Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mug25

Leg Workout for Hockey

Thought's on the Isometric Deadlift? Looks very interesting.

http://bcove.me/re87c1bz

I've done them as well and think they're great. They really do strengthen you in that low position, to the point it has allowed me to be lower and keep a deeper knee bend while skating. The one thing I would say is to make sure you're really pulling up against the pins once the bar hits them. When I first started doing it I had a tendency to simply hold the bar against the pins, instead of continuing to pull and I didn't feel the burn he was talking about. But as long as you focus on driving through your heel and trying to pull the whole rack up off the floor, its a great exercise.

Did the iso deadlifts...let's just say they were not easy at all...I finished ONE set of 10 (each leg). 8-10 second hold. I had hoped to do 3 sets of 8....

I'm thinking about trying these but it looks like an easy way to mess up your back if you are not careful. I'm also thinking about trying a skating treadmill-there is one near me that is offering a special rate. Anyone have any experience with this in terms of building skate specific leg strength?

I'm thinking about trying these but it looks like an easy way to mess up your back if you are not careful. I'm also thinking about trying a skating treadmill-there is one near me that is offering a special rate. Anyone have any experience with this in terms of building skate specific leg strength?

Hence learning proper form. Start with low weight, work on your form until it's perfect then up the weight.

The isometric deadlift doesn't require any weight at all. All of the resistance comes from pulling the bar up against the pins. If anything, adding weight decreases the effectiveness because it makes it more difficult to really pulls against the pins.

+1 Jump squats. Love doing those while catching a 12lb medicine ball my partner throws for me to catch at the top of the block. The leg burn proves it works.

The isometric deadlift doesn't require any weight at all. All of the resistance comes from pulling the bar up against the pins. If anything, adding weight decreases the effectiveness because it makes it more difficult to really pulls against the pins.

Exactly. I just slip on 25 plate on each side so it's easy to pick up the bar. Your entire lower body is fighting itself when you do it right. You lock and burrrrrnnnn.

I feel like an ass. I completely missed the pins part. I thought the isometric part came from holding a heavy load. Good thing I didn't cripple myself in my basement :facepalm:

The burn I got when pulling 135 against the pins was definitely more than my warmup sets. I can see where technique and form create the burn but there has to be a reason in every video of the exercise they're using weight.

The burn I got when pulling 135 against the pins was definitely more than my warmup sets. I can see where technique and form create the burn but there has to be a reason in every video of the exercise they're using weight.

The weight will force you to drive harder but it isn't necessary. There's no way you're going to break the steel pins by pulling up and driving too hard. If you can do that you don't need to workout. You're superhuman.

If you look closely at the video they're not using much weight. It looks like they're using a 10-15lb bumper plate on each side so it's at an easy height to pick up. They're definitely not using 45lb plates.

If you look closely at the video they're not using much weight. It looks like they're using a 10-15lb bumper plate on each side so it's at an easy height to pick up. They're definitely not using 45lb plates.

I didn't notice that they were bumper plates — just saw that they were the larger sized plates and assumed they were 45's.

I did too at first, then I tried it with 45lb plates and could barely hold it against the pins, let alone pull up on them. That's why I looked closer and noticed they were bumper plates.

I did too at first, then I tried it with 45lb plates and could barely hold it against the pins, let alone pull up on them. That's why I looked closer and noticed they were bumper plates.

I guess that explains why it was so hard...granted, I can squat 400lbs., my length strength is solid I still struggled to do 135 on the isometric deadlift.

Anyone else having success with the Isometric Deadlift? Skipped legs for a few weeks (shame on me) but getting back on it this Wednesday.

Just did the Iso Deadlift. I can't believe how much burning I felt after 8sec. I was able to do 2 sets but couldn't walk upstairs afterwards. Looks like I'm gonna be adding this to my normal routine.

Just did the Iso Deadlift. I can't believe how much burning I felt after 8sec. I was able to do 2 sets but couldn't walk upstairs afterwards. Looks like I'm gonna be adding this to my normal routine.

Feels good doesnt it? :)

Anyone else having success with the Isometric Deadlift? Skipped legs for a few weeks (shame on me) but getting back on it this Wednesday.

I've been doing them,and I really like them. I think the premise of putting you "in a lower skating position" is spot on, I've noticed I don't feel as tired when I really bust down the ice in my best Pavel Bure impersonation...

I have the same experience, but immediately after dropping the weight. I think my walk away from the rack looks something akin to the evolution of man walk, where I keep trying to get further and further upright...

How high of a box do you guys use to put your back foot on? I've been using about 18" but I kind of think I should be using something higher

Good question. I've been using 18", but I get a pinch behind my back knee that I don't like. I may try lower...