Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aal

Double felt tongue

My skates are a little too deep, and it was suggested to me to have an extra piece of felt sewn onto the tongues. Anyone have any pros or cons of doing this?

You could try a thicker footbed which will take up some of the volume or try cutting a sheet of cork to size and place under the existing footbed. You can get it in different thicknesses to get it just right. http://www.bangorcork.com/

Of course, getting proper fitting skates is always best. These are just 'fixes' for a an ill-fitting boot.

I have a hard to fit foot, and the skates fit me better than any others. (Graf g5 in narrow.) They're just a little deep. As far as the cork under the footbed, does it hold up to moisture ok? Thanks.

I'm no expert in skate fitting, but it seems to me that raising the footbed would not only change the fit of the skate, but also the performance (i.e. your foot is higher relative to the center of gravity of the skate). I'm happy to be corrected, but I would think that adding felt to the tongue would not cause that type of performance change.

Sewing an extra layer (or more) of felt onto the inside of your tongue will be really easy to DIY if you're up for it. Buy some felt pieces from a fabric store (should be only a few dollars per yard). Cut out a piece to fit the tongue, place it between your foot and the tongue and then tighten your laces like normal. You should be able to try it out skating without it shifting much. Try adding and subtracting layers and/or cutting the shape until you like it.

When you're ready to make it permanent, grab one of these: http://www.speedystitcher.com and you'll have it done in about 15 minutes per skate. You can always remove it.

I haven't ever been satisfied with the fit of aftermarket insoles. That's why I was interested in the extra tongue padding. I was told it is done regularly on pro skates, but often really just to give some extra shot blocking padding.