Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kirkomlett1

Slide Board

Thinking of getting a slide board to use at home. Has anyone used one and does it really help with your skating stride?

Thanks

I have used one and I think and feel like it has helped with my stride. Like anything, the key to it is to be dedicated and really work on extending the leg. FYI, I have an 8' slide board and I am 6' and it is long enough. It is just one of the roll up ones and it works just fine.

I have used one and I think and feel like it has helped with my stride. Like anything, the key to it is to be dedicated and really work on extending the leg. FYI, I have an 8' slide board and I am 6' and it is long enough. It is just one of the roll up ones and it works just fine.

Okay thanks. I was wondering which size so that helps a lot.

I have used them many times. Certainly a good workout and I'm sure it has helped develop more power in my strides.

A slideboard is great not only for working on your stride (kind of), it's a great conditioning tool, and there are lots of other exercises you can use it for, not just legs/cardio. A must-have for any hockey player IMO.

A slideboard is great not only for working on your stride (kind of), it's a great conditioning tool, and there are lots of other exercises you can use it for, not just legs/cardio. A must-have for any hockey player IMO.

True. Slide boards were included in weekly circuit workouts for my previous team. OP asked about helping with skating stride so I kept it simple. :wink:

Awesome, I'm glad someone started a thread on this topic. For Christmas my girlfriend bought me a roll up shooting pad and I was really hoping to use it along with a slide board to mimic stick handling while skating. Anyone else use the two together like that? Seems like it would be a good work out at home that will focus on stride and improve my skill sets.

Here's the link to a YouTube video of someone using a slideboard with a shooting pad. He doesn't use the two together until about two-thirds of the way through the video, but it looks like a good combo to get some off-ice training with:

How's the roll up treating you? Work pretty well? Think 6' is enough?

so far I really like it. Its big enough that I can put down some puck and stick handle around them. I've been finding different drills on youtube and then practicing them on the roll up pad.

Just ordered it yesterday after reading 5MM's post. Wanted to read at least one person here say that it isn't pure junk. Now we have two. I'll let you know how it works for me.

From my understanding and reading, a 6' board is a junior board or for someone 5' 7" or less in height. I'm sure their is some variability in stride. 8' is the adult size? I wonder how the roll up boards compare to the fixed boards as storage is important especially in an apartment. I am also interested in getting feedback on the 6' board.

did you use screws to fix it to the floor or is it possible to use without?

I (my girlfriend :wink: ) would prefer to move it back in the closet after use and i also believe that the guy i'm renting the appartment from wouldn't be happy if i put screws in the wooden floor.

Slide boards are great for part of a hockey workout. The video showed a good way to use it for stickhandling as well. I won't get into a huge rant about how improperly he was shooting through the video.

Hopefully you find the board that you get to be quite useful!