Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Miken Razor Z9 - skyscrape

Hey guys. Like a few others have stated already, I want to thank the Forum and Miken for this opportunity to be a long term reviewer of the stick.

I went with the BP8 in 90 flex. The sticks are about an inch longer than a bauer so I only needed to put a one inch plug in it. I have been sick since I received the stick, so the extent of my use has been in the garage stick handling. The balance is amazing! With the plug, taped handle, and a waxed and taped blade it weighs 492 grams. About the same weight as my total ones at the same length and 22 grams heavier than my APX at the same length. It may be due to the balance, but I can not feel the difference in hand between the Miken and the APX. On the other hand I can between the APX and total one and again the t-one and Z9 weigh the same. I will not say anything about the blade feel based off using it with a stick handling ball. But... I will say a few things about the looks. Looks to me do not mean anything! But it is still part of the review. COmpared to any other high end stick I would have to say the finish of the stick does not compare. The white paint on the bottom portion of the stick takes away from the stick. The paint on mine has sank into the low spots of the clear coat or carbon weave, causing the finish not to be smooth. It also looks like too much paint has been applied and is not a smooth finish. If this is the best composite you can get I think they should show it off.

As far as the curve goes, I believe the curve is more like the p08 than the carzy ovi. I like it though and believe it will be much more useful than the Harrow Pattern 10 I have used.

Shape is smaller in dimension than I expected and for my big hands will be interesting.

I look forward to using it in the next couple days.

I have been sick the past two weeks, so outside of a 30 minute stick time I have not been able to use the stick. I will say that during the stick time I was able to take a few passes, make a few passes, and shoot a bit. I was really impressed with the feel of the stick catching passes! I expected it to be pingy but it was not. The stick kicks hard on wrist and snap shots as well! Very impressed so far. Hoping to feel well enough to make it to a couple drop-ins next week.

I finally got a chance to skate with the stick a bit after being sick for the last couple weeks. Here is what I have to say at this point. With a plug in it, it feels too blade light to me. SHooting is nice, but to me does not pop as much as the APX. Puck feel is nice, but not as nice as the APX. Durability is a topic that still needs more time to safely say. I am skating a 2 hours stick and puck in the morning so I will really get a feel for it, but at this point I would say it is a nice premier line stick, but at this point if it were the same price as an APX 249.00 or a Totalone 229.00 I would take those sticks over this one. Who knows...hopefully it will grow on me.

Well.....I was able to use this stick for a 1 1/2 hr stick and puck today. I think I figured out the correct link and this made all the difference in the world! FIrst off, the BP8 is shorter than the pattern 10 and crazy ovi's I have seen. It is more like a p14 as far as the length goes. SO When I cut the stick I did not take this into account and extended it too much. now that it is the right length I must say...Holy Crap this thing kicks!!!!! I have been having issues burying the puck with my APX sticks accuracy is all over the place, but I wanted to dial this stick in before I used it in games and I finally got it there today. This will be my stick for our game tomorrow night. It puts the puck exactly where I want it to! Tonight I thought to myself, maybe I am just shooting lights out. So I grabbed my APX and started missing the target again. Went back and grabbed the Miken and started drilling my targets again. Bar down, bar around, you name it I was hitting it. The only issue I have is with Slap SHots. I have to learn to let the stick do the work at a 90 flex. But the snap and wrist shots were faster than with the APX so I am ok with taking a wrister instead for now. Once I got used to the light bade feel It felt great. Stick handling was a dream! Blade feel is right up there with the APX on handling the puck and surpasses that in my opinion on catching passes. I am glad I worked on finding the right length as this has changed my feelings from one extreme to the other. Only complaint is still regarding dimensions. It is a very small shaft but I will get used to it. The BP8 is impossible to get good backhand sauce with though.

I will let you guys know how it goes in the game.

First game under the belt with the Razor. 1 assist and 1 goal bar down, short side, from just inside the blue line, set up by a beautiful drop pass and using the d man as a screen. Pin point accuracy. I had a stretch pass from left defensive goal line to the rw on the far right side blue line that was moving and tape to tape. The passing is usually a good point for me, but this stick makes it even easier. As for the goal...I do not normally pull that shot off. I normally sail it high or wide, but this one smoked the goalie. My team and people watching the game commented after "you have been working on your accuracy a bit?", so I knew at this point the stick is very accurate and will be my main stick. As for durability, no paint chips, but going into the corners digging for pucks kind of scares me. I am afraid the blade is going to come a part. I have no reason other than it just feels lightweight in hand, but in reality it is stiffer than the blade on my apx. As far as what I would be willing to pay...at this point if it keeps playing like this I would pay 200-230.00 for the stick. If it holds up and keeps its pop and accuracy it will be the one I stick with period! As far as the appearance and swaying non-Miken users away from their brand and over to Miken, I think a 180-200.00 price point would be a good start. But, if Easton, warrior, and Bauer can sell their sticks for what they are selling them for...Miken could as well. Just my two cents... Thanks again for the chance to use and abuse this bad boy!

So after one full stick time and one full game I took the tape off. There is a pretty hefty chip missing on the heel of the blade and what appears to be a hairline crack along the top of the face of the blade. That is two focused skates of use. I have never had this happen before and nothing happened out of the ordinary. I am not sure if it is the white paint or if it is a crack I need to worry about. The blade does not seem to have lost any integrity, but this kinda scares me. I typically replace sticks when the lose their pop, not due to breakage. We shall see!

I really hope it is just superficial, because I am really stoked on the performance.

I believe the damage is superficial that was mentioned before. I played twice since noticing and it has not changed. Still a lot of pop. Still a stiff blade. Scored on a wicked one timer just blocker side of dead center in the slot. I did not even see it nor did the goalie. Only heard it go left post cross bar right corner. Untaped it tonight the chips remain the same size. I would still like slightly larger dimensions. But if the dimension change modified performance I would stick with this shape.

A few more cracks have popped up. Essentially every time I take the tape off I see a new crack. They are almost exclusively in the white paint of the blade. The blade has not lost any rigidity and I am grateful for that! I now will be able to compare almost identical sticks between a p08 totalone and the Miken. I Bought the total one for the purpose of comparing the Miken to a top tier name brand. Up until this point my Bauer sticks have all been P91a or p92's, and all have been at least 102 flex. I must say without even playing with the Bauer it now feels blade heavy compared to the Miken. This is not going to be a review of the total one, just a comparison for those out there who would consider the total one. I already have the feeling that I wasted my money on the Bauer and probably should have ordered another Miken...but we shall see.

I still love the kick and feel of the Razor. Now I will find out if it's because it is an amazing stick or because I got used to it...

So here it goes...I have not had a chance to pay with the miken this week, but I just finished a game with the Total One. I did have some great passes and a beauty of a goal, but performance of the stick was lacking after spending the past couple months with the Miken.

Shootout between the Miken Razor Z9 and Bauer Total One and the winner is...the Miken. Pretty impressed at this point, I am hoping to get a chance to compare to an 87 flex APX next.

I recently purchased an APX 87 flex p08 because I am weird and I felt obligated to compare the Z9 to both top line Bauer sticks. I would have to say...the Razor stick holds its own hands down!!! I can not say one stick is better than the other, but I can and will say the Miken should be considered without a doubt when looking at a top end stick. I think the Miken kicks a little harder than the APX but the puck feel on the APX slightly edges it out. The thing that must be said here...the Miken(200.00 stick) is just as good as a APX(249.00 stick). If someone offered me a new Z9 for my new APX I would take it though. Now the true test...which one lasts longer. Until next time.

I really can not add anything new other than the stick is still going strong. Still great pop. The only thing that keeps me from using it all the time is the shaft dimensions. It is small compared to the others.

It has been a while since I had played with the Z9. I had been using a p08 apx with good results so I thought why switch. Well...the other night I finally got the right extension back in the Z9 and took it out to compare again to the APX. I stand by my original statement. The Z9 kicks harder releases faster and feels as good as the APX. If they were the same price I would buy another Miken before I bought another APX but since the Miken is 50.00 cheaper I will have to say it is a no brainer. I will be buying Miken for a while. Stick is till going strong.