Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

100% Canadian Hockey

Overdrive blades

I have them. I've used 'em for a few years now and swear by them. I originally had them mounted on my Heaton 5 goalie skates. Then when I bought new Bauer 3000's the first thing I did was have overdrives installed before I ever used 'em.

This season, just as a test, when I bought my new 652 Super Tacks I played my first two games without them. THAT is when you really notice the difference they make. I'll never play without 'em again. Every time that I tried to go into a low crouch, kinda halfway between up and in the butterfly, one of my cowlings would hit the ice and my skate would slip out. It's funny. When you first install them you don't really even notice they are there. But once you've played on them for a while you REALLY notice when they aren't there.

Anyway in summary. They work on SLM cowlings, TUUK cowlings and Protectall II cowlings. They do work exceptionally well and as long as they are allowed in your league I HIGHLY recommend them!!!

If you have any specific questions let me know.

I am getting them so that when i am down in my butterfly i can shimmy with more speed .How well do they bite into the ice ?

Doesn't quite work that way...When you shuffle the OD blade never actually contacts the ice. Don't forget, the blade only extends approx 1/16 to 1/8 inch past the lower edge of the cowling.

You need to lift the knee of the leg you are going to push off with slightly off the ice to bring the overdrive back into contact with the ice in order to shuffle once down.

example: say you are in the butterfly and wish to move to the left. You would leave your left pad flat along the ice. You would lift your right knee a couple inches from the ice till the OD blade contacts the ice surface. Then you would push out slightly with your right leg. Repeat as necessary. Remember its better to make two or three small shifts than one big one as you open up the five hole that way. It's more of a slide move than a true shuffle.

Boy could a picture ever illustrate this point better than trying to describe it.. :P

As for bite....awesome. When you consider they support your full weight in a half crouch without and give....mathematically that's pretty impressive performance.

I've had Overdrive Blades for a bout a year now and really like the extra bite. If you haven't already checked out the web site it is very informative and entertaining. www.overdriveblade.com