Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal

Widowmaker mask

The goalie on my beer league team bought a new mask this summer. I know nothing about goalie masks, but he has made comments about finding articles online that call his mask the widow maker. Does that sound familiar to anyone? Can anyone identify the mask based on that comment? Is his mask as unsafe as that name sounds?

The goalie on my beer league team bought a new mask this summer. I know nothing about goalie masks, but he has made comments about finding articles online that call his mask the widow maker. Does that sound familiar to anyone? Can anyone identify the mask based on that comment? Is his mask as unsafe as that name sounds?

I thought the phrase applied to any cheap, pricepoint mask. And yeah, it's as unsafe as the nickname implies.

THat should be one of the most important pieces of goalie equipment... look around online on at some goalie forums. Am sure you could pick up a good to fantastic mask for a portion of the retail price.

The itech 1000/2100 series all fall into this category. There are a couple of other companies whose models escape me at the moment could also be grouped into this category.

::m

Thanks for all the replies. I know the mask is an Itech, but it doesn't have a design on it and is simply a glossy black, so I'm not sure if it is a 1000 or 2100. I'll see if I can find out. Are there identifying marks?

If I can confirm that is of the 1000 or 2100 series, what are the precise flaws with it? Is there something about the construction or materials that I can point to and say that isn't safe?

If I can convince him (or maybe his mom/girlfriend) that he needs a new mask, what models are reasonably priced but safe enough for B level rec hockey? What price range for a good condition used mask would he be looking at?

Thanks for all the replies. I know the mask is an Itech, but it doesn't have a design on it and is simply a glossy black, so I'm not sure if it is a 1000 or 2100. I'll see if I can find out. Are there identifying marks?

If I can confirm that is of the 1000 or 2100 series, what are the precise flaws with it? Is there something about the construction or materials that I can point to and say that isn't safe?

If I can convince him (or maybe his mom/girlfriend) that he needs a new mask, what models are reasonably priced but safe enough for B level rec hockey? What price range for a good condition used mask would he be looking at?

The stories are all anecdotal but the gist is the construction of a cheap entry-level goalie mask is not really higher end, e.g., cheaper materials and does little to disperse the trauma. He could take a shot off the noggin and still suffer a concussion. And if the mask fails due to a particular shot, he could suffer worse damage. Not to say that high end expensive masks never fail (nothing is 100%).

As mentioned, these generally refer to the lower level Itechs. Keep in mind that Bauer acquired Itech some time ago and has continued the 1400/2500 masks (I had a customer come in, proudly told me he didn't buy the "crap Itech" online, but instead got a good price on a Bauer instead :facepalm: ).

Rule of thumb (for most people) is to avoid any mask that is constructed of plastic. The lowest level fibreglass mask (something along the lines of an Eddy GT) will provide much better protection than, say, a Bauer/Itech 2500 which will cost just as much.

It doesn't make sense to skimp on protection for the head, when you can save money by buying used or a lower level on everything else.

HOLY SHIT he was playing B-level hockey in a plastic mask. PLEASE tell me this is fixed by now.

THat should be one of the most important pieces of goalie equipment... look around online on at some goalie forums. Am sure you could pick up a good to fantastic mask for a portion of the retail price.

ahem... one of the three most important in a group that is made up of "mask" and "big outer cup" and "smaller inner cup"