Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yakus

Master Haglund's topic

Actually, it is an insideous plot by bauer. They contaminate their vapor line of skates with a special genetic bone growth-enhancer, so over the course of a season bone spurs grow out until they are stopped by the skate back. Then, next season if you try to buy a different manufacturer's skates, they rub the bone spurs the wrong way--causing severe pain. Thus, you have to keep buying vapor skates for the rest of your life!

I hear that General Motors is doing the same thing with its drivers seats.

I got these from playing soccer, too many practices being too lazy to put on socks. And i used to run a lot without socks. But I think, is it possible that my feet developed an immunity to it? Cause I skate WAY more than 6 hours a week, don't wear socks, and I've never had a problem with those.

Bone spurs were a problem when I trained horses - and last time I looked horses don't wear skates!

In simple terms, it is caused by overusing (stretching) the tendon which holds your joint together and bony deposits form to fill in the gap. Young or unfit horses would develop them if they got worked too hard in soft or deep ground and, if you were foolish enough to overwork an out-of-condition horse, if you didn't ice them down thoroughly immediately after work.

Largely painless and cosmetic, if they develop in the wrong place it can be serious because it can reduce the mobility of the joint.

I'd suggest you not try to "tough out" any foot pain, but ice it immediately and resolve pressure spots or poorly fitting skates.

Heh sounds about right!

Looking through the link given by biff44 these look like a good idea.

http://www.skate-connection.com/sportsmed/bunga/b_achpad.htm

That and icing afterwards look like they could stop it enough to prevent growth.

I think the trouble with these "bunga pads" is that they feel weird. A lot of players like a tight grip feeling in their skates, and these are going to be squishy. If you can get used to them, then they would certainly stop the growth of the spurs.

Well if i can get them over to the U.K i will be trying them out. And will let you all know how they are!

I wore Bauer Vapor XI's and have a major spur, but only on my right foot.

I recently switched to Nike Flexlite10s and they seem to fit much differently, though technically both pairs are Bauers.

Just to throw in my 2 cents,... I've used the Silipos Achilles Gel Heel Pad and had pretty good results. However, my problem wasn't a spur, but achilles tendonitis (basically the same spot).

It does feel a little squishy at first, and it's a bit thick too, so it'll push your foot forward a little. Still, it beats the pain and discomfort, and after skating in them a few times, you'll swear you can't skate without them.

Oh and yeah,... I developed them wearing Bauer 7000's. After I changed skate brands the pain went away.

I have a heel spur and i am thinking of getting a pair of bauer skates soon, but so many people have said the spurs are worse with bauers so should i not get bauers? I got them from my mission 7500 rollers by the way.

Oh please, the only reason I mentioned the horses earlier was an attempt to head off the conclusion that bone spurs or heel spurs are caused by a particular BRAND of skate.

They are caused by:

1. poorly fitting skates that develop pressure points along your tendons.

2. not icing immediately when you experience pain/pressure.

3. working too hard when not in condition.

Not that I especially want to be "Defendress of the Bauer", that there appears to be a higher number of heel spurs reported here could simply reflect that Bauer has enjoyed a higher market share - they have more skates out there.

Any brand of skate that does not fit well could result in bone spurs. You need to make sure your skates fit YOU well.

Well doing this and teaching it on a daily basis I would have to say the information given here is 150% correct. and well written.

Oh please, the only reason I mentioned the horses earlier was an attempt to head off the conclusion that bone spurs or heel spurs are caused by a particular BRAND of skate.

They are caused by:

Not that I especially want to be "Defendress of the Bauer", that there appears to be a higher number of heel spurs reported here could simply reflect that Bauer has enjoyed a higher market share - they have more skates out there. 

Any brand of skate that does not fit well could result in bone spurs.  You need to make sure your skates fit YOU well.

Jeff...long time no hear...actually Hockeymom is seeking your services in TO...I have been meaning to drop you a line but I haven't seen you around...

Jeff...long time no hear...actually Hockeymom is seeking your services in TO...I have been meaning to drop you a line but I haven't seen you around...

No worries I will PM you the cell and work e-mail and if anyone else needs work e-mail just e-mail me the question.

I've worn CCM's all my life except for my current Nike Ignite skates.. My heels are top shap.. so far but trust me, after reading this I will take a closer look when I get home from work tonite :D

Where about are all you guys talking about - are you all refering to just your heels?

Since febuary time, using my 10,000's, i have developed more of these spurs, on the inside of my foot - nice big red lump, and more recently on the front of my foot, right at the top where the hairs on my leg start...

Its so wierd how this is happening all of a sudden, my missions are the same size as always and fit like a glove. They are developing pretty quickly, only the one on the top of my foot hurts after my boots have been on for a few hours.

The only thing I can think of is rubbing the area and breaking the calcium down after played - doesnt do much good and the grinding feeling you get where you can feel the calcium underneath is sick....and no way am i getting the operation yet. So im pretty stuck at the moment, where does everyone else get them besides their heels?

...nice big red lump, and more recently on the front of my foot, right at the top where the hairs on my leg start...

Sounds like lace bite here.

yeah i think it is, what can you do about it? anything?

they all started out as blisters when i first got the skates and have developed into these spurs...

yeah i think it is, what can you do about it? anything?

they all started out as blisters when i first got the skates and have developed into these spurs...

I got a small hard lump in the same place with my old skates. I got new skates with a lace bite protector in the tongue and it stopped bothering me. But the lump is still there, although it's gotten smaller over time. :(

A couple guys I skate with have it much worse. Some people have suggested a Bunga Pad, but I think basically any kind of silicon gel pad would work. The guy I skate with has a gel pad from the pharmacy which he cut a hole in to provide pressure relief where the bump is on his shin.

i gotta agree with Kovalchuk91- get the skates that FIT the best. bone spurs are caused by excessive movement in the boot. your foot will develop bone spurs much like an oyster makes a pearl. i have had great skates from nike and then they go and change the boot ( wider heel pocket ) that gave me bone spurs all over my heels. so i went down a size so that my toes overlapped and curled and my heel still lifted. so i went on to a pure fly and eventually a vapor XX. i liked both boots, but for my own personal preference i had to rocker both of them forward. the toe box was a touch small on the pure fly at the time so i went with the XX. long and short- go with what really fits- not what you think looks cool or what you think will make you the envy of everyone in the locker room.

They are caused by:

Any brand of skate that does not fit well could result in bone spurs. You need to make sure your skates fit YOU well.

They don't call it the "Bauer Bump" for nothing! They redesigned the vapor line a few years ago to help this problem, but I am not sure if the other lines were improved. However, I do agree that any skate that grabs the back of your heel can cause spurs.

No, misinformed people called it the Bauer Bump.

Yeah, and informed people that got heal spurs from bauer vapor XX's also call it the "Bauer Bump". You can not wish away the past!

http://i33.tinypic.com/igjh2p.jpg

Does this look like the same thing you guys are talking about? I've had this on my heel for about 4-5 years now and it has never really hurt much until I switched over to Tour boots. Now it rubs all the time and becomes raw and calloused after each game. It is not normally as red as it is in the picture, I just played for 4 hours last night.

I went to a foot surgeon a few weeks ago and she just called it a bone spur. She injected it with steroid stuff and it got smaller, but the bone has already been formed I believe.