Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mug25

Leg Workout for Hockey

I don't want to thread jack, but I've got a question in a somewhat similar area so here goes. Lately I've noticed that I've been losing a bit of both hip and low-back mobility and flexibility, in all planes (mostly front to back and rotational). I've been attempting to work on it with foam rolling and some stretching but have been seeing limited results. Does anyone have any good ways of increasing hip and low-back mobility/flexibility?

This is the best resource for that: http://www.mobilitywod.com/

Kelly Starret is amazing - seriously, spend some time over there. Put hips in the search function - you should get about 10 good vids.

You should get some bands, a lacrosse ball and one of these: http://www.rumbleroller.com/ (foam rollers just compress - this one actually does the micro-stretching of muscle fibers that you get from a massage.

Single arm push press with the unloaded end of the barbell wedged against something

Sorry if it's a dumb question...but that just works the arms? I cant imagine they'd have him doing that workout for hockey specific training if it was only arms.

Sorry if it's a dumb question...but that just works the arms? I cant imagine they'd have him doing that workout for hockey specific training if it was only arms.

It's working almost his entire body. Try it.

Plus having it anchored helps smooth out the motion and saves the lifter from tearing up the rotator cuff.

Seeing as I split my days into body parts (ie: legs on their own day, back on it's own etc.,) what day could I put that exercise with? Shoulder day?

I have been following defrancos westside for skinny bastards program and I already see a difference. Single legged squats are helping a lot!!!

Seeing as I split my days into body parts (ie: legs on their own day, back on it's own etc.,) what day could I put that exercise with? Shoulder day?

I typically do the landmine press as a shoulder exercise in terms of routine but it's certainly a complete body exercise.

I typically do the landmine press as a shoulder exercise in terms of routine but it's certainly a complete body exercise.

Did it for the first time tonight. It's insane! I'm pretty damn strong and I was expecting 2 plates to be easy but even pushing those up took a lot out of me. I did them as my third exercise into the workout so I was already fatigued but I like them. Definitely felt it all throughout the body.

Did it for the first time tonight. It's insane! I'm pretty damn strong and I was expecting 2 plates to be easy but even pushing those up took a lot out of me. I did them as my third exercise into the workout so I was already fatigued but I like them. Definitely felt it all throughout the body.

Thats like throwing a 90 lb db around. That is not easy! Strong work!

Thats like throwing a 90 lb db around. That is not easy! Strong work!

My first set, I did the bar only just to get the form down, 2nd and 3rd set I did a 45# then on my last two sets I did on 45# plate + one 25#. I think next week I'll be able to up the weight. I'm definitely going to make it a staple in my workouts. That and front squats, two new things I tried out this week that were successful.

One thing to remember with that exercise is that you want it to be explosive from your legs, hips, core. You don't want to just muscle it up with your shoulder.

One thing to remember with that exercise is that you want it to be explosive from your legs, hips, core. You don't want to just muscle it up with your shoulder.

Yup! I watched the videos numerous times and I think I got the movement down really well. My legs were killing me at the end since Wednesdays are my leg day and I did this the following day.

My gym still refuses to get a glute ham raise machine, so I'm stuck doing them on the floor. Does anyone know if its better to do them with the knees directly on the ground, like so:

)

or with your knees elevated on a bosu ball, like so:

)?

I've tried both and the knees on the ground method feels more difficult, but I think that's mostly because I'm able to control myself on the way down more with that method, making that part of the move slower. But from what I've read part of what makes the exercise so useful is the combined hip and knee extension and I feel like doing it with the knees directly on the floor limits the hip extension. Thoughts?

I thought the same thing before trying them. My impression is that hyperextensions are focused on the low back because the only joint that flexes/extends is the hips. Whereas the glute ham raise is focused on the hamstrings and glutes because you're getting flexion/extension at both the knees and the hips. I certainly feel these a lot more in the glutes and hamstrings (they're easily the hardest I've worked my posterior chain at once). I can feel those muscles working a little bit when I do hyperextensions, but not nearly as hard.

My opinion as well.

@mug- It is a hyperextension. The big difference is that you can adjust distance of your feet from the pad a hell of a lot more on a ghd setup than on your typical hyperextension set up at your gym. The other big difference is that with a ghd machine you go down so much farther and the leverage is so much different. The amount of work your posterior chain does at the top position beats anything the hyper machine will put your body through. Extension machines make the move a lot easier.

As far as floor vs. ball, I would say the ball is better but nothing will beat the ghd platform. I was working out at a crossfit gym for a while and the GHD machine tore me up!!! Especially for sit ups! My abs have never felt worse!

Yeah but half of the technique using the ghd is to relax the knee then flex while pushing against the plate with the soles of your feet. This is an option but for taller guys this will not work.