Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

AHL Outdoor Classic in Hamilton

Looks like there are plans for an outdoor game at Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton between the Toronto Marlies and Hamilton Bulldogs on the same day the Habs play the Leafs. Readthis

Hamilton gets another chance to prove it's a real "hockey town". I hope attendance is better than the Charity game they played during the Lock Out. Just over 10,000 in a stadium set up to hold almost 28,000.

Hamilton gets another chance to prove it's a real "hockey town". I hope attendance is better than the Charity game they played during the Lock Out. Just over 10,000 in a stadium set up to hold almost 28,000.

sign me up for this. I try to hit up one marlies a game a month and one OHL game a month.

This would be awesome.

Got a chance to skate on the outdoor rink at Ivor Wynne Stadium tonight (with MSHer jds). The Bulldogs and Marlies office staffers had a game at 4p. They were the first to skate on it. We (the Media) had an invite for a shinny game at 6p...and then there was a Media/Family skate at 7. It opens for public rentals Tomorrow or Wednesday with the Habs/Leafs Alumni game on Friday night and the "Showdown in Steeltown" on Saturday at 1p.

The ice was very good...not unlike any rink I've ever played (and better than Copps on most nights)...but as we went it got cut up pretty bad. It had a very eerie hollow sound to it to...on account of the rink being built on a wood platform about a foot off the ground. Gonna sound great when the pros are skating on it. I will say...skating West (into the wind)...not fun AT ALL!

Radio what was the rental price per hour if you know?

I think it's around $1500/hr. I know a guy who has it rented this Wed. He's charging everyone $50 to play...but they get a ticket to each game for that. I heard today that they are doing rentals for $700 (with no tickets included)...but that is second hand info...not confirmed.

There are a bunch of ticket packages depending on the level of seats you want. I got it for the purchase of 30 $50 tickets, so $1500 but if you were going to the game anyway and were going to buy a ticket, then the rental is, in effect free. (Provided you can find 30 like-minded individuals). If you rent as a business you can get a tax receipt since the money goes to the charitable Bulldog Foundation.

threw together a vid of the process of the rink build for our website(including footage of the game Radio and I were in. We aren't in the video. I was filming with my iPhone and Matt is way too fast to capture on video)

threw together a vid of the process of the rink build for our website(including footage of the game Radio and I were in. We aren't in the video. I was filming with my iPhone and Matt is way too fast to capture on video)

A ha...not true. At 1:31 I skate through the shot. Red Habs practice jersey with the white hoodie underneath!

A ha...not true. At 1:31 I skate through the shot. Red Habs practice jersey with the white hoodie underneath!

Right you are. I was mesmerized by the speed of Patrick Roy there.

Not so pleased with the result (Marlies won 7-2)...but I PVR'd the game and watched some of it when I got home. It looked AMAZING...

Getting to be part of the production team was a very cool experience. Seeing how much work/planning goes into an event of this size...makes me shutter to think what things like the Oscars, Grey Cup or Super Bowl must be like.

Scott..."a bit of a dump" is an insult to dumps everywhere. LOL. I'm not from Hamilton...so I don't hold IWS in the high esteem that many around here seem too...but it will be good to see it go and get something that is a little more up to date and reliable. I felt bad for the guys hauling giant flight cases with cameras and things down the snowy stairs outside the pressbox when the elevator died (on more than one occasion).

Rematch next Friday at Copps. Hopefully some of the 20,000+ decide that AHL hockey is pretty damn good and decide to come back...

Put together a fun video of my regular Monday night guys when we rented the ice at Ivor Wynne last week. It really is cool to play outside on a rink like this. Had to use cool music to pump up the speed of the game :tongue: