a bit tight, but not uncomfortably so. The memory foam also feels like putting on a new helmet each time as it won't keep your head shape for long. Doesn't have a tendency to slip and slide down my brow like the 4000 did, a much more secure fit that stays put, I don't need to rely on the chin cup to keep the helmet in place. Wraps the back of the head more near the base making the helmet very hard to slip off when the cage is snapped close. 10/10 for me

Ventilation - I don't feel the need to remove the helmet while I'm on the bench like I did with the 4000. I don't notice more flow when skating, but I never really paid any attention to it. I do, however, notice more sweat dripping down my face from my forehead while on the bench. I'm not sure if the VN in the 4000 absorbed sweat at all, but this bucket certainly isn't. Goalie style sweat band might have been a good consideration, but I've never worn an EPP helmet, so chalk it up to that. 7/10

Protection- Haven't been hit in the head or slammed my head into anything. It does feel like a tank up there, but I hope to never have to test this. No score.

Weight - Feels the same as my 4000. I'm not a bobble head and there's no "zomg so light!" when I wear it. I guess there are lighter helmets, but this is perfect for me, no adjusting to a new feeling. 10/10

Durability - I hope this will last 2+ years as my 4000 did. The snaps aren't placed where they can crack the helmet, the tool-free feels really secure and won't be fiddled with often. The helmet doesn't feel like it can flex like my 4000 and the EPP should last a while. The inside looks exactly the same, no wear to any of the memory foam spots, all the graphics intact, no scratches while in the bag or anything. If I had this for another year and it's still rocking the same condition it would get a 10/10, but as-is I can't really give it much of anything.

Conclusion - Great bucket if it fits your dome. Fills a niche by being slightly wider than the Intake and narrower than the 6K. Looks sharp and feels great and secure on my head. My Bauer cage mated up perfectly and I had no problem adjusting to it, and I see it as a much better helmet than the 4000 that was built to fit as many heads as possible. Only the sweat issue brings it down, but the VN version (not yet released Vector 8) may be an 11/10 in comparison to this.

Final Score 9.5/10

I also snapped a few pics to compare to the 4000.

IMG_0724.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/rust...et/IMG_0723.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/rust...et/IMG_0722.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/rust...et/IMG_0721.jpg

Edited by Rustpot