Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scotty

What are the better current wheels?

alright, so this is just to update my previous review...

eschelon apocolypse - O.M.G. i hate using acronyms, but these wheels deserve it. i love these wheels. they grip excellently on sharp turns thanks to that pink part of the inside of the wheel. they also have some life when it comes down to speed and agility. they felt like labeda addictions in that matter. they haven't chunked out or split, it just looks like they're slowwwwwly wearing away.

right now, i'm skating with the two front wheels as the apocolypse's, and the two back wheels are addictions. and i must say, i love this combination. i'm gonna switch out the apocolypse's for some labeda d3's once the apoco.'s wear out.

a note on the addictions - these wheels are great, despite the chunking out. the reason most people DON'T have this problem is because the wheels these come stock on (tour tabu's) are all 80 mm's. the smaller the wheel gets, the more chunking out will happen, thanks to the inner part of the wheel being TOO large for the outer part, hence it splitting from the middle out. i haven't had a single problem with the 80 mm addictions, but the 76's chunked out, and the 72 mm were obliterated quickly. so if you NEED to have these wheels, i'd suggest going with the 80mm ones only, and mix them with other wheels if you have a hi-lo or tri-di chassis.

this is what i dont understand. i skate on ALL (ALL) 72mm. and i never get chunking out or splitting UNLESS its those really crappy green dynasty wheels. and second, the way the eschelon wheel is set up you cant flip them to get even wear on both sides of the wheel? when i rotate the wheels on the right skate go on the left skate in reverse order. with eschelons the pink part would wind up on the outside?

i dunno man. of i wanted wheels to slowly wear away (pizza cutters) i would have stayed outside.

(and i can skate, and at a high level. so im harsh on my wheels)

this is what i dont understand. i skate on ALL (ALL) 72mm. and i never get chunking out or splitting UNLESS its those really crappy green dynasty wheels. and second, the way the eschelon wheel is set up you cant flip them to get even wear on both sides of the wheel? when i rotate the wheels on the right skate go on the left skate in reverse order. with eschelons the pink part would wind up on the outside?

i dunno man. of i wanted wheels to slowly wear away (pizza cutters) i would have stayed outside.

(and i can skate, and at a high level. so im harsh on my wheels)

are you saying that you use ALL 72mm addictions and haven't had any chunking? or you wouldn't use them because they're pizza cutters?

i love the addictions, but at $14 a wheel, most can't afford them, unless you get a fatty endorsement or are on a team which gets labeda's handed to them. i've never had a problem with the green dynasty's (d3). although, a lot of people i know have, after simply taking a puck to the skate.

as for the eschelon's, this is true about the rotating, but does it REALLY matter if you have the pink on the outside? i don't think so. but then again, i've never rotated these wheels, and probably won't, i'll just get new one's.

are you saying that you use ALL 72mm addictions and haven't had any chunking? or you wouldn't use them because they're pizza cutters?

i love the addictions, but at $14 a wheel, most can't afford them, unless you get a fatty endorsement or are on a team which gets labeda's handed to them. i've never had a problem with the green dynasty's (d3). although, a lot of people i know have, after simply taking a puck to the skate.

as for the eschelon's, this is true about the rotating, but does it REALLY matter if you have the pink on the outside? i don't think so. but then again, i've never rotated these wheels, and probably won't, i'll just get new one's.

i skate on all 72s and have never had any chunking. i wont pay to try these eschelon wheels because i dont think i can rotate them, and think theyll eventually wear down (like pizza cutters). i get addictions for 10 bucks a wheel. but have paid the full price for them. its either get wheels once every 6 weeks..... or buy addictions and have them last 3-4 months. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....?

i skate on all 72s and have never had any chunking. i wont pay to try these eschelon wheels because i dont think i can rotate them, and think theyll eventually wear down (like pizza cutters). i get addictions for 10 bucks a wheel. but have paid the full price for them. its either get wheels once every 6 weeks..... or buy addictions and have them last 3-4 months. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....?

I'll take that $10 addiction deal any day.but I would also take a price cut deal on the eschelon wheels also. has anyone noticed that in the winter months on a cold surface wheels dont grip as well,but in the summer months you seem to get a better grip from your wheel.any thoughts on changing durometers for the surface conditions?

I'll take that $10 addiction deal any day.but I would also take a price cut deal on the eschelon wheels also. has anyone noticed that in the winter months on a cold surface wheels dont grip as well,but in the summer months you seem to get a better grip from your wheel.any thoughts on changing durometers for the surface conditions?

well duh. i always use a soft wheel. but the addictions on a 55 degree sat morning are still pretty grippy.

i'm surprised you skate on 72s. how tall are you and how much do you weigh? just curious. and why do you skate on 72s? i havent decided if i like all 80s or all 76s best on my sprungs. i have size 9.5 (old mission size) skates and a7s. i wish the wheelbase was slight shorter on my skates. i know the wheel size has nothing to do with the wheelbase but the smaller wheels seem to feel a little better but arent as fast in straight line and dont have as much grip.

i'm surprised you skate on 72s. how tall are you and how much do you weigh? just curious. and why do you skate on 72s? i havent decided if i like all 80s or all 76s best on my sprungs. i have size 9.5 (old mission size) skates and a7s. i wish the wheelbase was slight shorter on my skates. i know the wheel size has nothing to do with the wheelbase but the smaller wheels seem to feel a little better but arent as fast in straight line and dont have as much grip.

im 5'10" 160lbs. i wear a size 7.0R easton s15 with a hummer on it. problem is that theyre isnt enough on the bottom of the boot to hollow out to make room for 76's which come standard on a small hummer chassis. ive always been slow so im not concerned about straight away speed. but i can still keep up, and i like being lower and more stable. i play roller like i used to play ice. physical.

I'm totally new to wheel info/setups so maybe someone can offer me some direction. I skate on painted asphalt (outdoor), on a cheapo pair of XVR Lite's. I'm fairly cautious when I skate roller, as I'm kind of used to the wheels slipping. I'm about 5'8/5'9 185/190lbs, but skate pretty hard on my edges (5/8" sharpen) when on ice.

I want a nice grippy wheel that will allow me not to hold back from worry of slipping, but speedy too. Basically, when it comes to speed the limit is sky high, but I want them to just be grippy enough to not worry going hard into turns. I'm sure anything will be better than the stock wheels I'm rolling on now, but a post couldn't hurt.

Edit: I guess I should mention the wheels will be going in A6 Sprungs and my 7D Vapor XIX after I convert them. The XVR's will be my skates to commute to the rink/street hockey)