Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ExitTwoEighty

Warranty for boots

Is it possible to warranty a pair of skates because they've turned soft? Is there a metric for something like that?

I've had Missions in which the outsole separated and I was able to warranty them. My past 4 pairs of skates have been Mission. My latest pair of Mission Assassins are ridiculously soft now, I can squeeze the boot with one hand. Unfortunately, with my luck they're just out of the one year mark. I played once a week and aired out my stuff most of the time after games I'm just not satisfied with this purchase.

Just for future reference, is it possible? How would the manufacturer determine this?

Am I just too tough on my skates? I've never had a pair last 2 years.

I don't know for sure but I seriously doubt there is any way you can return the skates due to the boot being to soft. You're best bet would really be to call the place you bought them, or mission, and see what they say. Good luck.

you cant warranty a pair for being too soft for you

the warranty on boots is only 90 days anyways, so the fact its past the year mark doesnt matter much

if you want a boot to last you longer, buy a stiffer boot, like the boss

Mission's warranty is 1 year on skates. I was just wondering if this was normal wear and tear or a defect. The skates weren't soft when I purchased them, it turned soft on me. How does buying the Boss guarantee the boots won't turn soft on me? Anyways, I guess I'll try another brand and avoid Missions now.

any skate is eventually going to get soft on you, it's not a defect or Mission's fault. It's a good product for the money, you may just need to step up the model ladder to a higher end, stiffer skate that won't get as soft over time

Mission's warranty is 1 year on skates. I was just wondering if this was normal wear and tear or a defect. The skates weren't soft when I purchased them, it turned soft on me. How does buying the Boss guarantee the boots won't turn soft on me? Anyways, I guess I'll try another brand and avoid Missions now.

It would probably be under normal wear and tear, if the stiffener had cracked and that was making them soft you might have a chance. You can always call mission and give it a shot anyway if you feel like it.

Buying the Boss doesn't garuntee that it won't go soft on you, but at the very least it's likely to take longer to get to the same point of softness. Of cource if you want a skate that would just about give you a life time peace of mind garuntee on not going soft you can try and find some Wicked 1's in your size, or even Wicked 3's.... If they fit.... :lol:

You mentioned that you have skated in them for a year. It could just be tear and wear. The Assassins are considered a mid level skate which means it's not too soft and not too stiff, kind of like in the middle. I have the same skates that serve me as my back ups and have used them for one season (3 games a week) and a few pick ups and they're still as stiff as when I bout them. Try fitting into the LT's or the Boss's or the new Boss line up(09) and you'll notice the difference. Now that other thing I can point out is the same thing Schrempsky mentioned above and what you said. Maybe the skate are not stiff enough for you and or your too tough on them. Your style of play could be a factor as to why they've gone soft in a year. I'm not too familiar with warranties but I don't think Mission's warranty would cover the skate being too soft now. But that's just my opinion. You could try and contacting Mission or the shop you bought the skates at.

Just remember that the higher the skate model, the stiffer the skate will be.

You are going through skates pretty quickly if you're only playing once a week in my opinion. I play more often and typically average more than two years out of my skates. Too be honest, I usually get sucked into new technology after a couple years and want to try something new.

However, I consistently dry my skates between skating sessions by pulling the inserts and putting a fan on them or leaving them in the open air. I usually break too many rivets before I decide my boot is too soft. Just my $.02. Nothing against Mission as my D1C's were fantastic, but trying something new is always fun...I'm skating some Super Tacks now and like 'em thus far.

im not guaranteeing the boss wont get soft on you, cause eventually you will break down every boot, you cant expect it to last forever.

most skate boots are only 90 day warrantys which is why i thought missions was too. however it states in the warranty that it does not cover normal wear and tear, which would be what yours falls under

I don't expect skates to last forever. I expect $300 skates to last longer than a year skating once a week. I guess I'm too tough on my skates, my Mission D1's separated at the out sole and were warranted by Mission with the D1C's. The D1C's also had out sole separation and were dumped.

I guess I'll try some other brand and I'll start fanning my skates since airing them out isn't enough.

What is the metric for normal wear and tear when it comes to boots turning soft too quickly?

You might consider the ice boot + roller hardware route. I used to wear Missions, and like you, would break mine down or tear them apart. I warrantied 3 pairs of skates and broke down 2. All within about 4 years' time. Of course this was playing 3 or 4 times a week. At any rate, since I switched to an ice boot, I have not had any such problems. My Vapor XI's have been going for at least 2 years now, and are still going strong. If Mission won't warranty your skate, you've already got the hardware, and finding a clearance ice boot shouldn't been too hard.

You might consider the ice boot + roller hardware route. I used to wear Missions, and like you, would break mine down or tear them apart. I warrantied 3 pairs of skates and broke down 2. All within about 4 years' time. Of course this was playing 3 or 4 times a week. At any rate, since I switched to an ice boot, I have not had any such problems. My Vapor XI's have been going for at least 2 years now, and are still going strong. If Mission won't warranty your skate, you've already got the hardware, and finding a clearance ice boot shouldn't been too hard.

Thanks, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one tearing skates apart. I was thinking about the Vapor XXII since they were $130. Were the Vapor XI the high end model of that year? I'm not sure if I should get a mid end skate or a high end clearance skate.

Thanks, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one tearing skates apart. I was thinking about the Vapor XXII since they were $130. Were the Vapor XI the high end model of that year? I'm not sure if I should get a mid end skate or a high end clearance skate.

After reading your experiences with Mission skates, I would recommend going with a high end closeout skate if it's in your budget.

Oh the Vapor XI were far from the top that year. Middle of the line, if I remember correctly. I think it may be the same level skate as the XXII, since XXII / XXXX = XI / XX. Little bit of math for ya. My XI's cost about $100. Adjusted for inflation, that's about right.

Oh, and the XI's were on clearance, hence the price. So go as high end as you can, because a high end boot from last year or two years ago will usually be better than a mid-level boot from this year.