Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gelowitz

Adhesive and covering on Acrylic Sheet

Any ideas on how to try to remove the covering? Tried a heat gun, and I might try a power washer, but before I go and mess it up, I want to see if anyone here knows.

DSC00952.jpg

DSC00954.jpg

DSC00955.jpg

Lighter fluid... try one area first. It should desolve the sticky adhesive and you should be able to peel off the paper without any problems.

That usually happens to larger sheets of acrylic, when its been sitting there for some time.

hey, whats the acrylic for? if its for puckhandling, you may want to test out that lighter fluid thing first on a small little patch. Just make sure it doesnt f-up your acrylic.

you can always buff up the acrylic later, but its a pain in the ass. I last played with the acrylic back in high school.. and thats a long time ago.

I've since moved onto other material tests... best was UHMWPE, ultra high molecular weight polyethelene. Same material used for hip prosthetics to provide a smooth cup for the ball joint. Low coefficient of friction, and pretty stable in the body. A bit pricey though, but you get the perks of working in the lab in school doing 'engineering' work. I was also able to get some kevlar fibres and titanium coatings... but thats another story.

Yep, it's for puckhandling and shooting. I don't want to purchase anything else, because I have this. Would a power washer work or would it be pointless? It's not a big deal if I don't get the stuff off, it's just been sitting in my garage for a while and I thought I'd try it out.

power washer? thats the high velocity spray thing? Should work, but make sure you do it with the acrylic on the floor... no point leaning it against a wall, and having it crack under the pressure.

When I was powerwashing, only the paper same off and there was a little bit of paper stuck to the adhesive. I've been working at it with my hands (no jokes please) and it's starting to come off. Works pretty well for stickhandling.

Try varsol or WD-40 it will disolve the adhesive - if you have a good stright edge it will peel right off.