Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

G-Form Lace Bite Pads

I was thrilled with the chance to test out a new pad that would help prevent lace bite. A little bit of background information before beginning. O have skated on Easton S17's for the past 2 years, and RBK 9K's for a season and a half before that. On both pairs of skates, though they fit well, I didn't have comfort right at the top eyelet, and therefore it was always left undone. Hopefully these will allow me to wear my skates more efficiently. I have tried sponges, bandaids, the whole nine yards, the only problem I have ever had, is depth around the top eyelet.

Upon receiving the package, the first thing that I noticed was how ingenious and yet simple the concept was. Once pictures get uploaded, you can see for yourself, they are a simple gel square, with a sticky back that you place on the inside of your skate tongue. if removed to apply on a different pair of skates, simply get it wet. The way that this pad has been shaped, it will allow it to follow the form of the tongue, with means if you tuck it will wrap around the top of your forefoot area, however since I have always gone "tongues out" it will be interesting to see how these sit. The gel itself seems very durable, yet doesn't feel like it will hurt, it seems to spread pressure out along the pad, which is a good thing, as that's what it should do.

My first skate with these will be thursday, so i'll have a first review either friday or sometime over the weekend, I will also try to get some pictures posted, as this will help explain some of the details that I have gone over.

Once again, I would like to thank JR for giving me the chance to try these, as well as G-form.

Stay tuned.

So, after my weekend I've had the chance to skate on my gel pads twice. here's what I've come to find.

Keep in mind, usually my lace bite is around the top eyelet, so that is where I stuck the gel pads, and this took away some of my flop, as I had a natural formed crease slightly below that.

First off, I found that they were very comfortable. I laced my skates up like I normally would just in the top eyelet, and found that it did quite feel the greatest, so I loosened them a little, and voila I was ready to go. once the skate started, everything felt fine, it's weird to describe the gel pads, you know they're there, but its a comfortable pressure thats added on to your foot.

About halfway through my skate, i felt that one of them was slightly out of place, as it didnt feel as natural as my other one, went to the bench and after some slight pulling and tugging it was fine. The rest of the session went without a problem.

Before my second session, I noticed that the reason it felt uncomfortable was because my shinpads were too long, before they would "rest" right above where my skates were tied, obviously, since I moved my laces up, they rub against each other, so I took my dads shin pads, 1 inch shorter than mine. MASSIVE DIFFERENCE. Didn't have a single complaint or even notice them the entire time.

As the others have said, I am also curious how the adhesive is going to stay, and I may try to experiment with my flop a little.

Stay tuned.

After my last skate, one of my lace pads slipped off as I took my skate off, so I soaked it as it says on the instructions, and I found that this removed all adhesive from the back, so I am slightly disappointed in the fact that I have on that sticks perfectly right now, and one that wont, we'll see if they stick after they dry for my skate tonight.

after 5 or six skates, i find that the center of my gel pads are permanently stuck to my tongues, however the tops and bottoms still come lose when not in use, this could be because of how I wear my skates with my tongues flopped, however before every ice time i've found that the pads are still sticky, so i just press them down and I no longer have any problems. I for one am sold on this product. this has been the first time since I bought my skates that i have been able to lace them right up to the top eyelet and feel no pain. truly an amazing product considering how simple the theory behind it is. and for 10 dollars, you can't go wrong. before the end of this month I will be investing in new skates, and will immediately be swapping out the tongues, I will try them once without the gel pads, and then with to see a direct comparison.