Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goaliemanshark

Robot hockey

This is totally out of left field, but for the last few years I have been involved in the "sport" of combat robotics (think robot wars or battlebots). It can cost a fair amount of money and is incredibly nerdy, but it's still fun. Recently they have been combining Combat robotics with hockey to create "bot hockey". Its basically three 15 pound rc cars on each team pushing around a street hockey puck into a goal. These bots are usually purpose built for the "sport" and they are usually pretty simple in design. "Checking" is encouraged.

Im curious, as hockey players, what do you guys think?

As both a hockey player and fellow nerd, I approve of the concept wholeheartedly. I actually did a few robotics competitions involving various sorts of gameplay, so I have some experience here. If I might be so bold as to say so, it seems to me that the current version of your game there is a bit too simple though - appears to be reduced to mostly a shoving match. Not saying its easy - I'm sure it is quite tough and I mean no disrespect - I'm just thinking it could use a more involved challenge to make it more fun to watch and harder to design. For example, if you had to pick up and carry the puck... or maybe if scoring a goal required throwing the puck in such a way that you couldn't simply push it... perhaps if you actually had to use a stick... just a little something more so you're not just building an armored R/C car. My opinion, fwiw.

EDIT: After watching a bit more, I see that a few of the bots can get off a bit of a wrister and it is quite the fast-paced game. I'd still like to see 'em use sticks though :-)

Kind of reminded me of a mites game with everybody crashing into the puck carrier.

I really enjoyed the idea and taking a look at the video. My 3 year saw it too and wants to go watch a game sometime.

As both a hockey player and fellow nerd, I approve of the concept wholeheartedly. I actually did a few robotics competitions involving various sorts of gameplay, so I have some experience here. If I might be so bold as to say so, it seems to me that the current version of your game there is a bit too simple though - appears to be reduced to mostly a shoving match. Not saying its easy - I'm sure it is quite tough and I mean no disrespect - I'm just thinking it could use a more involved challenge to make it more fun to watch and harder to design. For example, if you had to pick up and carry the puck... or maybe if scoring a goal required throwing the puck in such a way that you couldn't simply push it... perhaps if you actually had to use a stick... just a little something more so you're not just building an armored R/C car. My opinion, fwiw.

EDIT: After watching a bit more, I see that a few of the bots can get off a bit of a wrister and it is quite the fast-paced game. I'd still like to see 'em use sticks though :-)

None of these bots are mine, so no offense taken! I plan on making an actual hockeybot, made by an actual hockey player, it will have plenty of blades and pads and shafts and stuff. Im really excited! The shooting mechanisms they use can be quite... unadvanced. I agree it needs to be more "involved".

The next competition is San Francisco at "Robogames" in April. The big 220 robots are the real draw though, those things are freaking crazy. I never built anything above 3 pounds... Ill post another video for your enjoyment.

None of these bots are mine, so no offense taken! I plan on making an actual hockeybot, made by an actual hockey player, it will have plenty of blades and pads and shafts and stuff. Im really excited! The shooting mechanisms they use can be quite... unadvanced. I agree it needs to be more "involved".

The next competition is San Francisco at "Robogames" in April. The big 220 robots are the real draw though, those things are freaking crazy. I never built anything above 3 pounds... Ill post another video for your enjoyment.

Sounds like a blast! I was a technical advisor to one of the teams in the 1997 First competition. It was in the days before Youtube and I don't have any pics handy (never scanned them in), but there's a description and pic on page two of the historical summary (PDF) if you're curious.