Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ambro

NFL Draft

The only reason I was even watching was to see where Stewart would go. A lot of people had him as the 4th best RB after concerns of his turf toe. Glad to see him jump up from where they were predicting. He'll be a great NFL back.

I noticed a number of mock drafts didn't have Jerod Mayo going anywhere near the tenth pick, but I like the Pats' move. I have a feeling they wanted Vernon Gholston, who went one pick earlier to the Jets, but they only moved back three spots (which probably frees up $2 million over the length of the contract) to grab a player they liked, then picked up 86 spots in the back end of the trade -- from 164th to 78th.

They have three 3rd's now, so it wouldn't shock me if they made another trade.

As I said, it wouldn't shock me if the Pats traded a third-rounder and, sure enough, they picked up the Chargers' 5th and next year's 2nd. Then the Pats made a very curious pick in the 3rd, picking up QB Kevin O'Connell from SD State. I don't follow college ball, but the talking heads said he was the sleeper QB of the draft. My guess is the Pats are hoping either this kid or Matt Cassell develops enough to trade for somebody's 1st in the next year or two.

No doubt Manning and Brady are Hall of Fame QB's, but the real reason the Pats and Colts have been the class of the league for seven seasons is their front offices plan ahead so much better than other teams. I don't think I ever watched the NFL Draft until Belichick and Pioli came on board, but they make so many trades or eyebrow-raising picks, I Tivo each draft and fast forward to the Pats' picks.

No doubt Manning and Brady are Hall of Fame QB's, but the real reason the Pats and Colts have been the class of the league for seven seasons is their front offices plan ahead so much better than other teams.

Planning ahead.... that's not exactly how I would put their actions over the last 7 years.

I'm not all that surprised the Pats took a QB. Cassell's contract is up after next year and he probably wants the chance to start somewhere. O'Connell looks like he could be develop into a solid QB.

A few surprises from the first round. Jax trading all the way up to 8th to take Harvey. Of course, I don't think they really gave up too much to get him, so I wouldn't say it was a bad trade.

The Lions trading down with Albert still on the board to take Cherilus two picks later.

The Ravens taking Flacco that early. Unless there was a trade up, I don't think any team from 18 to 25 had a QB on their board.

Other surprises:

Dan Connor not getting picked until the 3rd.

Josh Johnson not going until the end of the 5th.

Donnie Avery being the first WR off the board.

Matt Ryan Leaf is going to be a terrible pick.

I would have taken Flacco and Brohm before him easily.

I love the Giants' draft but I'm big time iffy about Manningham. He got a 6 on his wonderlic and had the dropsies in big games. I would have rather had Arrington if they wanted to draft a Michigan WR.