Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Ballistik 52 Caliber

We set up a program with the manufacturers this past winter that will allow us to put product into selected members' hands to test. The reviews will be in a 1st-person blog-type format - the tester will submit an entry through-out use of the product.

The only person who can add to the thread is the user him/herself - so any questions posed to that any members will not appear, but will be addressed by the tester as the review progresses. It is not meant to be a discussion forum.

As far as becoming a tester goes, there are certain criteria that the manufacturers require. It could be physical; it could be playing level; it could be location. We try to fulfill that as well as find a tester who has been a worthwhile contributor to MSH's discussions. So, please, don't blow up my PM box; we will find you.

It could be physical, could be playing level, could be you own the negatives to some extremely incriminating photos of one of the admin's with Sharkie the mascot... either way, I am now in possession of one of the tester sticks.

PERSONAL BACKGROUND

I am currently 40. I had played from ages 6 to 18, and then picked the game back up as an adult around age 25-26 (and have been playing ever since). However, don't let the accumulation of years fool you: even as a kid I was more house/beer league when it comes to skill. Additionally, I have been cutting back on hockey a bit. While I am no longer playing 4 times per week for sure, I still play roughly twice per week year round. For those that care of such things, I am 6ft-1, 225 lbs, and typically play defense.

I am not quite the stick ho I used to be. I find that as I age (poorly) so has my hockey skills (questionable to begin with). I also find that I don't go thru sticks with the frequency I used to, perhaps because the only kind of shape I am devolving into might be best described as round.... but I digress. Previously I tried to use every stick I could get my hands on for the cheap. I would always opt for high end models on close out following the premiere season and was constantly on the look out for good deals (despite having 12-18 sticks in my closet at the time).

PRE-USE IMPRESSIONS & COMMENTS:

Speaking of the higher model sticks on the cheap: I used to equate Ballistik as entry to mid-price point type sticks. However, checking out the web, it appears Ballistik is taking a page from the Hyundai play book and starting to swim into deeper end of the pool: http://www.hockeygiant.com/bal52calstksr.html

My initial impression is that their efforts show. A buddy of mine has one of their older models. His is tank heavy, felt like a price point, and if it was tapered it sure didn't perform like it. Fastforward to what I have today, and I am far less skeptical than I was at the onset.

As other testers mentioned in their reviews (Lawgoalie and furlanitalia, for instance), two things immediately jump out at you when you check the stick out:

1. It is really amazingly light and well balanced. From what I understand, this is marketed at 415 grams, and it rings true (ok, well, only furlanitalia said this with Lawgoalie saying he didn't really notice it - but he does intentionally let people hit him with the puck, so....). Furlanitalia described it so well, I am going to quote him here: Balance/Flex: At first I thought this stick was going to float away on me. Similar to first picking up an original Stealth, the 52 has an amazingly light feel to it, yet feels comfortable in your hand and makes the weightlessness a positive experience
  2. The appearance is simple, clean, and overall quite pleasing. Its basic black with white and silver highlights really looks great, and is way better (IMMO) than the "HEY LOOK AT ME" type sticks that you see more and more often these days.

One other thing of "note" is that there is a reasonably deep chip in the middle of the shaft that appears to have occurred during shipping despite the layers and layers of bubble wrap. Near as I can tell, it won't affect anything. I merely note it here as a reference to myself so that I can remember to check on it down the line.

STICK CHOICE AND SPECS

I opted for the 110 stiff flex, the Iggie blade pattern, and the regular finish (no grip). I didn't notice it at first, but, like Lawgoalie, I noticed that there is not a lot of rocker to the bottom of the blade - its nearly flat (should be noted that Lawgoalie is testing a goalie stick, and I am testing a regular player stick, so not exactly apples to apples). Comparing it to my Mission Leopold2 pattern (also an Iginla clone), I can confirm that there is something to the appearance of the rocker being less pronounced. I don't imagine this to be a big deal though.

The shaft appears to be concave, the length is 60 inches without a plug (which is nice). Flex seems smooth and uniform in the upper 2/3's of the stick, behavior changing once you near the lower third. Speaking of which, near as I can tell from the "stand-still flex test", the stick appears to favor kicking just below the lower third of the stick. This is perhaps higher up than I would have anticipated, but not by much. I think this will reward folks who favor slapshots (not that I am an expert, mind you, however... I still stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so....). For some reason, the kick-point area reminds me of my One95 in nature (which has subsequently gone onto a better place - thus, i can't test side-by-side to confirm).

NEXT

I just received the stick so in the next updates I'll discuss my impressions after real game use. I merely wanted to record my initial impressions as I do believe in the adage that you never get a second chance at first impressions. After all, this is what oft leaves a stick behind at the store, unpurchased, after the "rack test"; so I felt it would be a good idea to discuss this now with that in mind.

Gotta chance to try the stick out in a game tonight.

The odd rocker to the blade turned out to be quite nice - perfect shape for when you're up right at face offs or quick snaps. Regardless, I had zero issues with it (in fact, rather liked it).

The finish to the stick was odd as I'd never felt one so smooth before - quite easy to slide your gloves up and down on. If you like a grippy stick, the regular finish won't be for you.

Wrist shots were difficult, but only because of the stiff flex. Seemed to have good snap back.

While puck feel was OK, slapshots were pingy. This could just be due to my moving from my last stick, a 95 flex, to a 110. Thus, I suspect this pingy is more imagined than real.

The flex was a bit harder to get used to. As I'd said before, its uniform until about the lower third of the stick. Unfortunately, that's right about where I put my hand for slap shots so it was just weird to get used to at first.

I did start getting into the stick's nuances towards the end of the game, but not enough to produce consistency. I did find that snapshots were quit good with little wind up and once I started making a conscious effort on where to put my hand for slapshots I was able to get a few ropes to the net going.

I'm hoping that with some time the "ping" feel will prove just to be a matter of having moved to the stiffer stick and that the I won't have to be as conscious on where to grip it after a few more games under my belt.

I've gotten a chance to use the stick 2 more times (so 3 in total).

I've really come to like the rocker to the blade - it is as if it were catered to my size or style.

As for the pingy-ness - either I'm noticing it less and less (so perhaps was more in my head than anything else).

Only real minor gripe I have is the way the stick flexes - so smooth and uniform in the upper 2/3s, but get your hand below some mystery line around the lower third and it becomes a led-filled concrete pipe. I don't say this because of the weight or balance, but because it becomes a rock. I'm sure I'll get used to this, don't get me wrong, but...

Overall no complaints on the stick, though. I still like the aesthetics (simple, clean look that still stands out), great weight and balance, etc. The more I get used to it, the better pop I get out of it. A few more weeks of play will tell for sure, but I think what I'd originally scoffed at as entry level or, at best, price point could really sway me to counting it along with the big dog, high dollar sticks deserving of good real estate on the rack.

Another game under the belt. This time I was playing against a fellow MSH'r and let him use the stick during warm-ups (he didn't care for the lie and flex for what it's worth - personal preference of course).

However, while he tried it out I went back to my Inno. When he returned it, I used the Ballistik again and noticed the vibration/ping again. Thus, the vibration didn't go away, I'd just gotten used to it. By the end of the game I got used to it again, but it is very noticeable when you first try it out. Regarding the flex, I wouldn't mind seeing if I can find a 100flex in a store just to see about the variable flex I've commented on before and see if it is more uniform throughout the stick.

Anyway, the stick and blade are still quite stiff, still looks good (no visible cracks), absolutely no issues. I really like the curve. Still not 100% convinced that the stick would be worth the $200+ price tag I've seen some places, but it is light years beyond their past products and think that if you can find it for $100-150? I'd already say its worth that much. Jury is still out when you start inching north of $150 so far as I am concerned (of course, I'm cheap and rarely pay full retail / over $100 for any stick these days - close outs and pro stock returns are just fine with me).

A few more games under the belt. During my last game, however, my shots started to feel.... off. However, the blade still seemed reasonably stiff (maybe not as stiff as it was originally, but didn't appear broken).

I replaced the tape for the first time and turns out I was wrong - the blade is cracked along the underside of the blade running about 3-4 inches split along the bottom. Oddly, the blade is still seemingly functional and somewhat rigid, however, its clear its broken. I'll use it in my next game, but will bring 2 back ups because I just don't see it lasting much longer.

Thus, I got about 5-6 weeks of use from it. I play between 2 to 3 times per week, missed some games due to a trip... thus I'd estimate I used the stick 14 times. 14 times by a 40 year old man who doesn't bring the heat like he used to? (ok, so never really brought any serious heat in the first place, but I'm old - let me remember it how I want thank you) Anyway, a stick with an MSRP north of $200 should last longer. I still think there's a lot of vibration in the stick as well and I am still not psyched about the way the actual stick flexes so smooth up to a point and then its a cement brick near the lower part of the stick.

All that being said, its light years ahead of their older products. I am again reminded of how Hyundai re-invented their product and now turn out something that ranks at the top of JD Powers rankings. I don't think Ballistik has quite made their full leap yet, but its clear with this twig they're headed in the right direction.

Ultimately, I feel the stick's worth should be around $100-130 (dropping slight from my prior post of $150 ceiling due to durability - sure, I might have a bad sample, and I've taken that into consideration, but only so to a degree). When someone snatches the over-runs on the cheap and put on the close out rack, I'd easily buy one if the price was under $100 just to see if the durability issue with the blade that I experienced was a fluke or not. I *REALLY* like the curve, its very light weight, and cosmetically it still looks good even after game use. However, at the $200+ price tag I see at Hockey Giant and other retailers? I think I'd just assume get a top of the line Easton, TPS, or Bauer.

Went to the Ballistik's website (http://www.combatsportsgroup.com/hockey/pg_Warranty.php) as I thought maybe they'd take a play from Hyundai's play book by offering a longer warranty to win folks over and set the product apart from that of the standard 30 days (note my use is about 10 days over; i.e 40 days - I got it for this trial for free so couldn't get a replacement anyway, but...). ANYWAY, short version is that it appears they only offer a 30 day warranty like the rest. I think they should reconsider this - even if it were a 45 day warranty, I think it'd speak volumes in the confidence of their product and the extra time might sway more to try it instead of one of the bigger players in the OPS market (Bauer, Easton, CCM, TPS, etc).

I squeezed one more game out of the stick, but I could tell it was spongy towards the end. I tried one more game yesterday but couldn't make it past warm ups as it was clear the blade was opening up too much due to the crack and the stick can no longer be used (practically speaking) for real game play.

I may try to convert it to a shaft so that the trial can live on, but eye balling it, the taper is pretty long so might lose too much length (plus I'm not sure how its constructed - this could make converting it impossible as well; well, short of flipping it but that'd be good for street hockey only so far as I am concerned).

I have converted the stick to a shaft. Turns out, it wasn't that hard at all. In fact, in comparison to what I've come to expect of the conversion process these days, it was really refreshingly easy.

The interesting part of the engineering of the stick once having a look inside is that it appears to be more of a true one piece stick (or, at least, it isn't a trumped up shaft/blade combo). One of the things that I did NOT like about the old CCM Vector sticks (110, 120) was that it was compression molded over a bladder or something and if you looked at the interior of the shaft (after cutting off the blade)the walls of the shaft varied in thickness. In some places, the wall were clearly thinner than others, and it was not smooth inside at all. I always felt that this would lead to uneven kick (just an opinion - not scientifically tested) or perhaps for it to be weaker (i.e., more prone to breakage) in some areas than others.

NOW, the Ballistic? *VERY* smooth, and uniform thickness inside. Here's the GREAT part: ABSOLUTELY NO CHISELING!!! Just cut up high enough to put the blade in! I probably could have made the shaft an inch or so longer, but I made a mistake when measuring as I cut it up. However, the bonus of my mistake is I feel it a pretty decent fit (maybe a hair too loose - maybe). I am able to slide a blade (that's already been used with no glue) into the shaft with no heat if I work on it, so figure with glue it will be a pretty good fit. Tape could be necessary (I'll know in a bit after trying it in a game or two to see if it comes loose), but again, folks results will vary based on where they cut. If I had a do over? I'd have started an inch lower or two lower and tried it that way (although, anyone who's converted OPS to shafts before will tell you if you've cut it so it's too tight a fit you risk splitting the shaft when you put the blade in).

The tapered interior of the shaft may make inserting a blade challenging as well if you cut it too low (where I cut it, it won't be a problem, but for those taller individuals who want to save as much of the length as possible...). The shaft is a little over 50 inches long, and obscenely light feeling. I think you'd want to get as light a blade as possible as not to have it feel blade heavy. A wood plug in the other end would likely make it balance out nicely as, again, very light shaft.

Regardless of all the long winded rhetoric above, I wanted to repeat how impressive the interior walls of the shaft are. VERY smooth. Very uniform in thickness, I didn't feel it looked surprisingly thin (like some do after you chisel it out), extremely easy to convert (just cut it high enough to fit the tapered hosel).

I'd like to point out I'm a huge stick whore and that I hold no allegiance to Ballistik; in fact, prior to this stick I always looked at Ballistik as baseline entry, price point products. My experience with the 52 has gone a long way to change my perception about Ballistik (and, keep in mind while I got this stick for free, it's not like I'm going to get another one so I have no allegiance to them or reason to blow smoke about it). That said, I wish I had tried to convert before picking up a new replacement stick, as I'd likely have been able to save myself some money on a new twig, and breath new life into the review (what the hell, it's why they gave out a free tester after all - and converting it to a shaft is likely what most of us cheap bastards would do in real life). I'd just forgotten it was in my sports closet until I was putting some things away (I'd left it in there - along with other reclamation projects in various stages of disrepair).

Due to having bought said new stick, it's unlikely I'll use the converted shaft soon. I will use it as my back up, however, so might try it in a few warm ups in the near future. I will post notes once I get a feel for how well it works out.