Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCott

New Chest/Arm

I'm in the market for a new chest/arm protector, and I'm not sure where to start. Looking online, it's difficult to judge one over another. I am trying to get something protective but not too pricey.

I have checked out GoalieMonkey's sale on Eagle C/As (Sentry 1, Sentry 2, Sentry Pro). Am I headed in the right direction, or should I check elsewhere?

Any advice on the Eagles, or others is appreciated.

I don't think I want to spend more than $175-$200 or so. I'll be playing higher level Mens league (A-B level)

Look for a lightly used Brown on eBay - with that budget you'll get something really nice. Hell, there's a nearly-new Brown 503 with a BIN price of $100 right now, and he'll take offers...

The Eagle C/A's were never a strong point - fairly protective, but not as bomb-proof as they should have been for the sheer amount of uncomfortable bulk they had.

the brown looks pretty comfy. im looking into a reebok C/A. its seems to sit well on your body and is comfy too. the only fault i think would be how low the neck comes down, but as long as you have a flapper you should be fine.

Dan, you just missed out on my brown, sorry.

Anyway, see if you can snipe a used pro level unit on ebay or the GSBB classifieds. That's how I scored the Epic I'm using now and I like it a bunch. Not as comfy as a Brown, but it seems to fit me better. Try to stay away from the lower priced Eagles on Goaliemonkey (Sentry, I believe). I read some stuff on GSBB and apparently they have massive durability problems.

Look for a lightly used Brown on eBay - with that budget you'll get something really nice. Hell, there's a nearly-new Brown 503 with a BIN price of $100 right now, and he'll take offers...

The Eagle C/A's were never a strong point - fairly protective, but not as bomb-proof as they should have been for the sheer amount of uncomfortable bulk they had.

That one on ebay will be protective enough for mid level men's adult league Ice?

I have pretty much everything needed to step up to ice (been playing roller puck goal) but I have an ITech 4.8 c/a and want to upgrade the protection as I feel the 4.8 isn't enough.

The 503 is equivalent to the current 1800 - so yeah, it's plenty protective enough for a mid-level beer league. It's lightyears beyond the 4.8.

And Ron's right - the low-end Eagle stuff suffered from some construction issues. Partly that it wasn't super well-made, partly that it was so overly bulky that they tore themselves apart.

Anyway, see if you can snipe a used pro level unit on ebay or the GSBB classifieds. That's how I scored the Epic I'm using now and I like it a bunch. Not as comfy as a Brown, but it seems to fit me better. Try to stay away from the lower priced Eagles on Goaliemonkey (Sentry, I believe). I read some stuff on GSBB and apparently they have massive durability problems.

I was going to ask you once I saw it in the GSBB classifieds, but you must have sold within the past week. I'll keep looking for a used brown or something else.

There was another 2000 on ebay that caught my eye, but shipping is $75!

also, that 503 is a size 5. the seller thinks its a medium or large, any help?

$75 for shipping is BS. I just sent my old Brown to Calgary from Brooklyn for $30 with insurance via USPS.

As far as sizing goes, mine was a size small, which is a size 1 in his old chart. I know you only wore mine once, but you can try to figure out how it would fit from that.

Yeah a small or medium is probably best for me. I am a few inches taller than you, Ron. That 2000 with the 75 shipping from western Canada is also on the GSBB classifieds for 300, maybe I'll try to talk to him there.

get the reebok 6k at goalie monkey or inlinewarhouse great chest just bought one recently very good protection ...it might feel al il bit bulky at first and stiff but after few games youll get used to it

I'd much rather get a McKenney in that price-range - kind of a poor-man's Brown, equally well-built but lacking that extra degree of protection and classic comfort.

Hey Ron, what size Epic did you go with, and how does the sizing compare with the Browns?

Epic is a size small as well. The body fits a bit better, however, the arms feel like they're an inch longer. I'd say Brown fits a size larger than other companies on average.

That is a great C/A, it is hyper protective, but you still have good mobility. When you are in the b-fly and some spoonhead takes a slapshot from the faceoff circle you will appreciate it. Thats a great price as well. I would be interested in hearing how it works out for you. It was a toss-up between the Epic and the John Brown when I was looking for mine, ended up with a good deal on the Epic from Goaliestore.com buy and sell. I highly recommend the John Brown pants as well, I have never had a shot get through!

I finally got a chance to use the Brown last night, and it felt great. The forearms are shorter than I would like, though I didn't really notice any gaps there (though I am still using old-spec gloves). The neck sits pretty low, but I just got a Maltese combo to fix that problem. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Great call on the Maltese - the Brown neckline is a bit low, but nowhere near as boat-necked as an RBK.

The short forearms are usually not an issue on the blocker side, but if you feel exposed on the glove side, the Leafs trainers did a neat mod for Trevor Kidd that involved sewing the wrist-guard from a Jofa elbow-pad to the cuff. It seemed to do the trick. That said, I never bothered with it myself, and I am using NHL spec gloves in effect (they're the old Int. Pro grade).