Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyrakos

shipping charges on OPS?

i just bought a synergy si-core off ebay and i paid 160cnd with free shipping.

but since i live in canada i had to pay duty. when i got the duty bill from ups they said the stick was 200$ u.s and i had to pay tax on 200, so i told them i payed 160 but they said the duty charges will only be 5$ cheaper??? if i send easton $95 worth of presents in order to get a stealth will i have to pay duty on 350 or 95???

thanks, spyrakos

First, never let any international shipper ship using UPS. They are outrageously expensive, and their brokerage houses and custom fees are through the roof. I ship internationally quite a bit, and I will use regular old Postal Service whenever possible. DHL is a close second.

Basically, the shipper had to include a shipping invoice with customs values. If they didn't include a shipping invoice, UPS' brokers can estimate whatever they deem appropriate. The best way of handling this in the future is to have the shipper include a shipping invoice with the cost of items listed on it and "FOR CUSTOMS USE ONLY" typed on it. This way if you only paid $XXUSD, that's all you are responsible for.

First, never let any international shipper ship using UPS. They are outrageously expensive, and their brokerage houses and custom fees are through the roof. I ship internationally quite a bit, and I will use regular old Postal Service whenever possible. DHL is a close second.

Basically, the shipper had to include a shipping invoice with customs values. If they didn't include a shipping invoice, UPS' brokers can estimate whatever they deem appropriate. The best way of handling this in the future is to have the shipper include a shipping invoice with the cost of items listed on it and "FOR CUSTOMS USE ONLY" typed on it. This way if you only paid $XXUSD, that's all you are responsible for.

Regardless of what you paid, the customs tax is based on the "value" of the item being shipped. This is how the Canadian government protects its local businesses. By putting high tariffs on items that can be purchased for significantly less in the US, the Canadian government is encouraging you to purchase Canadian goods or from Canadian sellers.

That's true for just about every country. All I am saying is that "value" is a very subjective term, and it should be claimed on your shipping invoice for Customs. This is generally the price they use to determine import tariffs. Otherwise, who knows what the "value" of your import will be? It becomes a bit of a guess, and brokers will almost always guess on the high side. Unless Canada is significantly different from the rest of the world, Customs agents aren't pouring over bluebooks to determine the value of every import.

The stealth coming from easton SHOULD be marked as a gift and you shouldn't pay duty on it. You arn't buying or paying for the stick in any way, you're donating to a charity, and Easton is giving you a stealth as a gift.

First, never let any international shipper ship using UPS. They are outrageously expensive, and their brokerage houses and custom fees are through the roof.

Unfortunately what you say has become all too true....really since 9-11, but those charges also apply to ground as well...not sure what happened. They used to be pretty reasonable and very reliable too, but UPS is pricing themselves out of the market. I think the word "Brown" as they seem so fond of calling themselves, refers to more than the color of their trucks and uniforms....The last time I shipped sticks to a buyer in Virginia, they ended up in Seattle, and only made it to my customer 3 weeks later..no refund either... as they promised.

And if the stick is made in the USA (a questionable event), there should be no duty on it..only Federal and Provincial sales taxes. Like the man said...a copy of the original invoice should always be included. The customs broker may have used the declared "insurance value" as the sales price, raised to $200.00 US to protect against the additional loss of shipping costs if it was damaged in transport. I am not sure if tax is also due on shipping charges up there.