Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ddbowdoin

New Pads

I just went to my local pure hockey and took a look at these... man, they look sweet graphic wise but in terms of the quality, seem real shady. I can't believe so much has gone overseas, but I guess thats why they are so cheap.

I just went to my local pure hockey and took a look at these... man, they look sweet graphic wise but in terms of the quality, seem real shady. I can't believe so much has gone overseas, but I guess thats why they are so cheap.

Yeah the 8600 series won't last more then 2 seasons of heavy use but the 8800 series should will last longer. The price difference is about $900 between the two.

Yeah the 8600 series won't last more then 2 seasons of heavy use but the 8800 series should will last longer. The price difference is about $900 between the two.

pretty much what I figured, damn... I'd like to avoid 2 grand

Have you looked into Smith pads at all? I am in the same boat as I was looking at the Velocity 7400/7500 series, but Law talked me into checking out Smiths pads. So I put myself on the wait list to try out a demo set which should arrive in 1-3 weeks. They are American made, will run about 1000 for the pads, 215 for blocker and 300 for catch IIRC. From what people have said, they seem to be build incredibly well and are more durable than the Vaughns. And you also get to customize the pads with the coloring of your choice using their customizer. I already have my colors picked out, I just want to try the pads first to make sure I like them.

You'll like them Danger, trust me. I've been in Smith pads for a couple of years now, and I'm loving them. No-doubt they are pro level pads, with exceptional construction and performance. Fully customizable and for less money than any other stock pro pad on the market. My new Smith glove will arrive in a couple of weeks, and I'm hoping to upgrade to a matching set of 5000s within the next year. Best pads on the market, in my opinion.

thanks for the insight... a little more than what I wanted to spend but if the gear will last a lot longer than chinese made vaughn pads it it worth the extra money

Smith's definitely worth checking into. The great part is that you can talk directly to Pete over the phone, and tell him what you're looking for in a pad. He can help you with any questions/customization issues. He offers the best customer service around, and the pads will last you a VERY long time. Mine are three years old now, and I cannot find a stitch out of place.

I'd have to concur to look at the offerings from Pete. There are a couple of other North American-based manufacturers that you might want to consider as well.

I have Pete's demo gloves in-house right now and plan to get them on the ice tonight. They are the only pieces from Pete that I haven't liked in the past and I wanted to give his latest set another try.

::m

I'd have to concur to look at the offerings from Pete. There are a couple of other North American-based manufacturers that you might want to consider as well.

I have Pete's demo gloves in-house right now and plan to get them on the ice tonight. They are the only pieces from Pete that I haven't liked in the past and I wanted to give his latest set another try.

::m

I'm going to have to try this demo program out, thats something that will definitely ease the process

Definitely go for it. Just call up Pete (his number is on www.smithhockey.com) and ask to be put on the list for the demo set (I'm not sure if its just 6000s, or 5000s and 6000s but I asked for the 6000s) and if you want both the pads and the gloves, mention that too. He'll ask for a CC, and thats it. The wait time for the gloves for me is about ~1 week while the pads are ~3 weeks. I can't wait to try them out.

Re: the other North American manufacturers, the one vision and I will both heartily recommend is Glenn Miller. He is a top-notch builder. His newest pads look like an interesting combination of an RBK-esque medial roll/gusset, but segmented at the breaks to allow for greater flexibility, and a more conventional HD/LD sandwich rather than the RBK EPP core with inflexible ankle.

I also very much admire Scott Battram's work. He's second to none in his workmanship, and may have the best durability record I've ever seen. His stuff is a little old-school in some respects, but part of that is that it wears like iron.

I would also suggest looking at Trevor McKenney and Jason Boddam, both of whom are less well-known but produce superb gear. McKenney has ghosted pro-level pads for Montreal, Flite, and others, and Boddam was for years the principal builder for Simmons (although that seems to have changed somewhat).

Yep - one of the nice things about Scott's traditionalism is that his retro pads are just gorgeous. He also has maybe the best collection of retro materials in the business, but some of them are *not* cheap.

just have to keep my eyes peeled for used gear... I can't drop 1400 bananas on pads

EDIT: LAW thanks man, you clearly know your shit. thanks for lending me advice, every dollar counts and I need to stretch it as far as I can. I may even post my own mod pictures to my c/a here, they are sad and probably dangerous but I just can't afford a new one.