Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

TPS Response R10

Product: TPS Response R10, Curve: Nash, Flex: Regular (75, 90, 100)

Details: Power Transfer Channel in Blade Hozel: Livelier blade hozel, better puck trajectory

New Longer, Thinner Taper: More dynamic shooting, better feel on all styles of shooting

Tri-Balanced Flex Zones: Higher modulus graphite in taper and PTC adds a 3rd rate of flex and faster response

Thin Blade Design: Livelier shots - better trajectory

Ultra Lite Dynamic Weighting: Optimizes balance and weight for lighter "in motion" feel

Construction %: 100% Carbon

Weight: 425 grams

Background: Ice Hockey player, on the ice 2-3 times a week. Coming off a Pro Stock Clarkson Easton SE (blade cracking). The curve is a meathook close to a Sakic retail but a bit more curve. So the Nash is a a lot less curve, an adjustment I'm continuing to make.

Shaft Feel/Flex:

Blade: The blade is very thin, its about half the thickness of my SE. It is also very stiff and catches passes really well. This blade has great puck feel, I thought the SE was great but this is just as good if not even better feel. I tend to tape the toe of my stick since I have had other blades chip on me there, and even with the tape I got a little chip. Otherwise there isn't even any puck marks on the blade (where I don't tape). It has taken some nice hacks too and no marks. I'm hoping the chipping on the toe of the blade doesn't continue, I may have to put some epoxy on it. For now I'm putting extra tape on the toe.

9/10

Stickhandling, Passing: I like to stickhandle a lot. As soon as I picked up this stick, I noticed it was lighter than my SE. The stick has a concave design with a tactile finish with the lower 2/3 being slightly grippy. This allows me to freely move my hands for stick handling while getting a firm grip for shooting. The puck feel with stickhandling is great and I can easily hold onto the puck with one hand and push forward. Passing is also much better with this stick. The power transfer hosel and thinner blade make the puck flutter less often. My saucer passes have noticeably fluttered less.

10/10

Shooting: When shooting on net this thing is extremely accurate. The power transfer hossel and thin blade make the shots a lot smoother and rifle off. My slapshot is a lot more nicer too. However, there is an adjustment period. Not only for the blade for me, but the different flexzones. The stick marks a "true-balance point" on the shaft where you can balance the stick, but that is without tape and the balance point changes as soon as you tape the stick. Finding the different flexzones for your particular shot is important. My snapshots have a lot of snap. The problem I have been having lately is roofing the puck in close on a breakaway. With my SE, this was my money shot. I'm still trying to find it with this stick. I've noticed I have to have the puck more on my toe, where as with my SE it was closer to the mid point of the blade.

9/10

Weight/Balance: The stick is listed at 425 grams and is considerably lighter than my SE. It has great blade balance. When I first picked up the stick, I thought it was blade heavy. But as soon as I taped it up, it balanced out. It is so easy to keep the puck with one hand on your stick due to the lightness.

10/10

Durability: The stick feels like a tank. I had a guy chop the stick out of my hands, and there wasn't even a mark. I have only chip on the stick and it was from blocking a slapshot. The clear coat on the graphics seems to be keeping the stick look good from all the minor damage, whereas my SE looks like it went through a warzone. The chip on the toe of my blade is a little concerning since its supposed to be really durable, but I think it was a fluke and might have gotten it grabbing the puck along the boards.

9/10 (Now a 7)

Intangibles: TPS has really stepped it up with the graphics template on the stick. It doesn't look like a boring stick and it doesn't look overly flashy either. The concave design of the shaft makes it feel like it was meant to be in your hands. Coming from a boxy shaft (which I liked), it was really different but made me really like it.

Conclusion: $220 is a little pricey for a stick (the most I have ever dropped on a stick), but I feel like it was worth it. This stick has put a lot of credibility back into TPS in my opinion. The shaft design is top notch, and I hope it springs TPS forward.

I am still getting acquainted with the stick, I had the same problem with my SE (which I cut two times) and it seemed the more ice time I got with it the more comfortable I got and the more I liked it. Two similarities I have noticed, both times I first picked up the both sticks, I noticed a jump in my shot. Now its just finding consistency with a new product.

I will keep this updated as I get more and more comfortable with the stick, and how long it lasts.

Final Rating: 9.5/10 (9 after stick breaking, hopefully it was a fluke).

Edit: While playing with this stick, I feel in love with the feel and was really whipping some shots with it. However, the other morning I blocked a slapshot and the blade/shaft snapped right where the fuse point would be. I managed to go to the LHS that I picked it up from and got a copy of the receipt, I broke it on the 29th day of the 30 day warranty, so I lucked out with that. Called TPS and I'm sending it back and they will be sending me a new one. Not sure if this was just bad luck, as the stick barely had any smudges on it and I thought it was a tank at how many shots I would block and how many chops I took without even paint chipping. The worst part of the stick breaking....I would have had a breakaway. Hopefully my second one will last longer.

Edited by Linski

Product Make/Model: TPS R10, Whip flex, Afinogenov LH.

Time Used: 12-15 games

Shaft feel, weight, flex etc: The width and fit seems ideal for my hands, not boxy at all to me but not too smoothly rounded either. The flex on it is listed as 65/75/90 (top, mid, taper) but feels even whippier than that. I'm 165-170 lbs and moderately strong and I can dominate the hell out of this stick on slap shots and one-timers, but it never feels like it's going to break. That said, it's too whippy for me on power shots, but superb on wristers. 10/10

The weight is listed at 425 grams, but on my postal scale it read it in 415-420 grams. It is amazingly light but doesn't feel so light that you forget where it is. I don't know how TPS managed to do this while maintaining durability, but bravo... 10/10

Stickhandling/Puckfeel/Passing/Etc: The stick is superb in terms of overall blade feel/quality/forgiveness. Puck feel is very much a matter of opinion, and I really didn't like it much at first but soon came to love it. It's not too lively or dampened, just right. Forgiveness on receiving passes is very good, but probably not quite as good as the s17 or SE in my mind. Control on passing is great, I can dangle all day long with this stick. 9.5/10

Shooting: This is where the stick truly shines. It's very effective at wrist shots and backhands. My accuracy with it is exceptional, however the Afinogenov is an insane 3/4ths curve, and I often get it up too much (that's what she said). Snappers, slappers and one-timers are pretty insane with this stick. It can withstand a LOT of loading but still feels solid. Power shots will snap right off the stick and people will be diving for cover... 9.5/10

Durability: I don't know how a stick this light is so durable, I've never seen anything better than this. After 12-15 games, I have just a couple little scratches, no paint chips, nothing else. It still looks and feels totally new. The stick has exceeded my expectations in durability by far. 10/10

Overall, it's a real tragedy that TPS isn't going to be making sticks anymore, especially this one.

Final Rating, 9.5/10