Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Easton S19 Z-Shock Helmet

I was one out of 100 media outlets to receive a helmet from Easton today - it is part of their PR campaign. However, on MSH, we obviously work on the tech aspects of product so this review will cover my on-ice experience with the product.

The helmet I received was a M, which is a bit smaller than what I would've liked, however, it does fit. Luckily I shave my head. :)

I wore the S9 when it came out and while it was a comfortable helmet, I was not too crazy about the ventilation. I was told that it was fixed but I didn't get that revised helmet, so I am looking forward to seeing if the 19 is better in that department.

We can sit there and talk about the weight of the helmet all day long, but so far what I am liking is the little things - things like the removable ear guards - great concept there.

I have installed my Oakley visor onto the helmet. Must admit - it wasn't easy. The rigidity of the helmet for one, as well as the smooth finish on the helmet was making it hard to anchor the spacer onto the temple. Once I got that figured out, it worked.

I skate with it on Friday - will speak on it then.

Obviously the biggest thing about a helmet is protection - but I'm not about to go into the glass head-first and see if I survive.

I wore the M - and it was a bit tight during the game but as I sweated it didn't feel as bad. No major pressure points other than slight pressure on my forehead.

Ventilation seems to be good, but like with other EPP helmets, sweat absorption can be a bit of a problem. I had to wipe my visor down quite a bit during the game - we'll see if it gets better when I have the L helmet on as sweat won't pool as much.

Wore the L last game -

While it is roomier than the M, a couple of things that I noticed -

The helmet has more volume, and I was constantly fiddling with it to get the right fit. If it were too loose, it would fall under my brow.

Other than that, everything feels good with it. I have yet to make a decision on which helmet I will keep.

Made my decision - I decided to keep the M.

The L just had too much volume up top and my head doesn't fill it. It would slide forward over my brow as I skated (or really made it tight).

The only drawback to the M is that since it is skin-tight on my head, it pools the sweat inside and if I shift it, it drops it on the visor. But that's what a towel is for.

Other than that, I don't have any complaints about the fit.