Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rangers1234

Paypal Scam

I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but my Paypal account has been sending unauthorized money $18 at a time to random people. Plus I can't even get into my account to put a claim in. For the first time ever, they are asking me to verify all of my listed credit cards and bank account numbers. I can find all this information, but it's just weird timing.

Does anyone have a phone number for paypal? I've tried finding it on their web-site and I'm just getting a loading bar.

Has anyone else had this happen and were you able to get your money back?

Thanks

I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but my Paypal account has been sending unauthorized money $18 at a time to random people. Plus I can't even get into my account to put a claim in. For the first time ever, they are asking me to verify all of my listed credit cards and bank account numbers. I can find all this information, but it's just weird timing.

Does anyone have a phone number for paypal? I've tried finding it on their web-site and I'm just getting a loading bar.

Has anyone else had this happen and were you able to get your money back?

Thanks

The number I found on the PayPal site is 1-402-935-2050.

4am-10pm PST M-F, and 6a-8p Sa-Su

How did you find out about the problem, and who asked you for all that info? Was it an e-mail or by phone? Telephone phishing scams are also common, and caller ID's can be faked. Your account could also have already been hacked. I've never had this happen to me, but it sounds like you need to get in touch with PayPal directly, and with your bank too. Hope you get it straightened out!

The number I found on the PayPal site is 1-402-935-2050.

4am-10pm PST M-F, and 6a-8p Sa-Su

How did you find out about the problem, and who asked you for all that info? Was it an e-mail or by phone? Telephone phishing scams are also common, and caller ID's can be faked. Your account could also have already been hacked. I've never had this happen to me, but it sounds like you need to get in touch with PayPal directly, and with your bank too. Hope you get it straightened out!

Thanks for the info. I checked my e-mail yesterday on my phone and I saw all the transactions. 20 transactions at $18 a pop so far.

Whatever you do, do not reply directly to that email and do not give out any account information (Paypal and Banking accounts). The emails you are receiving may be attempts at phishing in the hopes that you will try to log in from the email you have received stating that you made a $18 transaction. Try to log in directly through Paypal.com's website. There are different phishing attempts going around for Paypal.

I had a similar problem with paypal a few years ago. They were not helpful on the phone at all. I had to get to a supervisor and threaten action with the NYS Banking Department and Attorney General. Even then the way I solved it easiest was to change my paypal account by closing the original and opening a second account. Then cancel the cards that were attached to the paypal account and then only reattach one to the new account. Do NOT attach a checking or savings account to your paypal account. I almost lost $2,000.00 USD that way. If I caught it 24 hours later I would have lost that much or more. Good Luck!!

I had a similar problem with paypal a few years ago. They were not helpful on the phone at all. I had to get to a supervisor and threaten action with the NYS Banking Department and Attorney General. Even then the way I solved it easiest was to change my paypal account by closing the original and opening a second account. Then cancel the cards that were attached to the paypal account and then only reattach one to the new account. Do NOT attach a checking or savings account to your paypal account. I almost lost $2,000.00 USD that way. If I caught it 24 hours later I would have lost that much or more. Good Luck!!

Crap I did that with mine about 2 months ago. Maybe I should unlink them?

I got a free checking account at my bank that I keep 10 bucks in - that's the only one that gets anywhere near my PayPal account. As soon as money comes into that account from PayPal, it is immediately moved into my real (private) checking account.

I got a free checking account at my bank that I keep 10 bucks in - that's the only one that gets anywhere near my PayPal account. As soon as money comes into that account from PayPal, it is immediately moved into my real (private) checking account.

that's a really good idea. I currently have my checking account that I use on a regular basis hooked up to paypal. Since you can pay with a credit card, I should do what you do haha

rachel has a good system. You just have to transfer money in when you buy something and transfer out when you sell. You can do it all online and paypal has no access to real money.

rachel has a good system. You just have to transfer money in when you buy something and transfer out when you sell. You can do it all online and paypal has no access to real money.

Exactly. Online transfers in and out of the sacrificial account take a few moments at my bank's website, and PayPal can suck it if they think they're getting money from me without my authorization - they have no access to my real account and never will.