Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xrickyb86x

San Francisco Adult Hockey

You guys might have seen my post last year about me moving to San Jose. It didn't happen. Turns out SF is more of a possibility this winter. I found two ice hockey rinks. Oakland ice and Yerba Buena. I'm just wondering which one has the better adult league (skill, cost, time slots, etc.)? If we move we will be crashing with the ladies folks for a bit which is walking distance from Yerba Buena and not too far of a drive to Oakland ice so travel is not a big issue.

Also, is there any roller hockey in SF?

Edit: To give an idea of my skill level... I play D3 in San Diego. In my league D1 is mostly ex D1 college/minor leaguers, D2 is a lot of the youth coaches, D3 is typical beer league.

The Oakland Ice leagues are really good. The only thing I hate is the area, as my car has been broken into before. They have added a parking lot, which has helped with parking. Sundays are packed with the two lowest levels, which are bronze and Silver C. There are a total of twenty teams between the two leagues, so current spill over games are saturdays for Silver C and tuesdays for bronze.

The Yerba Buena lowest level is on thursday nights. It is not a beginner league at all though. I'd compare it to between Silver B and Silver C at Oakland. Parking kinda sucks at Yerba Buena. If you have a 11 PM game, then you can't park on one side of the street, as street cleaning is at midnight and they ticket.

Thanks for the info. How's the ice at each place? If you had to pick one, which one would you pick? Need anyone on your team? :cool:

OIC has better ice. Yerba Buena can be terrible on warm days. I think the glass walls make the ice crappy. On one hot day last summer, we were playing in a fog! The games should've been cancelled.

I don't play regularly at either anymore. I do sub at OIC once in awhile. I would play at OIC, but I'm in the process of moving to the Sacramento area.

I wont be in SF until early January and I think I have found a team. My fiance's is in SF already and our new neighbors play adult hockey in SF and said I can skate with them when I'm there. I don't know the skill level but I guess I'll find out.