Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bezerk

ECHL open tryouts and probability

Hey guys I am curious to attend an open tryout for the ECHL next fall..here is a little background on me (sorry if it's a little lengthy)..tell me what you think my chances are and such.

I am a Junior A (not equivalent to Junior A outside the province of Quebec) caliber goaltender, but I never exercised or put any extra time into the game. I have been a goaltender my whole life..but never took it seriously or had some serious parental direction to help me out.

I have had many friends on my teams that are Junior AA players (equivalent to Junior B outside my province), and faired very very very VERY well against them all the time. I believe if I actually put on some weight (I am 5'9 and 155, was 150 2 weeks ago..started working out)..and went on the ice more than twice a week, I could easy thrive in Junior AA (Junior B outside my province).

The problem is, I turned 20 this past July. I have one more year of Juniors I can play (so next year I am going to show up to a AA tryout, and I am very confident I will make the team, or if I am lucky AAA..but I am taking baby steps here). Next year is also my last year in College, then in 2011-2012 I will attend a Canadian university (hopefully make CIS). Would it be fair to say..if you cannot make a CIS team, you have pretty much no chance at a semi pro or pro career? I have two full years to develop before CIS, and if I do not make it then..then I may as well just get my degree. What do you guys think of this plan?

You may laugh, but Glen Metropolit of the Canadiens played his last years of Juniors in Junior B (Junior AA in Quebec), and then went into the ECHL. I figure, if he played Junior B, and did well (which I think I can do as well)..why can't I?

And as long as there is a sliver of an open door opportunity to live the dream, why not? I saw a lot of the teams giving open tryouts this year, were down south.

Why not drive down there in a year or two (I have a Nissan Pathfinder, I worked and payed it off the whole last year, in great shape for any 3000+mile road trip), and tryout for a team..and worse case scenario..I don't make the cut, don't get any calls and get a good life experience out of it and a road trip (could always bring a few buds for memories and support!)?

I am an optimist, and a firm believer that anyone can do anything, if they put their mind to it (with obviously a backup plan, you never know if you get a career ending injury).

Motivational but realistic posts pertaining to my situation would be quite helpful.

With your background I'm sorry to say you most likely won't make an echl team. They will take a player who was drafted in the NHL far before they go looking for a guy who showed up to open tryouts. The EC is a very talented league. I suggest starting out in one of the lower leagues (SPHL, EPHL) and working your way up. The EC is filled with EX NCAA D1 Players and kids from Major juniors.

Not to be debbie downer, but these tryouts are usually just you paying for some ice time. I don't think anyone really ever gets a second look.

I've known ex-college players who would go to these and score 7 points in 3 games and get the ''Sorry, you aren't what we are looking for.'' I've seen some pretty crazy things too. Guys who have not alot of hockey skill but can beat the hell out of someone pretty easily. So they are looking for an excuse to show their fighting skill in these camps. I've literally seen guys chase each other around the ice trying to fight them. It's not a good scene when someone gets caught.

In your case, I wouldn't be touching these camps without full knowing that you won't loose any eligibility to play college (university) hockey. In the states if you receive any compensation from a semi-pro, pro, or Canadian Jr. A teams, your NCAA or ACHA eligibility is done. Don't know how this works in Canada. It's a fine line with tryout camps and what is and what is not considered compensation. Lots of fine print and interpretation.

But keep in mind a ECHL team is going to take a player that is drafted in their system rather than someone off the street.

Just giving you what I know, but good luck on whatever you do!

If you are serious, try the CHL. Its not bush like the UHL but is actually really good for the league. Spend time there, work self up to EC, than the A, then the show...

ECHL is going to be too good for you most likely.

My friend who is amazing, like, A league player who can score at will and deke everyone 100 times and sees the ice godly, made the CHL, and if it wasn't for the death of his daughter, was going to make the AHL after a season. He quit competitive after that, but he had a legit shot at making a AHL team full-time after a year or two of work.

For yourself, unless you are destroying Junior A, you have little shot of making an EC team. Best shot would be CHL. If they think you are good enough, you'll be getting looks from people all around.

Sorry to be honest. If you are eligible for NCAA hockey, I'd go that route with a D1 school. Tryout, make team, spent 2 years maybe 3 at school, leave at 23-24 and if you were a good keep at NCAA you'll have a great shot at an EC team. WOrk there for a year or two, get up to AHL, work there for a year or two, get the call to the show. Up to you as your route, if you want to be AHL/NHL 3rd by age 24, try out for CHL, make them, play, go to EC, play year or two, go to AHL after that.

Lots of work ahead if you're serious. Hockey 5-6 days a week, gym every day, working extra off and on ice, etc. good luck

The key is putting in hard work every day from now until you get a chance to try out. You will want to try and find an agent before you are ready to head for the tryouts. Having one will make it easier to get noticed at a tryout.

Alright, so theres a better chance at making a CHL team, than an ECHL team? If so, that sounds good to me because I am willing to work my way up. I was checking out the CHL website and their arenas, they don't seem like such a joke. Im sure this is really competitive hockey none the less.

Does the CHL have open tryouts like some of those ECHL teams? If so is the probability of making one, at the same of an ECHL tryout (based off previous posts, there being a slim to no chance)?

CIS is pretty underrated man. I don't know of many, if any for that matter, players going from Junior B straight to CIS. A lot of players from the Q, OHL and WHL jump into that league, and it's getting increasingly better, some teams better than DIV. I NCAA. Guys are getting NHL tryouts now, and are making AHL and ECHL teams left and right.

Well if you look up a lot of CIS rosters, they're pretty much all Major Junior kids or people from AAA (the Quebec rosters, so people from major junior and Junior A outside of Quebec). So it's safe to say, if I don't make Junior B, there is no chance at CIS? I am willing to do whatever I need, but I made this thread to try to give me some motivational posts on how I could go about achieving my goals, not if they're impossible.

I don't know about you man but I would take the 'impossible' remarks as the biggest motivation of all.

Best of luck.

Making a CIS roster is super hard as is. Most of the guys playing CIS are from the QMJHL, the OHL, or the WHL who are now on free educations from the CHL. Best of luck tho, hard work is always the key brother...

To the OP, make a dedication, committment, healthy mindset, and a healthy hockey body. Try to surround yourself with positive successful people who bring you up when you need that extra motivation. You can play in the ECHL if you train hard enough and have the right mindest.

My honest advice to you is to first try to play as high as you can before trying out. Be it Jr.A, B, CIS, NCAA, whatever. I recommend playing a least a year of college first, gets you some experience and makes you a more well rounded and prepared person if you ever decide to quit hockey or for something like unforseen injuries occurs you arent screwed. Also, keep in mind unless you play at least AHL your pay sucks so you are just out there for the love of the game and to try and advance yourself into a better league.

After that, if you are not ready for ECHL tryout in an A league(SPHL,EPHL,AAHA,) lower AA league (CHL,UHL, IHL) or explore options overseas. It's all about trying to get your feet in the water at this point, and being the best you can be on your team to go to the next level. It may take a while, a few years, but you have to be patient and persistent. You can do it, you just need to believe that you can. Glen Metropolit is a good example for anyone who wants to achive their dream, and if he can then why cant you?

Good luck buddy I'm in the same boat as you becuase I want to play professional hockey one day and I know in my heart and mind that I can do it if I give it all I got. You need to belive in that mindset too.

Thanks for the last few posts, really really good information that puts things into perspective in terms of the route I must take. In my opinion, a lot of people give up not because they aren't physically capable (even though some people might have some disability), but because they aren't mentally conditioned properly. I have been reading some hockey psychology books, and if you can learn to overcome things mentally, you can persevere.

Keep in mind, being a successful athlete requires high levels of confidence and expectations, which are both mental. The way I see it, the physical work out is just the daily grind, but the real work is upstairs.

I am actually just about to get on my stationary bike and do some more sets of crunches and pushups, just gaining as much definition as possible before I start doing weights. Any posts on how about I could go about getting into lower level A leagues would be great.

I am actually very knowledgeable about my position, but never had a father explain all sorts of these things to me (off ice contracts ect), so I am not aware of how to get into these leagues.

Good luck kovy with your dream, don't let anyone put you down or tell you that cannot do it, because the sky is the limit and barricades are only put up to be broken down!

Jeez, I would go for it. It would be a hoot, and a great road trip. Honestly, your chances of making it are pretty slim. I would also check into the college eligibility rules, you do not want to go to a single tryout and get screwed out of any college chances. I think the rules are not accepting any money, and no exhibition or regular season games AGAINST ANOTHER TEAM.

You do want to get ready for the tryouts. Maybe a few sessions with a local goalie coach, and a lot of pickup hockey until then.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to discourage you, if you want to give it a go, by all means, you don't have anything to lose.

That being said, if you can't make a CIS team then your chances of making an ECHL team are almost nil. There are NCAA D1 scholarship guys that can't hack it in the ECHL these days. Every once in a while you'll get a kid that played D3 that can make some hay in the ECHL, but those are very rare. I would just say to go in with your eyes open, know what you're getting into, and, if you're 100% sold on not playing college hockey, (because of the eligibility regs) go for it.

You can only play as well as you can play. It may well not be good enough, but at least you'll know. I'd rather be cut any day than not go and look back years later wondering what might have happened. So go, have a good time, leave it all on the ice, and at the end of the day you come away with the answer to your question. Might not be the answer you want, but rejection is a temporary sting, regrets will plague you forever.

Everyone on this thread has been encouraging. Go for it buddy, but I hope you realize that you'll have to work your butt off. You don't want to be 35 and think "what if" as regret is a useless emotion. Good luck man!

Try making Junoir A or something this coming year, your last year of eligibility right? Then your going to have to excel there if you want to make the CIS. Finish getting your education while playing hockey there. Then see where you stand, ECHL or are you only going to be able to make a lower league and work yourself up. I'd say CIS or NCAA is the best route because then if you don't make "it" you still have your education to back yourself up. You remind me of the position my brother is in. It's a long way he went but here's the story anyways. Minor Midget year was playing house league. First you of Major Midget makes Single A. Second year Major Midget he makes Triple. The following year all he plays hockey is at the outdoor rink. His dream comes back and the next year he makes a Junoir A team after not even playing hockey the year before. And well this year he made the CIS. It just shows how much he worked his way up from his Minor Midget year in house league. Go for it kid!