Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeystud11

Unbreakable Laces

Did the gorillas feel any different than regular flat laces? I am thinking of getting some based on the reviews...

I've used wax laces religiously for years, never liked "plain" laces. The gorilla laces don't stretch much at all over time and are holding up very well. I haven't seen any cuts yet and the tips are still in great shape. My biggest problem with laces has always been with broken tips.

Do the round laces untie themselves? How do they compare in terms of stiffness and wax to the Grafs? I'll keep my eye out...

Gorilla laces are not wax, they're the first non-wax lace that I ever liked.

What lace pattern are you using with them? Did you change the pattern due to them being round?

Thanks

B

Did the gorillas feel any different than regular flat laces? I am thinking of getting some based on the reviews...

I've used wax laces religiously for years, never liked "plain" laces. The gorilla laces don't stretch much at all over time and are holding up very well. I haven't seen any cuts yet and the tips are still in great shape. My biggest problem with laces has always been with broken tips.

Do the round laces untie themselves? How do they compare in terms of stiffness and wax to the Grafs? I'll keep my eye out...

Gorilla laces are not wax, they're the first non-wax lace that I ever liked.

What lace pattern are you using with them? Did you change the pattern due to them being round?

Thanks

B

Outside-in, just like I always use.

Man I am liking the sound of that. I think someone said it on here when you buy a new pair of skates you might as well tack on laces. I suspect that the material used for stock laces are not woven tight enough.

Anyways, it looks like i need to keep my eye out for these laces.

I don't care about any of this at all, and I'm perfectly satisfied with regular skate laces, but I noticed this as soon as I saw the "first official post."

Yes the official post....I saw that there were quite a few people coming from a link over to our site so I thought I'd check it out.

I will say one thing, the hckystud doesn't work for me, all of our test laces went out to players in Texas so it would make sense for him to see them in Texas.

There is no link to their website in this thread whatsoever. The first poster, 'hockeystud' typed the website, but did not code it as a link; so at no point would anyone have gone to the unbreakable hockey website from a link on MSH. And also, I can't imagine that anyone on earth other than the person that made, or hired the person that made that website would actually describe it as "a pretty cool website."

Lately, for whatever reason, I've been chopping my laces while skating. I skip the top eyelet and dropped down a foot in length to 96", but it's still happening. Got new Bauers, chopped them on the first skate. New Graf waxed, chopped on the first skate. New Graf waxed again, chopped one of the laces. So they must have been coming untied while I'm skating, even if I switched to wax.

I went to get another pair of laces and saw the Gorillas. Chad recommended them, and he's far wiser than I am, so I picked up two pairs. Not bad for $4 each. I bought them in white, unwaxed.

These laces are smaller than normal. Instead of being very wide and flat, they are much smaller and rounder. Along the edges of the lace, there is a nylon end in a contrasting color which is kind of jagged and sharp. If you have soft hands, you might cut yourself on them (I haven't, but they do kind of hurt when pulling the laces). But what this does is keep the laces from sliding and untying. They also have metal tips, which is different.

SMGL.JPG

I laced them up as I have been lately (outside in for the first four eyelets, inside out to the second from top). I had been using a "lace lock" pattern with a loop to keep the laces tight across the ankle, but skipped it. Usually, I will lace up and tighten, skate warmups, then tighten again, then have to re-tie a few times throughout the game, even with waxed. This time, they did not move or loosen a hair. Best lock I've ever had off laces. So good that I was able to put my shins outside the tongues (which I couldn't before because I had to re-tie all the damn time).

I didn't have any lace bite problems as I didn't crank down when tightening. They work as described and are inexpensive. It's a different look, because it looks like a white lace with bold black outlines, kind of cool with the Vapor skates.