Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Mission M-1 Pants

Product: Mission '03 M-1 pants, black XL

Reviewer specs: 6-2, 220 lbs.

Intro/Intangibles

I got these a couple of months ago and used them maybe 20 times.

Protection

This pant is a tank. If protection is your main issue, these pants will take you into any battle. The back protector is a really great feature. It is huge, protects the entire lower back, yet it never get's in the way. It is constructed in a way that it stays close to the body but still flexes with every movement. All other pads are very sturdy, too.

9 out of 10 points

Fit/Weight

These pads fit rather loose which goes along with quite some bulk. The bulky feeling was toned down once the pants broke in. The lace-up + two belt system works well. The huge back protector never gets in the way. The massive protection comes along with a rather high weight. For the amount of protection these pants are well fitting (if you like loose fitting pants).

One thing really bothered me though: The velcro-closures that fix the zippers are poorly constructed. As it is a massive two-ply nylon closure it really gets in the way while skating. On every stride the two closures rub against each other and catch up which was really disturbing. As I never open the zippers I simply cut off the velcros, cut out the zipper's heads and stiched up the zippers so they wouldn't open up.

7 out of 10 points

Craftsmanship/Durability

Oh well. First of, I got the '03 model on closeout for 80 bucks so my expectations were not overly high. However, I have been disappointed by the craftsmanship put into these pants. The outer nylon material is not high quality. This goes along with a lot of small details that declass this product. I mentioned the velco closures. The eyelets for the lace-up front are much thicker than the nylon fabric which causes the eyelets to fit sloppily. The list goes on. Finally, the pant died after 20 icetimes because of a ripped-out belt. The lower of the two belts is not floating around the entire body. The right end of the belt, which was less than a foot long, ripped out at its end seam. I had lost that ripped out part at the rink so I couldn't sew it back in. It was obviously worth a warranty claim, yet as I bought it in the US (living in Germany) I couldn't return it to the place of purchase.

With all these downsides, especially the ripped belt after only 20 icetimes, I give it 4/10 for craftsmanship/durabiliy. Considering that this pant retails for 139 USD, which is a high-end price tag, one must really expect more from a pant.

4 out of 10 points

Conclusion

This sure is a highly protective pant. If you like loose-fitting pants and if you do not mind its bulkiness, give it a try. However, don't expect much in terms of overall quality. If you can find them on closeout (currently 50 bucks at hockeygiant), they are worth the money. I wouldn't pay much more for them, though.

Overall 5 out of 10 points

Product: Mission M-1 pants, black XL

Reviewer specs: 6-1, 225 lbs.

Intro/Intangibles

I just retired these pants after three years.

Protection

Excellent thigh and hip protection. In fact, the pads on the thighs are so thick that they actually take a little while to really break in and form to your leg. I've never been in pain after blocking a shot that hit any of the padding in these pants. I also love the spinal protection pad. It has a bit of pressure on your back so even if you bend a bit, it stays with you. This feature was retained for the newer pants. 9/10

Fit/Weight

The dual belt and laces allow you to customize the fit to the way you like it. They are not a light pant, and considering the amount of protection they offer it's not a surprise. If you have thin legs and like a snug fit on the thighs, stay away from the M1 pant. I have large legs and don't like the legs to be snug and they work well for me. 9/10

Craftsmanship/Durability

Every significant part of the pant held up well for me, but there were signs of wear over the years. The velcro tabs would catch and not stay closed so I simply cut off those tabs after a year or so. After three years the material attached to the eyelets pulled away from the pants and the strap buttons started to fall off, but that's not entirely unexpected from a pant with that many miles on them. 7.5/10

Conclusion

It's a very protective pant that worked very well for me. They are/were more protective than most other pants in the $99 price range, their original retail price. I got mine much cheaper than that off of eBay and I couldn't be happier with them. Obviously there are a couple minor details that would be nice to change, but the simple fact that I didn't replace them for three years should tell you something. 8.5/10

I'll try not to wait three years before reviewing my new pants, Tackla 9000s.