Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Chadd

Sport-mate Gorilla laces

I've been using these things for since January, sorry for the review being so late in coming.

What are Sport-mate Gorilla laces? Well, they come in packages like this:

l_07_10_01_gorilla_skate_laces_Y.png

The laces are oval shaped black laces with white edges and metal tips.

I have been using these since Dave gave me a pair back in January. I put them in my Kor Shift 2s as soon as I got home. These things are tougher than any laces I've ever used. I did replace them once, but only because the 108s were a bit long. When I replaced my visor, I purchased two pair of 96s and still have one pair still sitting in the box.

Durability:

I've been using the same pair for 8 months with no problems. One of the metal tips got slightly compressed from being stepped on, but still fits through the eyelets just fine. They may have stretched a bit, but no moreso than any other lace I've used over the years. There has been no visible wear or discoloration, then again I am using the black lasces. 10/10

Value:

$4.00 for a pair of laces that have held up perfectly for 8 months and look as if they will last at least another 8 months or more. 10/10

Intangibles:

In all fairness I really like Dave but don't want this to come off as a fluff piece about the product, that's really not my style at all. The only negative is that I don't think the longer lengths are available in white, something Dave told me that he would look into down the road. It's a really solid product that is worth a couple bucks to check out. 9/10

Overall: 9/10

Ask and ye shall receive.

NOW available in 96" 108" ( Black and white)

Also 96" and 108" WAX flat laces ( white only)

Thanks Chadd for the kind words. We're glad you liked the product.

Funny thing in selling these to stores, we get a lot of " Why do I want to sell laces that last longer??? It cuts into my profits!"

I try to pitch the angle that if players aren't so nickle and dimed, they would be able to afford more gear!

So far, that rebuttal has gottem be bubkus!

-Dave

96%20WHITE.jpg

I've been using these things for since January, sorry for the review being so late in coming.

What are Sport-mate Gorilla laces? Well, they come in packages like this:

l_07_10_01_gorilla_skate_laces_Y.png

The laces are oval shaped black laces with white edges and metal tips.

I have been using these since Dave gave me a pair back in January. I put them in my Kor Shift 2s as soon as I got home. These things are tougher than any laces I've ever used. I did replace them once, but only because the 108s were a bit long. When I replaced my visor, I purchased two pair of 96s and still have one pair still sitting in the box.

Durability:

I've been using the same pair for 8 months with no problems. One of the metal tips got slightly compressed from being stepped on, but still fits through the eyelets just fine. They may have stretched a bit, but no moreso than any other lace I've used over the years. There has been no visible wear or discoloration, then again I am using the black lasces. 10/10

Value:

$4.00 for a pair of laces that have held up perfectly for 8 months and look as if they will last at least another 8 months or more. 10/10

Intangibles:

In all fairness I really like Dave but don't want this to come off as a fluff piece about the product, that's really not my style at all. The only negative is that I don't think the longer lengths are available in white, something Dave told me that he would look into down the road. It's a really solid product that is worth a couple bucks to check out. 9/10

Overall: 9/10

Sport-Mate Gorilla Laces

Introduction

For quite a while, I bounced between waxed and unwaxed laces. I had a problem with lace bite with waxed laces, but unwaxed came untied frequently. After going through two pairs of waxed laces in a week due to them coming untied and getting the ends chopped off, I picked these up. I have 7.5 skates and skip the top eyelet so I went with the 96" white un-waxed models.

Features

Gorilla laces are semi-flat non-stretchy laces that seem to be made out of a nylon material, with sharper flattened edges on either side. This means they won't stretch and don't need to be re-tied, and they stay tied better than waxed. They also have metal tips to prevent them from coming frayed. 10/10

Durability

Hands down the most durable laces I've used. One pair lasted me about six months, which I replaced as it was getting pretty beat up. There were a couple nicks in the laces and there weren't any issues with them ripping, but I replaced anyway. The metal tips got squished but still worked great. 10/10

Price

These are the same price as any other lace, but last longer and hold better. 10/10

Intangibles

They look strange coming from "regular" laces as they are smaller and have the outlined contrasting colors. The edges are sharp and you need to take that into consideration when pulling tight, or you might slice yourself open.

Conclusion

These are fantastic laces if you've got any problems with durability or coming untied. They look a little strange, but they do the job and are priced very well.

Overall 10/10