Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bezerk

ECHL open tryouts and probability

Yeah well I am not sure about making Junior A, I know I can make Junior B..but A will be a bit of a long shot. I will go to the B tryouts, and depending how I play there I could always show up or ask to attend a Junior A teams tryouts, because I am not sure if they're open to the public. A lot of goods posts here, thanks so much!

In terms of the SPHL (previously mentioned), is it even possible to live off those low wage salaries?

I will be trying out next summer..so it's a very long time from now..hopefully I can post up any results by then if I remember!

Yeah well I am not sure about making Junior A, I know I can make Junior B..but A will be a bit of a long shot. I will go to the B tryouts, and depending how I play there I could always show up or ask to attend a Junior A teams tryouts, because I am not sure if they're open to the public. A lot of goods posts here, thanks so much!

In terms of the SPHL (previously mentioned), is it even possible to live off those low wage salaries?

I will be trying out next summer..so it's a very long time from now..hopefully I can post up any results by then if I remember!

My brother played in the SIJHL and they have open tryouts where you don't have to pay anything. My brother went to an open tryout in the spring, end of summer he was invited back to the main camp and stayed with the team. Do you have in mind playing somewhere in Quebec?

Possible to live really depends on the lifestyle that you want to live and the team. I don't know what those guys make specifically, but at the end of the day ask yourself the basic question. (Say they make $500 a week, which my guess would be is a bit on the high end, I'm thinking $300 may be more realistic) Can I live (pay rent, groceries, bills, gas, etc.) on $500 (or $300) a week? The answer may depend on where exactly you have to live. Also remember that you don't get paid during the off-season so you'll probably have to find some kind of off-season employment.

Also, check out Justin Bourne's blog for some idea as to what the life is like playing in the ECHL - if you're going to play in a lower league, discount the lifestyle accordingly.

Good luck to you OP. Just keep working hard!

+1 going the CIS route. Though if you can not make JR.A the chances of getting a starters role on a CIS team is pretty slim. At least on a decent CIS team. If you have 1 year left, work your hardest at JR.B or A if you can make it, then try out for a CIS team (depending on what school you go to). Plus, at least if you finish up at a Uni, you have a degree or most of a degree done by the end of it. Also, if you really improve look towards some schools in the US.

AHL has taken players right out of the CIS (IE- Darryl Boyce).

One of guys that I used to work with played in the ECHL, and Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers was on the team for a while, so it is possible.

Hard work will take you far, but the cards are stacked against you at this point so best of luck to you and keep up the hard work.

my local ECHL team just pulled a goalie out of the mens league here. ya never know what could happen.

What team was that? What was the goalies previous history..

my local ECHL team just pulled a goalie out of the mens league here. ya never know what could happen.

What team was that? What was the goalies previous history..

SC Stingrays

only history i know of is here http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=118027 - basically 1 period last year.

although, i doubt he'll see much ice time. All depends on how long jose theodore is out.

Dont know if I anyone ever said this....

Toledo Walleye had open tryouts and took 4 to the main camp. A few of them were around till last cuts....

I knew a kid who attended an ECHL open tryout out of Jr.A and got picked up. He was cut after preseason or shortly after regular season began. He was purely a fighter though and not much else. So really who knows what could happen. Back in the day when the old IHL was around it was unlikely for anyone to have a shot at the NHL from the EC. Times have changed a lot.

The CIS is really good hockey for the most part (the exceptions being a few last place teams). A lot of the league is made up of ex-major junior players, young ex-pros (CHL, ECHL, sometimes AHL), and good Jr.A/B players. And as mentioned, many guys move on to solid pro careers as well. HOWEVER, many teams carry guys from Jr.A/B who weren't necessarily great in their junior careers and I've even seen a goalie make it out of Midget AAA.

The best advice I could give for a Junior player looking to make a pro team is to look at the SPHL and IHL. I've seen a few guys from Tier II make teams in both leagues.

What do you guys think of the ACAC?

ACAC Website

I could be a good bridge to the CIS, because if I don't make or am not at the CIS caliber in a year or two (at most), I could attend one of these..play a year or two (although it does knock off a year or two of CIS eligibility), but could be a decent bridge.

What does anyone think of this idea?