Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shotty

Seeking Advice on rollerblades

this doesn't exactly pertain to roller hockey, but i want to ask anyway.

my neighbor challenged me to a rollerblade race (it started off as a sprint and has now turned into a 10k endurance race). i havent been on rollerblades in years, so i need some experience on what to look for. i take challenged pretty seriously, and so i'm looking for the best competitive/mechanical advantages here.

obviously i'll need a harder compound wheel, but i want high spin, grip and comfort. for those of you from vancouver, the race starts under the cambie street bridge, goes through the olympic village and around the entire sea wall, then back to the start/finish line at the bridge. for those unfamiliar, the road surface changes a few times.

any help is much appreciated.

As far as equipment goes I'm guessing you're not using speed skates, but those would be ideal. Next best is the largest wheels your chassis can fit. Then find a good set of ceramic bearings.

Ultimately, the most important factor in helping you win will be to ensure you maximize efficiency in your stride. Push off with the balls of your feet, swing your arms, bend your knees, stay low and glide. You could watch some speed skating clips of Apollo Onho to study proper technique.

Let us know how it goes!

If I were you I would get out and do a little glide board training to work on technique. There are several you tube clips of former olympic gold medalist and inline covert Derrick Para working on a glide board. being in Vancouver you could probably even get in for a little speed skating training before your race if you have the time.

How strong are your ankles? Speed skates are ideal for this sought of thing, although if your ankles aren't the best try and find a high-cut boot to give you some support.

I'm thinking something such as this or this.

Let us know how the race goes!

ended up buying K2 radical 90.

90mm wheels, ceramic bearings, relatively low cut boot. went for a skate yesterday, did half the "course" and I was pretty impressed not only with the skates but my self as well. my biggest focus will be maximizing stride efficiency. I found myself slipping a little bit when I got up to higher speeds, because I was pushing off a little to late. I also have to keep reminding myself that they are not hockey skates and I am not on ice.