Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Mask for kid just starting

My nine-year-old son has started playing goalie this year full-time in house league after about five turns in net during his last couple of years playing. He really has taken to it and wants to stick with it. I managed to score some decent used gear for him but he is still wearing his player helmet and cage and was asking for a "real" goalie helmet. I saw an Itech 1200 youth helmet at goaliemonkey for $60 which seemed like a good deal but I have no clue about model lines around goalie gear. Is the 1200 a decent helmet that will give him the protection he needs facing house league 9 and 10 year old shots? Any advice from goalies out there around this new journey in equipment buying for a young, developing goalie would be appreciated.

Absolutely not - do not buy an Itech 1200. It's a waste of money, and I wouldn't trust it to face repeated impacts from tennis balls. The 1400 is even worse, in case you're wondering.

The only sense in which the 1200 is "a real goalie helmet" is that it has been made to appear like one: key word, appear. For the time being, your son is far safer in his helmet and cage, provided that the helmet uses VN foam as opposed to EPP.

There are excellent options for reasonably priced junior masks out there - Hackva and Sportmask are the two that leap to mind - but you'll probably be paying more like $150-$300 for those, not $60. The nice thing about Hackva is when his head grows a little, you can mail it back to Gabe and have the shell re-fitted with thinner foam and not lose the certification or the lifetime warranty; in theory, this means you'll have a mask that will last him a good while.

Law Goalie pretty much said it all, but I would throw Eddy masks into consideration as well.

Depending on the size of your child's head, Eddy and and Sportmask both have a model made specifically for smaller heads (not simply a SR mask scaled down to JR sizing - the proportions and shape of the shell are different).

Another thing that doesn't get considered by many is the cage. The cages on those Itechs are very cheap, and very prone to rusting and breakage.

Also, Bauer has continued that mask line since acquiring Itech - same POS cheap mask, different branding.

I should have mentioned Eddy for sure. They do, however, make at least one mask (the Eclipse) that uses a Lexan shell; I'd avoid that one.

The cage is a good one to consider. Always look for stainless steel over carbon steel. Not only will stainless resist rust better, it's far, far stronger.

Thanks for the input. I figured I was wading into waters I knew nothing about. Sad thing is the gear whoring is now starting for youth goalie equipment :)

Greener pastures... :)

Since you're in Hamilton, I'd suggest making a trip to check out The Goalie Crease in Richmond Hill. They're extremely laid-back guys, but offer a zero-pressure and highly knowledgeable environment for goalies and parents.

Hackva and Sportmask are the two that leap to mind - but you'll probably be paying more like $150-$300 for those, not $60. The nice thing about Hackva is when his head grows a little, you can mail it back to Gabe and have the shell re-fitted with thinner foam and not lose the certification or the lifetime warranty; in theory, this means you'll have a mask that will last him a good while.

Hackva, I believe, has a lifetime warranty on its shell also. Spectacular masks.