Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CH Goalie 39

Retro Pads

I'm in the market for new pads, and I want something BAD ASS. Unique, to say. After all, if I'm spending big money, I hope I can get what I like, huh? So I wanted to go with something that would match anything, then I said to myself, ALL WHITE! But I started doubting myself and saying that those aren't too unique, blah blah blah. So I ended up deciding that I want a retro colored pad. For example, http://cgi.ebay.com/34-3-TPS-SUMMIT-7-ULTR...bayphotohosting. But I'm not in love with the Summit model pad. I like the Simmons UL5s, but can they do this kind of work? And I'm also considering the Smith S1000s. Anybody who might know any other company who could do this kind of customization and offers a good pad AND MAINLY PRICE, let me know! All help is appreciated!

Tomas

If you want it done cheaply, stay away from the big names. Vaughn and Brian's make beautiful pads pads, but they'll charge you a bomb for custom work. Battram, Smith and Viper are major options. There used to be a fourth in Vortek, but they're moving offshore and no-one seems very clear on what they'll still be offering.

Pete Smith's retro work can, as I'm sure you know, be found in his online gallery. It's terrific work, and the basic Smith design (since it was the original Vaughn Velocity) will feel and play very much like a Velocity or a UL5 (which is a straight copy of the Velo).

Scott Battram has probably done the most impressive retro gear work I've seen. He's incredibly good at working in the little visual details that make it come alive, and he has access to a whole host of really neat materials. Here, for example, is a set of white retro pads he did a while back:

rogerfryepads.jpg

rogerfryeside.jpg

Frankly, I like his old-school leather-like ones even better. Scott's pad designs (I'm talking internally here) had historically been based on popular designs (Cyclone ~= Velocity, Deceptor ~= Velocity with some changes), but his newest pad (the Nexus) is a unique creation. It plays a bit like an RBK pad that's been made completely flexible from toe to top - that would seem to be a contradiction in terms, but that's the construction.

James McLellan only started Viper a little while back, but he's doing some amazing stuff. He'll do just about anything you ask, his prices are extremely good, and his work is first rate. I haven't seen a retro set from him, but like I said, he can do anything. If your concerns are uniqueness and low price, Viper might be the best bet for you.

Unfortunately, that colour is even uglier in person. It's not a genuine retro material (like Bucky, for example) but a standard shade out of the Ennis catalogue that I believe is called 'light mustard' to 'light tan'. It's the colour of babyshit.

Yup. You can treat it with Sno-Seal to prevent too much buildup, but it's still not comparable to Jenpro.

There are much, much better 'retro' materials available now that are actually more durable than Jenpro.

Unfortunately, that colour is even uglier in person. It's not a genuine retro material (like Bucky, for example) but a standard shade out of the Ennis catalogue that I believe is called 'light mustard' to 'light tan'. It's the colour of babyshit.

Our store manager fell for this a few weeks ago, blocker and glove came for him and he didnt even take them out of the box; was funny as hell actually, "oh what the fuck is this?"

Very nice. Did he happen to say which retro material he's using at the moment? I *think* most of his previous sets were Bucky, but I may have seen a couple in 'Chocolate Brown' Jenpro; if he has found a better material, he hasn't made it widely known yet.

Bucky's not that bad - you just need to be really careful about letting it dry and treating it with Sno-Seal (or Obaneuf's, or any silicon/beeswax waterproofer) regularly. The only other less-than-optimal properties are weight (Bucky's a good bit heavier than Jenpro) and the fact that it can pick up snow and get a little sticky. It's not as severe as the difference between Jenrpo and Cordura nylon, and the weight issue isn't going to add anything like a full pound to a 38" pad, but it's still there.

The Chocolate colour in Jenpro is kind of like the brown in the Cleveland Browns' uniforms. It can look quite dark, but in more rink-ish lighting it's pretty good. I found a couple of shots (one Smith, one Battram) to give you an idea of how it looks:

10-18-07.JPG

blocker-317.jpg

Both images are from the makers' websites; just takes a little digging to find more. What the Chocolate Jenpro lacks is the faintly 'fuzzy' finish of Bucky that makes it look like the natural nap of Nubuck leather; it also doesn't have the deep texture and faint patina of a really convincing full-grain retro synthetic leather. Don't get me wrong: Chocolate Brown is a great retro material, but it isn't perfect visually, in the same way that Bucky isn't perfect in terms of performance.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pete's upcharging $100 for both Bucky and Chocolate Jenpro - both are in relatively short supply, and I've even heard that the Chocolate may have been discontinued.

As for other material options, most makers are playing that pretty close to the chest. I know Battram has a bunch of different options that are progressively better and more expensive; Smith may have a sliding scale like that too. Vortek and Vaughn have made sets in real leather.

The bucky is sounding less and less convincing. I don't know that I want to have to maintain and treat my pads regularly. I just email Pete Smith back asking what materials he had available for retro. By the way, if anybody has cool pictures of some cool retro pads, please post! I want to be even more excited to get my pads! I'll start, Carey Price!

price.jpg

Harding

Harding.jpg

DiPietro

DiPietro.jpg

Sabourin

Sabourin.jpg

All lookin bad ass

I'll say it again... I love Harding's aesthetic - retro pads and clear-finish wood twigs.

I'll second that! If I had the money I would but that outfit in a heart beat.

From the pics you posted...

Price is in an unconfirmed material; many have speculated that it's real leather, but it could be a very, very high-end and incredibly expensive synthetic.

Harding and Dipietro are in Bucky.

Sabourin is in some crappy shade of synthetic that Sherwood found in China - no idea what the hell it actually is. Yes, I am aware that most synthetic textiles comes from the Pacific Rim, but the stuff Sherwood used on its 9990s and C12's was way, way below standard. They probably had access to a far greater range of colours than Ennis (who distributes Jenpro & other synthetics to the majority of goalie-gear makers in North America), but without the same assurance of quality - hence the crappy look. Sabby's wearing something a few shades darker than the baby-puke tan we talked about before.

Just emailed him. I have a feeling I'm gonna need the jenpro, considering i go to Narch Nationals every year. (roller hockey tournament). I bet the bucky would rip[ to shreds if I used it on a roller rink, no?

Bucky on the whole pad would be horrible for roller...

You can, however, get a Bucky face (ie. front) for the pad with Jenpro or Cordura on the medial (inside) gussets and surfaces (eg. knee- and calf-wings, etc.). Lots of people have had that done.

If you don't know ice much (if at all), you might want to go for Cordura on the sliding surfaces - wears and moves way, way better off-ice. Not as well as UHMWPE slide-plates but pretty damn smoothly.

No no I play mainly ice, but I used to play roller hockey a lot, and I have a lot of buddies who didn't make the move to ice, so occasionally I play tournaments with them, but your idea sounds great law goalie. I'll talk to Pete about doing that.