Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Chadd

CCM 852 Shin Pads

CCM 852 Shin Pads

Protection

These are a lightweight pad, not made for blocking NHL-quality shots. That said, I've never blocked a shot and had it hurt. There are wrap around wings for calf protection, though I wouldn't want to take a slapper off of them. The calf protectors are padded, with no inserts. 6-10

Fit/Comfort

Very comfortable, no break in required. I'have a 32 inch inseam and use 15" pads tucked behind the tongue of my skates. All of the padding in them has a fabric liner and the pads themsleves are perforated, allowing air to flow well and for minimum weight. 8-10

Quality/Durability

After every game I always remove the pads from my bag and hang them up to dry. I was surprised to find that the seams around the outside were coming apart. I had used my previous pair of shin pads for several years without any signs of problems. The padding used in the removable liner isn't sturdy enough to hold its shape when washed so I have to reshape them by hand when I do actually wash them. The main parts of the pad are still holding up with no issues with the plastic shell or calf wraps. 6-10

Conclusion

These pads are good for rec hockey if you can get a deal on them. I would not use them for elite level competition, nor would I pay more than $50 US for them. If you can find them for that price and only want to use them for pickup or house leagues, it's not a bad choice. They would also work well for anyone playing inline, wanting a lightweight pad the breathes well. 6.5-10

UPDATE

Nearly a year and a half after the initial review I am still using these pads. They look like hell and the straps are stretched out but I haven't been able to find a deep, wide fitting pad with a strap style that I like.

Edited by Chadd