Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jcp2

Choosing a new (to me) trapper

I have a used Vaughn Velocity 3 Pro Spec trapper that is okay, but because I have shorter fingers, the thumb doesn't feel quite right. It feels stretched out too much and I'm not getting a lot of power in closing the glove. I went to Perani's Livonia and spent a good deal of time trying on all the different gloves they had there. They had Reebok, Bauer, Vaughn, Warrior, Brian's, and McKenney brands. I really liked the Brian's (Zero G, Focus, ZX2) and the McKenney Instincts. I also liked the Bauers (RX8, One80). None of the Reeboks, Vaughns, or Warrior gloves were comfortable on my hand. Aside from trying on every glove I see, is there a common thread to what I like and what I don't like? What about the other brands that weren't represented in the store? I'm completely new to the position, so the lingo at GSBB means very little to me. Ebay and Craiglist could be my friend, if only I knew what to look for.

To be honest, the 'lingo' at GSBB is rarely meaningful or coherent; as long as you confine your research to the very small number of posters who clearly know what they're talking about, it's a very helpful site.

Brian's gloves are very much their own animal; they don't feel much like anything else on the market. If you have a strong preference for them, pretty much any of their gloves will feel similar. The only real oddball was the old and rare A-Maxx; I dearly loved it, and I hate Brian's gloves as a rule.

If you like the new Bauer gloves, older high-end Itechs will probably work just as well: the 9.8, 11.8, 12.8, etc, maybe even the 7.8, which is a mid-level glove but quite a decent one. All the new Bauer gloves (and pads, and all the other goalie protective) are being made by the factory that used to build for Itech (JRZ in Quebec). One of the nice things about JRZ is that they always tag their gear, even if it's under another company's brand; if a glove has a JRZ tag or embroidery, you'll probably like it. You will probably not like older Bauer gloves, like the Reactor, Supreme or Vapor, which were not made by JRZ.

All that aside, most of the gloves you liked are NOT considered to be similar. The Bauer Reflex (RX) series and the One-series are very different gloves to an experienced hand, as are many of the Brian's gloves. That doesn't mean you're 'wrong' in any way, shape or form -- it just means that you don't have (or don't pretend to have, oft a la GSBB) a very personal taste in gloves. The things you respond to seem to have more to do with general feel and construction than the angle or type of break, or other more specific concerns.

Most such concerns are, I fear, pretty vapid. By all accounts, by having a great taste for TPS Bionics, I should like the Eagle Sentry, the Itech 9.8 Prodigy, the Vaughn T5500, and a few other gloves widely considered similar, and strongly prefer them to some other TPS gloves. This is not so: I really didn't like the Sentry, sort of liked the 9.8, and didn't much like the T5500. On the other hand (well, not literally) I quite enjoyed the TPS Summit, which most people will try to tell you isn't anything like a Bionic. Perhaps, but the more reasonable explanation is that the things I liked about the Bionic and the Summit were not so obvious.

In short, confine your search for Brian's and/or Itech/newer Bauer gloves, and you'll probably be happy.

The one major caveat with buying used is that gloves *can* be broken in so that they feel nothing at all like their original retail state. It depends on the construction of the glove. If you see a picture of the palm of the glove, and it looks warped, twisted, or otherwise deformed, be a little wary.

I ended up getting a Nike Bauer One75 on closeout. I've actually caught pucks with this in a game situation. The Vaughn just ended up being a blocker with a net, lots of pop-outs with the occasional snag deep in the pocket. I'll keep an eye out for the Itech's.

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would add my question here.

Does anyone have any feedback on the TPS R10 Trapper?

I read some reviews on it, and it sounds like it's very stiff and is not made to close completely. My current glove is a Reebok P2 Intermediate and a NB One95. I'm looking for a glove that has pro-level protection and is more open in it's resting position than my two current gloves, like the R10, however if it's impossible to close, I don't think I will like it.

Edit: The R10 I was looking was sold, so I guess I will expand this question. What are some gloves that stay open when they are in resting (hand held up, waiting for the puck) and close well?

Thanks

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would add my question here.

Does anyone have any feedback on the TPS R10 Trapper?

I read some reviews on it, and it sounds like it's very stiff and is not made to close completely. My current glove is a Reebok P2 Intermediate and a NB One95. I'm looking for a glove that has pro-level protection and is more open in it's resting position than my two current gloves, like the R10, however if it's impossible to close, I don't think I will like it.

Edit: The R10 I was looking was sold, so I guess I will expand this question. What are some gloves that stay open when they are in resting (hand held up, waiting for the puck) and close well?

Thanks

I want some quality gloves.. can i get them in around $25