Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chad Seibel

Factors in buying skates

I was having a discussion with a buddy of mine over the weekend, and wanted to see what the roller community felt about it. Here is the discussion. When you guys are buying a new pair of skates, what are the main factors you think about when buying them? What is most important? Price, brand, comfort, weight, looks, ?????? If a combination is important, then in what order?

I was having a discussion with a buddy of mine over the weekend, and wanted to see what the roller community felt about it. Here is the discussion. When you guys are buying a new pair of skates, what are the main factors you think about when buying them? What is most important? Price, brand, comfort, weight, looks, ?????? If a combination is important, then in what order?

1. chassis configuration(80-72 hilo)

2. comfort

3.price

4.weight

5. looks

I think you are missing some other really important factors, such as:

-Past Performance of Skate Brand's previous Models: If you owned past iterations of a company's skate, how did they perform? How well did the brand's skate hold up over the life of the skate? I think that sort of reliability is a huge factor in buying a new pair of skates. Take Mission's Wicked 1 debacle, I know a lot of people who got those skates and have now sworn off Mission for life. Or other guys at my rink who purchased RBK models only to have problems with them (chassis dents, ripping eyelets). Now most of those guys rely on putting a chassis on a Bauer Ice boot because they trust the brand and its performance and durability.

-Skate Performance: If Company X makes a skate with Gimmick Y that advertises it will make someone skate faster, turn sharper, be able to backhand toe drag a Dman, and make thembreakfast in the morning, Consumer A will pay X for a skate that might make them a better player. I'll be honest I've converted the Hummr chassis onto a few different Bauer boots (one75 and vapor XXXX) and the skates performed well, but for some reason I always felt faster and better performance with a Tour boot (Code1 and Tabu) and the hummr chassis. If I feel like one brand improves my game over the other, that brand is probably getting my sale. I'd put a very high value in the performance sector when purchasing a skate.

-Chassis/Wheel Combo: Some people love Hi-lo, some love Sprung, for some its revision, for others it Rinkrat. For me its a Hummr chassis with the new addiction wheels. I'm not going to try another Hi-lo, Sprung, or revision chassis because I think the Hummr chassis is the best one I've used. Same goes for wheels, the new Addictions are pricey but I don't think I've skated on a better wheel. Rinkrat always chunked, Revisions were OK but I felt slow in them, if I'm gonna buy a skate I'm probably going to lean towards the one with the Labeda wheels and Hummr frame, this goes back to my first issue of past brands performance. Labeda has a good track record in my opinion so I stick with them.

The roller hockey world of skate buying is an interesting market, you have some people who are brand specific and are going to buy the stock skates by Mission, RBK. or maybe even whatever is popular or available at their local outlet/market. Then you have some people who are chassis/wheel oriented, I've seen guys who swear by their flat all 72mm chassis and just keep putting it on different ice boots.

It's tough to nail down factors in a standard order b/c one area may make up for what another area lacks. I'm skating on the Tabu now, a lot people think its the ugliest skate ever and I do have a few problem areas in the boot as far comfort is concerned, but for me they perform so damn well, have the hummr frame, addiction wheel, and fit pretty well that its the skate of choice for me right now. I guess I would say performance above all else is the deciding factor for me.

I think The_Game touched on this a little, but I'd add stock wheels and bearings to that list as well. Having skates that come with hardware that you already like can save close to $100.

I think price is more reflective of what you're willing to sacrifice as opposed to what you look for in a product. If you're comparing a $400 skate to a $300 skate, your clearly giving up something for the money. I think that's why it's important for companies to have a few different price points.

Also, I think it would be interesting if people would post their ages and competition level along with their lists. Since we're doing some basic market research, it would be helpful to see what demographic people are coming from (I'm 29, and just play adult leagues, for what it's worth).

My list:

1. Comfort / Fit

2. Durabiltiy / Reputation / user reviews

3. Stock hardware

4. Price

5. Past experiences with company

99. Weight (unless it's somehow obscenely heavy)

100. Looks / marketing / player endorsements

1) Comfort

2) Performance/technology - things like fully thermable, moister wicking liner, tongue, etc.

3) Durability – just as important to me as performance, if the skate out performs every other skate but only lasts two months what good does that do me?

4) Frame setup

5) Price

6) Weight

7) Brand

8) Looks

Chad, asking around here I think you're going to get the more informed consumer since MSH is very very good at dispelling myths and giving people better information. Comfort/Fit is/should be the top concern as a boot with the right fit can be made a little heavier with little to no noticeable difference to the skater. Durability and price are neck in neck at second for me personally, though with the last couple years of this economy a lot of people might put price ahead. Looks are so subjective that you're never going to please 100% off the people, as long as you have a signature look in this industry you're good. The weight factor is that touchy subject that's been brought up time and time again, a lot of people will go for super lightweight, but a boot can only be made so light before it just collapses under normal use.

If I were to use the question here to critique the current line, say the Tabu, it would go:

Signature look - Good, very gaudy but definitely distinct. I don't think it matters how toned up or down you make it, as long as you keep a uniquely identifiable look you're doing it right.

Price/Value - Good, it's a solid package for the price. Great wheels, solid bearings, good chassis. I think the current line has been done well with having appropriate features for each pricepoint

Weight - Good, nothing ground breaking but nowhere close to the older lines from Beemer and before. A healthy weight is not a bad thing if the boot keeps going season in and out

Fit - better than some prior models, but still the wrong fit for me. A more formed last the hug around the ankle/heel area and lock it in would be a nice change, again a skate that fits better and closer to the foot can have a little extra weight with little detriment. The one area of fit I think you guys are lagging a little bit on is the tongue. Going back to a more felt tongue like the old Fishbones would be a marked improvement, and as Mission and Reebok/CCM have already shown it's the market trending back to that older, proven style.

Durability - Since I don't use them, I can't personally speak to it. They seem to be holding up for people in the area though, and playing out of the Tour Arena I've seen more than a couple pairs. The big area of concern is plenty of outsole separations on other models from the previous few years.

Brand - Tour is an established brand name with a loyal following. If the fit was there for me personally I'd consider Tour as that's what I used throughout HS. The brand name can work against you though as others mentioned with Mission and the Wicked series of skates, same thing with Tour and the outsole separations for a few people I know.

Chassis config - Hummer, you either like it or you don't. Since the boot itself and mounting plates on the chassis determine pitch, I see nothing wrong with the all 80 setup as a concept. I tried wearing some Beemers a few years back and in addition to the fit just not being right, I felt like I was back on my heels more which is uncomfortable coming from Hi-Lo/Tri-Di setups.

Again though, I'm just one opinion and certainly not a knock against Tour as a company. I got to meet Walt two summers ago and he definitely improved my already good opinion of the company. The product just doesn't work for me and a few people I know, but it does for loads of others.

Good discussion here so far guys. You have given me some food for thought so I thought I would come back with a little. I definitely think that there are a few different kinds of buyers out there and sdcopp and the_game touched on a few of them. I think there are definite price people out there who will buy at the lowest price for a numbers of good reasons and some not so good. There are people out there who just prefer brand and frankly, I, personally think that is a little silly. To me, you are buying into their marketing game. For example go to the local rink and check out some of the beginners. They are using $100 skates, a $30 PIAS helmet that is used, so they are not protecting their head, and their feet are hurting, but they went out and got that "Brand X" stick that they saw on TV for $200. Does that make sense?

My input here is that I think price is a factor for sure. I think you will know your price when you go to the store, then you will have to decide on a few factors. This is a key area for me with buyers. I would hope that they would go to a store with good selection and try on a couple different brands and then choose from the value of the skates. First off, they should be comfortable and fit right. Then look at the features and see what you are buying.

Making educated decisions at the store will help you enjoy the game more and do better at the same time. I guess part of my problem is that I see people buying into marketing way too much and not getting the proper fit and comfort, so some of those players leave the game and that is a tragedy.

What do you think?

A lot of people (especially here in Oz) would splurge $$$ just to get the newest stick, yet have the same smelly crappy gloves and skates for the last 4-5 years. I've seen teenagers who have the latest stick break them in the first shift, yet arent fazed about asking mom and dad to get them a new one.

I would think that price does play a part, but the main issue I would have is the comfort and fit. I've gone thru about a dozen or so skates in the last 5 years (some not even hitting the rink) because the LHS here charges a HUGE mark up on gear. I've had to buy online, ebay but mainly from MSH to try the different brands and fit. I was lucky enough that I could recoup most of the costs by onselling the gear, but its been a huge hassle. Imagine having 5 pairs of skates in the garage that DONT fit, and taking up to a year to clear most of them.

I've recently been able to have someone have a look at my feet, and suggest one or two models that would work. I wish I could have met them 4-5 years back, and save me a lot of time and effort trying to get skates that fit.

During the actual playing of the game, you would want everything to synch together... skating with no feet pain, using gear that doesnt keep sliding or slipping off. As I mentioned, I found it difficult to get skates to fit, and have always kept trying to focus on playing rather than worrying that my feet are going to fall asleep...

Fit is the single most important thing to me. I'm currently in Mission Boss skates because they fit my foot perfectly. They are ugly as sin, the chassis can be swapped if I don't like it, wheels and bearings are easily changed (and I have quite a stockpile of the latter) but finding that fit was a diamond in the rough. The only other things that matter to me is stiffness and protection, I took a shot off a pair of mid-level skates and broke a bone in my foot and have swore off anything but the top level skates since then.

1. Comfort/Fit

2. Weight

3. Chassis

4. Price

5. Looks

When I say chassis I should just put mission skates because I've been with them a long time, But as soon as I have the money I'm moving to converted X40s with a mission chassis.

While I totally agree that people know the price they can and are willing to pay when they step foot in the store, branding and marketing are hugely important tools as well. Some of us choose the same brands year in and year out because it is the best fit for us. Others who are newer to the game rarely get to buy in a complete vaccuum, there's always someone they know or something they read that helps steer them to particular products.

The other item you put up was a store with good selection. Even in good markets right now, the stores have felt the belt tightening and really aren't going much out of their way to stock anything unknown or slow to sell so selection stays quite limited. You're only as good as your previous product line unfortunately. Have a bad line come out and you really need that marketing hype to dissuade people from thinking about prior product mishaps.

The other issue at the store is who is doing the selling? I've seen the unfortunate results of hiring younger players to sell gear and not understand that their preference is not right for everyone's needs. Despite what I wear and use if someone asks me about anything I use I will tell them it was the best option for my wants/needs, but I would be happy to hit up a store or two to make sure the clerks fit them correctly or direct them to a store where I know the shop will fit and sell to them appropriately. Again though, there's a lot of people who don't have much in local options so an internet review or the buddy trying to get them to play is the basis of their decision and Inline Warehouse, Hockey Monkey and Hockey Giant become their stores of choice. IW to their huge credit has the customer in mind with free return shipping on skates for fit purposes, and a staff that can speak to playing with the products.

I always look for higher end models that are a year or 2 old first, before i look for any brand new skates that just hit the shelves.

I only look for Price, with looks being a helping factor. I dont mean to sound cocky, but I know how to skate pretty well, so spending $300+ on a pair of skates that are 40 grams lighter doesnt add up. Last years $300 mission soldiers for $129 on clerance is all i need.

I wish I felt the same way about sticks! <_<

I always look for higher end models that are a year or 2 old first, before i look for any brand new skates that just hit the shelves.

I only look for Price, with looks being a helping factor. I dont mean to sound cocky, but I know how to skate pretty well, so spending $300+ on a pair of skates that are 40 grams lighter doesnt add up. Last years $300 mission soldiers for $129 on clerance is all i need.

I wish I felt the same way about sticks! <_<

TheEdge27 makes a very good point here. Year after year, Mission puts out a new skate that eventually brings down the cost of last years model skate and sort of cannibalizes their newest model. As a consumer its a great deal. (if the skate fits you, is what you are looking for, etc.) You get a top of the line skate at a reduced cost, plus the skate has been out long enough that it has either passes or fails the litmus test of how long its going to hold up or perform. Maybe not the smartest way to run a business, but certainly a great advantage to the consumer. I remember getting the original Wicked Light skates on a great deal like this back in the day. Great skate, great reviews, great price, it all worked out.

Then I remember when the Mission Vibe chassis was coming out and I had to have them, HUGE mistake. Granted the marketing worked on me, but the technology didn't and that has turned me off of Mission skates since. When Tour first released the Hummr chassis I was interested in trying them but not at top of the line pricing. I cleaned out the closet and headed down to a Play it again sports and picked up a pair of the Code Reds and fell in love with the all 80 set up. Having used Tour in the past with 962s and the G80s, I was prepared to shell out the money for the Code 1s. I actually got the Code 1s through Walt at Tour and with the performance, fit, and customer service of Walt, I'm faithful to Tour as a brand. (Labeda too I guess with the Hummr and wheels)

I did venture back to Mission and tried the Wicked 1 skate on a closeout deal. Despite reading how stiff and problematic they were, the price was good and I figured if the skate was in the mold of the Original Wicked Light I'd have success with them. The Wicked 1 performed great, if you were looking for a mid-evil torture device. I tried everything, baking, rebaking, punching out, etc. the boot still killed. When contacting mission to see if there was any recourse they basically blew me off, which as a customer pretty much put a nail in the coffin of me ever trying their skates again.

Keep in mind too, that at the end of the day, we're all hockey players (a little crazy) and I think a lot of us tend to stick with what works (either physically or in a lot of cases mentally). I think that serves as a pretty big factor too when buying a new pair of skates or gear in general.

Keep in mind too, that at the end of the day, we're all hockey players (a little crazy) and I think a lot of us tend to stick with what works (either physically or in a lot of cases mentally). I think that serves as a pretty big factor too when buying a new pair of skates or gear in general.

Exactly. Ive never had any problems with Mission skates (ive had about 4 pairs), so getting a pair at less than half price is just another reason to buy them. I get satisfaction in outplaying people who go out and buy the new stuff the day it comes out.

I first establish a price range that I am willing to pay

from there its

1. comfort/fit

2. durability/reputation

3.past experience(if any) with the company

4. looks

Chassis does not matter to me as I will be replacing it with a sprung chassis anyway (but getting a skate with all 80mm helps :D )

Well... I'm new to inline stuff. The first thing I wanted was something that was as close to possible for replicating the feel of ice. My reading here and asking others led me to settle on a Sprung chassis. Then next I wanted to stick with what I use on the ice... a Graf or something as close to that as possible. So I found a set that fit the bill... Missions with Sprung A7's on them. I guess I'd go for functionality first along with proper fit, and then make sure they were reasonably durable. Next up would be balancing cost against what was available in terms of style/look. Also I wanted to make sure spare parts are available for the chassis just in case.

I personally have never felt weight was an issue, no matter how heavy it felt in hand, when it is on my feet and I'm skating, I don't notice it. I'd rather have a more comfortable and durrable boot that weighs more and lasts several years, than something that can defy gravity and falls apart in 6 months.

So I have only seen where weight is a deciding factor in a few comments. When you guys are purchasing skates, do you like the feel of a light weight skate?

Lighter to a point, I think. If it feels too light it could easily feel fragile or cheap. And a few grams isn't going to make a difference when they're on your feet.

1) Comfort - By far the most important thing in my eyes. I skate barefoot and the liner is one of the first thing I look at

2) Durability - I want a skate that is going to perform at a top level for a while (around a year), I had a pair of Bosses and they went soft in 4 months. So I went in a different direction when replacing them

3) Price - I only look at top tier skates because of how often I skate but there's a point where I say "holy shit" and back off (RX60s)

4) a. Weight

b. Frame Setup - I've skated in HiLo, Vanguard and Hummr. Honestly don't prefer one over the other..

c. Looks - It doesn't matter to me how they look if they perform well. Hence why I'm in Tabu's ;)