Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Neal

A Vision Ahead AVH SR-1

A Vision Ahead AVH SR-1

This mask isn't as common, I have the only one I've seen and I've never seen one for sale in a LHS, so for more information see the company's website: Hockeyfaceshields.com

The mask combines a lexan shield with a black wire cage.

I've worn this mask for 15 games now. It is on my main helmet and is used almost exclusively - 99% of the time.

Fit:

A Vision Ahead only offers one size for senior masks. I have a hard time finding masks large enough for my big head, so I was dubious it would fit well. The mask is only just large enough but it works. The fact it fits me, when a large Bauer 8500 is just big enough and several large iTech models are too small makes me wonder how this would fit a smaller head.

6/10 - for lack of sizing options.

Protection

I took a puck to the shield in my first game. I remained as beautify as I was before the game and the mask survived with only a rubber residue or scuff that buffed out easily with a microfiber cloth. I've been skating with some beginners who are less aware of their sticks and been clunked several times without injury or damage to the cage.

10/10

Weight

This cage is not light. It is noticeably heavier than my previous Bauer 8500.

7/10

Durability

The shield remains clear and almost scratch free after 15 games and several impacts. The cage is like new. The straps and chin cup are like new as well.

10/10

Vision

I really prefer the vision of this combo. It is nearly as good as wearing a shield alone and much better than my 8500.

10/10

Fog Resistance

The manufacturer claims there is no need for fog resistant sprays or creams. They recommend cleaning with 409 and a wet sponge. I've only had fogging once and it was 95 and 75% humidity outdoors and inside the rink it was 75 and the humidity was insane. Everybody's water bottles were sitting in pools of condensation.

9/10

Conclusion

The price is inline with other high end masks. The fit works for me, but I'm dubious about more average sized heads. The visibility, durability and fog resistance are excellent and the protection has been perfect so far. Given that the manufacturer offers a full refund if it doesn't fit this mask is definitely worth trying if you are looking for cage protection with visibility similar to a shield.