Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chad Seibel

Factors in buying skates

I agree I've skated in conversions and nonconversions all last about the same time they lasted for me. I usually get new skates every year and a half or so. I just bought RX60's and dont wanna buy skates for at least 10 years now after that price lol.

1. Stock components v. performance. MSRP is useless for a skate with a PUMP boot which rocks but to which I will have to buy high performance bearings even if I'm dishing out $400+ I buy my skates from the ground up: wheels/bearings/chassis combination comes first, boot second because ultimately the boot can be baked or even replaced if the performance of the chassis/bearings and wheels is what's best for you.

2. Price point v. durability. I'm 27 and play rec/league once a week plus drop in irregularly. I don't need pro gear if I can get close enough performance for less just as long as it lasts and fits comfy. This is to be read again not as MSRP but as total financial cost of the product(s) that make up a skate during the lifespan of its core elments (ie: how soon before I need to completely replace wheels/bearings/chassis/boot).

3. Comfort. After 1 and 2, the better it feels, the more chances I'll buy it.

4. Looks. If they don't look like Madonna's latest dance boots, better. Other than that, 1, 2, and 3 take precedence. :D

I'll set myself a max price, and from there i'll tend to choose based on the following factors:

1. Fit - no point buying if i can't skate well, no matter how beautiful/cheap or durable

2. Performance & Durability - look at materials in the tongue and the eyelets to guage how long they may last, same with the heel construction, and a solid toe cap also. Also the outsole, i prefer a composite outsole because of my size for performance and durability

3. Price - Obviously i look for the best deal i can with the above factors in mind. No averse to converting ice boots if it's as economical and i'm not ugrading due to chassis problems

4. Will only use weight to rule a skate out if it is stupidly heavy, not really something to worry about these days.

Bonus criteria - if the stock wheels and bearings are high quality, may sway me one way if i'm stuck on a couple of models, but again, i'm happy to customise wheels after sale. Would be interesting to see skates sold without wheels, and then as part of the price have a choice of a couple of wheel packages, durometers etc...?

i'm happy to customise wheels after sale. Would be interesting to see skates sold without wheels, and then as part of the price have a choice of a couple of wheel packages, durometers etc...?

That would be really nice. I play on wood floors and only a few type of wheels holds up well, on this kind of surface, and all top end skate comes with sportcourt/icecourt wheels type.

1. Fit- I'm a barefoot guy here, so this comes first. I want comfort and no hot spots that can't be taken care of.

2. Price- not rich here, I tend to buy stuff lightly used, but still in good physical condition, the price goes down significantly, even with just a bit of use. Plus going barefoot tends to wear stuff out, so I'll be cheap.

3. Looks- not so important, wasn't it not so long ago that skates were a piece of equipment, and not a fashion statement?

Not many companies sell boot only. I am more interested in hearing what players think of the whole package. I really like reading the comments on this thread guys. Some of you guys really know your stuff.