Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBeatGoesOn

the "hockey stop"

Is this just something that clicks at some point and then it's no problem or is it something you have to work at and get better at? Seems like it's one of those things that once you hit it right once, you can basically do it but I don't know. I'm new to ice skating and feel I'm picking it up well, just have yet to be able to figure out how to stop. I can turn doing the leg cross over thing and I can skate backwards and all that jazz (thanks to long roller blading sessions when I was younger), JUST CAN'T STOP and it's pissing me off.

just do it, thats the only way you will get it to "click". keep your knees bent.

just dont pactice by the boards. going head first into them is not fun

If you don't know how to stop at all, you should probably try to do a snow-plow stop first. It seems you know how to use your edges. A snowplow stop is one where your blades are totally flat and not using any edges. Try this using both feet and one leg at a time. After you do this for a while, you can think about trying the hockey stop.

Make sure your skates are laced tight enough at the top so that you aren't rolling too far onto the inside edge when you try to stop. You can also try stuffing a sock or some foam into the outside part of the boot between your leg/ankle and the boot so you can't roll onto the inside edge as much. This is what I did to help while I was learning how to stop and it worked like a charm.

You'll feel like a dumbass (full gear at a public skate), but just throw all of your gear on and go to a stick and puck or a public skate and do it. There's no other way. It takes out the sting of the fall and subsequentially- fear out of the equation, and you'll learn it in a session or two of that.

You'll feel like a dumbass (full gear at a public skate), but just throw all of your gear on and go to a stick and puck or a public skate and do it. There's no other way. It takes out the sting of the fall and subsequentially- fear out of the equation, and you'll learn it in a session or two of that.

You'd stand out less and attract less attention at stick n puck/skate n shoot whatever it's called in your area.

Wearing full gear at open skate I think you'd attract less attention in a dress.

not sure if it'll help you or not but try doing quick turns until you get that motion down and that might help you with the stoping part

I work at a hockey school in the summer, when we work with the hockey 1-4 kids we tell them when learning to stop:

1. turn head

2. turn shoulders

3. turn lower body

seems to work quite well.

Its easier if you start with a snowplough then finally work your way to a hockey stop.

__

Yeh it's shit i learnt to stop on my left side and i cant stop on my right at all :(

I've posted it before, but when I was learning- they had us do 1 footed snowplow stops (essentially putting one foot out perpendicular to your line of motion), and then gradually move into bringing the back foot with it.

Question: When doing the snow plow stop, are both skates supposed to be doing the stopping? Or is it one foot actually doing the sliding (not sure the proper term). When I do it only my left foot is doing the stopping and my right foot is pushing pressure into the left skate to dig in and make the stop. Not sure if that's correct. Not sure how to correct it if it's not.

I'm thinking its not fully correct. When skating back wards I can rotate my left foot out to make a quick stop but can't do it with my right foot. My right foot just won't dig in/slide to the ice. :angry:

Question: When doing the snow plow stop, are both skates supposed to be doing the stopping? Or is it one foot actually doing the sliding (not sure the proper term). When I do it only my left foot is doing the stopping and my right foot is pushing pressure into the left skate to dig in and make the stop. Not sure if that's correct. Not sure how to correct it if it's not.

I'm thinking its not fully correct. When skating back wards I can rotate my left foot out to make a quick stop but can't do it with my right foot. My right foot just won't dig in/slide to the ice. :angry:

We were taught with one foot (I started with the right).... then slowly graduating to 2 feet. Now I'm working on leading with the left foot.

A lot of good points here.

When practicing, please be sure to practice a 'true hockey stop.' Turning your body and aligning your feet/ankle bones parallel is a way of stopping on skates, but is NOT a 'true hockey stop.'

Here is a picture of an adequate stop. If your goal is to simply go skating and you need to stop quickly to avoid traffic or the boards, this will suffice. However, this is NOT a great hockey stop! Balance is not the greatest here.

Poor1.jpg

If your goal is to play hockey and improve your ability to play the game, then practice a 'true hockey stop' which incorporates the following:

- a greater knee bend

- keeping the base of support wide

- staggering the feet

These components provide you with greater balance and give you the option of changing direction rapidly with a crossover step if needed.

Check out these photos...... knee bend, staggered feet, balance, etc.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

What a GREAT example below.......... phenomenal balance, knee bend & base of support!

10.jpg

I said a 'true hockey stop'!!!!!! (grrrrrrr)

11.jpg

Have fun!

Another great example:

5.jpg

Mr. Datzuk here is about to change direction rapidly. No doubt his next step will be crossing the right foot over the left to get going rapidly where the play now is. He can only accomplish this quickly because his feet are STAGGERED & APPART!

Great pictures... the post with numerous pictures illustrates the hockey stop beautifully. With the two feet next to one another (unstaggered), it's almost impossible to maneuver out of unless you're going back the way you went into the stop.

Just to reinforce the "heels turn/toes stop" saying, notice that on all these skaters the snow is flying off the toe part of their runners.