Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fox

Would you wear them?

personally I don't think there's anything we can do to "increase" the flow of the game. It's just that this era's style has been clutching ang grabbing and trapping. I say just let it go; in a couple of years everyone'll play like Tampa does...

That's probably the worst idea I've heard. If they call the penalties as they should, players will have to stop holding and grabbing. Tampa plays the style they do because they have the talent to play that style and an aggressive coaching staff. Most teams don't have the talent to play the way Tampa does and many of the ones that do, choose to play a trapping system because it's easier than playing an offensive one.

with composite sticks shots go alot faster. so hey lets make the goalie gear smaller. it just doesnt sound right.

they actuually don't go much faste than with wood sticks.

Just a comment from what I know , I'm new here so I'll keep it simple . I play high end beer league where I face 70 to 80 shot on any given night , so yes I'll have 8 ,10 goals on me cause there's not hitting or so , but every two months we'll have a turnament and anything goes , with that said the puck carrier will not do end to end rushes and scores are always low 3/2 or 4/2

So if they play hockey the way they play the allstar games would there scores not he higher ? And leave the goalies equipment alone !

Just my 2 cents

I have been wearing the Brian's A-Maxx for a while now. They are not nearly as wide as my old pads (Velocity). Contrary to popular belief, I am much more agile now than before and have much more mobility in the crease. I allow fewer goals now than before. Maybe it’s just me....

(does anyone have an exact measurement of the A-Maxx? I am just going by feel and look, they might be 10.5 - 11? I am not sure... But they just dont feel as wide as the Vaughns did)

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
Looking back at old games what have now become routine shots used to be scoring chances. People would score regularly from along the boards or at the blueline with slapshots. The goalies have improved, and while I do not think this will help, it is not an easy task to make more scoring chances. I think this could help, but marginally at best.

I am curious about your comment Eazy_b97. Do you mean because of the width of the pad, the height of the pad, or both?

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
I think it's not what is in net that is the problem. Reduction of the jersey size was ok. But removing a total of 4" off the goalie will maybe have .25 or .75 avg goal per game. Twelve inch pads have been around since the 1940's. So yes in the high scoring 80's the Grant Fuhr, Pete Peters, Patrick Roy and Ron Hextal had 12' pads. The thing we didn't have in the 80's was the trap. Hockey back then was all offence.

If they want to increase scoring opportunities they sould push the net back were it was before, it would increase the offensive zone. Go back to no touch iceing, it would reduce Injures. Go back to the time when miner penalties were done only when the 2 minutes were up. In other words a team could have 2 or 3 goales on the same powerplay.

Finally have the refes call the game and not manage it. They sould call everything. If it is the first game of the season or game 7 of the cup final. Call the clutching and grabbing, so that the talanted players can play and not get obstructed by the not as talanted players. There would be alot of penalties in the begining, but there professionals they'd adjust.

The thing is to improve the product you don't only have to increase scoring. You have to find a way to increase scoring opportunities. Yes spectacular goals are nice to see, but awsome save are also cool to watch. The league has to find ways to encourage teams to play more offensive minded.

Hit the nail on the head! Except I think you meant 12 inches and not 12 feet ;)

As a goalie first, and a player second, I will say that goal pads have gotten a little big these days.

I agree with everyone who says that scoring chances, and not just scoring, is what is needed to put the excitement back in the game. I don't think there needs to be any new rules.

There only needs to be one rule, and it already exists. It's called "interference". Every little hook, hold, clutch, grab, pick, etc. away from the play falls into this category. Call the intereference, and everything will work itself out. Yes, there will be quite a few penalties at first, but, as was stated above, they are professionals who will adjust.

Move the goal lines back, bring back touch up offsides, get rid of Bettman, and you are all set.

To get back on topic, I don't think that the width of goalie pads is the issue here. I think the height is the issue. Either way, if you double the scoring chances in a game, the size of a goalie's pads will be completely irrelevant.

As a goalie first, and a player second, I will say that goal pads have gotten a little big these days.

I agree with everyone who says that scoring chances, and not just scoring, is what is needed to put the excitement back in the game.  I don't think there needs to be any new rules.

There only needs to be one rule, and it already exists.  It's called "interference".  Every little hook, hold, clutch, grab, pick, etc. away from the play falls into this category.  Call the intereference, and everything will work itself out.  Yes, there will be quite a few penalties at first, but, as was stated above, they are professionals who will adjust.

Move the goal lines back, bring back touch up offsides, get rid of Bettman, and you are all set.

To get back on topic, I don't think that the width of goalie pads is the issue here.  I think the height is the issue.  Either way, if you double the scoring chances in a game, the size of a goalie's pads will be completely irrelevant.

Well said.

There should be a sliding scale for the height of pads based on the goalie's actual height. Arturs Irbe shouldn't be wearing the same size pads as Garth Snow.

Quite, Garth Snow's pads couple season back looked like Shaq O'Neall could wear them. :D

Move the goal lines back....

Move the goal lines back.... how the heck will that help scoring....It will open up the slot... but at what costs ....when you can't fit a 6'0" 230lb defence men behind your own net. The goal line is fine where it is. My defence have problems covering the defencive end as it is now it doesn't need to be bigger.(longer)

Well, it's official. We all know they're moving it down in the NHL, but it's going to 10'' in the College Level in a couple of years.

personally I don't think there's anything we can do to "increase" the flow of the game.  It's just that this era's style has been clutching ang grabbing and trapping.  I say just let it go; in a couple of years everyone'll play like Tampa does...

That's probably the worst idea I've heard. If they call the penalties as they should, players will have to stop holding and grabbing. Tampa plays the style they do because they have the talent to play that style and an aggressive coaching staff. Most teams don't have the talent to play the way Tampa does and many of the ones that do, choose to play a trapping system because it's easier than playing an offensive one.

Some teams used to have that agressive stratagie, like Colorado, Detroit, and Dallas, but they lost key players Colo - Roy , Detr - Hasek, Dallas- well i dont follow dallas but they were good... oh BRETT HULL

personally I don't think there's anything we can do to "increase" the flow of the game.  It's just that this era's style has been clutching ang grabbing and trapping.  I say just let it go; in a couple of years everyone'll play like Tampa does...

Some teams used to have that agressive stratagie, like Colorado, Detroit, and Dallas, but they lost key players Colo - Roy , Detr - Hasek, Dallas- well i dont follow dallas but they were good... oh BRETT HULL

Detroit won the cup based on having one man forecheck hard and having the LW get back to help the D. Their version of the LW lock is what made the biggest difference in their cup runs.