Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ReggieDunlop

BladeMaster Height comparator gauge

Is there an alternative to the expensive BladeMaster height comparator tool to find the center of the wheel during sharpening blades. I have heard of some using a digital height gauge, or is there a generic height gauge that does the same trick. Post any pics or do tell tricks to speed up the sharpening process without losing quality. I do use the Blackstone tri-lie holder with the edge-pro level gauge and I do get a good even level finish, but I want to be more accurate on the first pass especially with the Flat Bottom V (FBV) cuts. Also a tool like that would help me in determining slightly bent blades and making corrections if necessary.

Edited by ReggieDunlop
  • Thanks 1

Been a few years since this post with no replies? I am seeking the same thing, cant see the reason to sprend over $600 on a height comparator from blademaster. 

I am thinking about designing my own and just throwing the idea out there to others. I am going to try 2 dial indicators on a single stand.  Each dial indicated (one above and below) will be set so that when up against the stone both will read the same number, then when removed from the stone they will be at 0 and ever so closely touching.  Then, when you compare the indicators to the skate blade, you just adjust the blade height so both indicators have the same reading. I am looking at adding roller points to make things easier to compare. 

Thoughts? 

i did own one for awhile but ended up not using it as much - once you get the holder dialed in - just not needed as much.  I make some passes and check with my edge checker (on the back of the blade and towards the front) if I need an adjustment with holder dials.  I'm sure there are cheaper versions that could simulate the same process  for example - - https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-travel-machinists-dial-indicator-63521.html - Might get you in the ball park for the fine tuning but not as accurate as the real deal

I've never found the need for the height comparator gauge.  Prior to sharpening I'll check the skate blade with my Blademaster Pro Square.  If they're not level I'll look for the position and size of the spark on the wheel.  When I've made full contact with the blade to the wheel, I'll check the level again before making any height adjustments.