Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whjs416

where to cut a stick?

just got a new stick just want to make sure on the best hight to cut it if its too tall the stick is like up to the top of my nose should it be to the middle of my chin?

A stick length differs from player to player. Just make it to where you feel the most comfortable. I have seen players who use sticks that extend past their nose while on skates. I personally like a really short stick. Acouple of inches below my chin. Seems like I have better control when I dangle and can really step into my shot. All personal preference.

Like Mojo said, just experiment. Cut it to your nose, tape it up and play with it. Check the tape after to see where the tape is worn off, If it is near the toe, it needs to be longer. If its more towards the heel, then it needs to be shorter. My stick is at my chin on feet and adams apple on skates so it all depends.

Right in the middle; forget the skates and get on your knees! haha

I'd say one inch at a time until you find your comfort zone - there is no one "right" length for all. My sticks are about 3.5 inches under my chin on skate or close to chin level on feet; my brother's stick is right about at his mouth on skates; my cousin likes it at his nose on skates - it's all about preference.

You can look at tape wear but I would be cautious in doing so because different lie angles will show different amounts of wear although the sticks themselves might be the same lengths.

I normally cut to my mouth without skates so its an inch or two below my chin on skates...but like everyone said its all what the player likes. Try it longer, like around the nose and cut more if you need it

I normally cut to my mouth without skates so its an inch or two below my chin on skates...but like everyone said its all what the player likes. Try it longer, like around the nose and cut more if you need it

Standard rule of thumb is the more you handle the puck, the shorter you'll want the stick. When I play D on Ice, I usually go to my nose on skates. For roller, I prefer it to be down by my collarbone on skates.

A shorter stick will cost you a little shot power, but better stick handling. A longer stick obviously has its advantages on defense. But, the most important thing is your personal preference. For the longest time I played with my stick up by my nose until I had to borrow a shorter stick and realized I could actually stickhandle a little bit.

It's all personal prefrence, cut it where it feels right to you. Right now I'm playing with an extra long stick that comes just above my eyes while on skates :P (I know i should probebly cut it at least a little) I love the extra length while I'm playing defence, it really does help.

Just play with it, if it feels to long cut it a bit, if you cut it to short straight away you'll have to find a butt to put in it :)

These guys have all given some great input... I would even suggest unless is crazy long, hit a drop in without cutting it at all. Adjust half-inch at a time... while you can always cut, adding length is another story. I for one, try not to use wooden plugs.. they tend to throw off the balance, and feel of the stick from time to time, so it's not always the best solution. If the stick's a dud after you throw in a wood plug... it never gets use, at least mine didn't. I'm fortunate enough to have a composite plug kicking about to fix my 'oopsies'.

dont forget that the flex rating increases as you cut down more

yeah i had the hardest time with this, make sure you watch that. I used to cut 100 flex sticks like 4 inches short, now I switched to 75 flex sticks, much happier.

dont forget that the flex rating increases as you cut down more

yeah i had the hardest time with this, make sure you watch that. I used to cut 100 flex sticks like 4 inches short, now I switched to 75 flex sticks, much happier.

That's one of the reasons why I love Mission sticks.... they come in the perfect height for me. I buy an 85 flex, I get an 85 flex.. I don't need to buy lower to compensate cutting.

Also keep in mind the idea of what position you play; forward shorter stick better control, defense longer stick more reach.