Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Dying Pants?

I have a pair of mission pants that are predominately black with white stripes and white logos. I want these to be neon green. Since the pants are black, would I be able to just use powdered RIT dye and just dunk the entire pant in? The black shouldn't pick up color right? Or would I be better off using a dye pen? I dont see how the green would change the blacks color. Any help would be great! Im hoping to do these for my brothers team since we cant order the color scheme.

Chris

Yes.....you would need to spot dye. The good news is that it sounds like the areas that you are looking to dye are surrounded by black fabric. No matter what you do with regards to fabric, you will have color "bleeding" when you dye as the threads are a porous textile and the color will wick into the areas surrounding the area that you are dying.

I think that your sponge brush (like typically used on molding and other smooth surfaces) would probably be your best bet and easiest controlled. My guess, you will need to do it a multitude of times to get the darker color as the dye takes time to set in. After you get it to the color you want, wash the pants in a sink in cool water to set the color, and I would not throw them in the washing machine with any of your typical clothes for a while and couple of individual washes.

Keep in mind that Ritt Dye was initially developed for dying fabrics, so this is what it was designed for. The directions on the box are relatively comprehensive and they should lead you in the proper direction for getting this done.

I dont understand what you mean, Im just trying to dye the white stripes, not the black. Here is a picture for better refrence. Would fabric paint be better?

v4421l.jpg

(Yes these are the 2009 Soldier Pants)

See if you can find a crafts store nearby. Odds are the the people that work there know a lot about this sort of stuff, and would be able to point you to exact materials to buy, if any exist, and could also give you the best tips on how to use the dye.

I did a quick google search and came up with this stuff. It was recommended on a couple knitting/crafts boards that I happened across while searching.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1930...nav=paints.html

In the instructions it says this about nylon and polyester:

"On nylon, which is very much like silk, we've found that it works best if it's PFP (prepared for printing). Non-PFP nylon often has oils and other substances to make it easier to weave, but that also interfere with the absorption of the pigment and will produce less than optimal results.

On Polyester and other synthetics, we found that this product sticks pretty well, unlike our other dyes."

But some old lady in a store can probably give way better advice than everyone here, who just seem to be guessing (at least, I'm just guessing).