Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiSeOnFiRe

Ankle/lace-bite problem

So I've had my skates for over a year now and I'm just getting this problem. Last week I suited up for a game and had some crazy pain on the front of my right ankle. I know the tongues on these skates are supposed to prevent lace-bite but it hasnt really worked for the last week or so. Has this happened to anyone else? Furthermore, started tying the top 3 laces looser, and now im hardly tying them at all. Last night, I rolled my ankle in my skates during a game. Had no idea you could even roll an ankle in a boot. Now im starting to worry I might do some real damage to my ankles if I can't tie my skates tight enough. So at the moment Im feeling stuck between a rock and a hard place. Anyone got suggestions?

Try changing you insoles to thinner ones if you can find them, that will give your skate more volume and help to eliminate lace bite. Also, you could always change the tongue on the skate or get a bite pad.

They are thicker than most stock insoles. Replacing the tongue or the skates is the only way to "solve" the problem and replacing the tongue is just temporary. The root of the problem is the lack of depth in that part of the boot and the stiffness of the skate. There are a lot of topics on this in the ice hockey sections, you might want to look into those topics as there are a lot of temporary fixes suggested. Everything from Bunga pads to inserts.

Neither is a true solution, just temporary fixes that don't address the root cause of the problem.

Neither is a true solution, just temporary fixes that don't address the root cause of the problem.

Yea, I think a temporary fix is what I need at the moment though. Got a game friday sunday monday and wed. After the summer seasons are over Ill start looking at some new skates. Unfortunately, on Long Island finding a place that knows their stuff to find the right skate for your foot is pretty hard.

To temporarily relieve the pain as you look for new skates, etc you could use koozies. Just cut the bottom out, and then cut it in half. I have also seen people use mouse pads.

Ended up grabbing a Bunga pad. Worked like a charm. Felt no pain and I was able to lace up my skates properly. Although I finally stopped the poor habit of wrapping my laces around the back of my skates so I have to tape them down. Hopefully getting into Ice during the winter fall-winter so Ill have some time to get some skates.